Are the 3.75” Daleks canon?

EmperorDhs

Are the 3.75” Daleks canon?

Postby EmperorDhs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Okay...here me out on this...

We’ve had several new series 3.75 Daleks in colour schemes that never appeared on the show. Namely the Dalek Invasion of Earth, Dalek pilot and Stealth pilot designs. I know that Character Options evidentially took creative licensing to mind when they devised these but I was wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding the canonicity of such designs?

Do you believe that the Dalek Pilot design could’ve been a Time War rank within the canon of the main show? Or just a bit of fun by the manufacturers, like Dapol ones?

Doctor What

Re: Are the 3.75” Daleks canon?

Postby Doctor What » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:13 am

I think the pilot certainly is designed so that it could be canon, that unreleased stealth one and the classic coloured repaints are probably pushing it though.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:30 am

The thing with Daleks is that they really can be whatever you want. In genesis of the Daleks the Daleks are gunmetal grey, but then silver and blue in the Daleks, and at their supposed ‘end’ on skating in thefar future. But then they’re back to gunmetal grey in planet, and are the same in an alternate future of the time when they were silver and blue with discs and large bumpers.

Even though we see grey Daleks on screen in genesis, in the proper timeline, they were probably silver and blue. So likewise, if you wanna say that the Daleks in Invasion earth actually looked like what we got in the 3.75 pack, then sure thing!

Dalek history only really makes sense after destiny of the Daleks, it’s pretty much chronological. And the gold Daleks are just the evolution of the imperial Daleks (hence why Davies led them at the start of the time war and they weren’t recognised by the progenitor. Technically, the renegades or ‘pure’ Daleks lost the civil war and were eradicated, but after victory of the Daleks, the imperials were eradicated and the pure Daleks were in charge again.

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:04 am

Please tell me I'm not the only person who went into this thinking it would be asking if there were daleks in the show that were 30% smaller than the normal ones? Because I've read what DHS has said and my brain won't let me be disillusioned of that, the idea of these teeny tiny daleks scooting about in the show is just a wonderful mental image.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:03 am

Deborah J wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only person who went into this thinking it would be asking if there were daleks in the show that were 30% smaller than the normal ones? Because I've read what DHS has said and my brain won't let me be disillusioned of that, the idea of these teeny tiny daleks scooting about in the show is just a wonderful mental image.

100% DJ, they could be the Dalek versions of Cybermatts

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 pm

i might have found you a definitive answer here!!

so i was scrolling through deviant art to find some inspiration for my wall of weird (my sci-fi art collection) and i came across this image
doctor_who___t_w_f__dalek_error_by_doctorwhoone_d9b3den-pre.jpg
doctor_who___t_w_f__dalek_error_by_doctorwhoone_d9b3den-pre.jpg (73.23 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

this seems to be a 60's dalek livery on a new series body!

the page is here:
https://www.deviantart.com/doctorwhoone/art/Doctor-Who-T-W-F-Dalek-error-562828703
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

tardis23

Postby tardis23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

Racks42 wrote:i might have found you a definitive answer here!!

so i was scrolling through deviant art to find some inspiration for my wall of weird (my sci-fi art collection) and i came across this image

the page is here:
https://www.deviantart.com/doctorwhoone/art/Doctor-Who-T-W-F-Dalek-error-562828703

The bronze ones in that picture are the 12” RC ones so my guess would be it’s probably another one of those repainted, in which case it will be near enough exactly what we got in the 3.75” range.

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm

tardis23 wrote:
Racks42 wrote:i might have found you a definitive answer here!!

the page is here:

The bronze ones in that picture are the 12” RC ones so my guess would be it’s probably another one of those repainted, in which case it will be near enough exactly what we got in the 3.75” range.

My thoughts exactly!
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 pm

is that a new series dalek? because the rings and the little oval bit are more like a classic one, the new ones have that trapezium bit that comes up from the bottom. It looks like just a new series base at most.

tardis23

Postby tardis23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Deborah J wrote:is that a new series dalek? because the rings and the little oval bit are more like a classic one, the new ones have that trapezium bit that comes up from the bottom. It looks like just a new series base at most.

My guess would be it’s obscured and in the background for a reason, I don’t know of any 12” classic Daleks parts that would be compatible with a RC new series dalek base. So I’d say it’s either been painted and obscured in the background to looks like classic model (also why we can’t see the eye stalk) or there may have been some editing done to it after filming. But that’s pure speculation of course.

Return to “Doctor Who Toys”