Can we talk Seven20?

skifflebits

Can we talk Seven20?

Postby skifflebits » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Sooooo... Seven20. The only competition in the arena of Doctor Who figures CO has had since... well... ever.

I was hoping they would give CO a run for their money. As part of that old free market idea that competition is good for everyone, I was hoping Seven20 would come out with the kind of "collectors figure" we didn't even know we were hoping for. Something along the lines of Marvel Legends. Maybe multiple heads, maybe a ton of accessories, maybe plastic special effects energy bolts. Just anything to break CO's mold. That's the mold that has been telling us a "collectors figure" is a single plain figure -- with either a bad likeness or hopelessly out of scale -- slapped into a standard-issue box with a single tiny accessory.

Obviously, no such luck.

Seven20's figure is not only just as plain as CO's, it's quality looks... well... not-good. As one forum member said, it looks like a cheap Mexican knock-off of a Doctor Who toy. You could imagine it on a shelf in a 99-cent store labeled "Space Dr. Woo!"

On the other hand CO's first venture into the waters wasn't terribly good, either. (c.f. Disco Rose.) Obviously they learned from experience.

So the question is... Do you think Seven20 can pull it off? Can they pull their act together and produce some genuinely great toys? Or is this lackluster debut spell doom for them?

Discuss!

And for extra credit: Who the f*** is Toot's Toys?? :)
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Deborah J

Re: Can we talk Seven20?

Postby Deborah J » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:01 pm

If they made some really nice stuff, and it was characters the CO range weren't giving us, and in scale, then I'd be really down to try and get some, but for what they've put out so far I'm just glad they're not "instead of" for the old figures. They could improve, I suppose, although I don't think even the bright yellow haired disco rose looked that bad. maybe she did, I have the one that was relaesed with k9 where they fixed the hair and even she's not great. But it's kind of a different flavour of bad, you know?

skifflebits wrote:And for extra credit: Who the f*** is Toot's Toys?? :)

They're perhaps a subsidiary of Toot Sweets, like the sweet company from chitty chitty bang bang?

Valeyard

Postby Valeyard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Seven20's figure of the Thirteenth Doctor looks like it was made by a secondary school pupil for a D.T. project. If it were a custom figure I might be impressed, but seeing as it's officially licensed and also has direct competition in the form of the much better CO version, I've got to say it's a poor start for Seven20, and I've got a gut feeling that future figures, should they make them, won't be any better.

~Valeyard

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:51 pm

A quick note relating to what you say about ‘out of scale’ in batmanmarch’s review of the CO figure, he says she scales well, but she’s around the same height as a few of the figures he shows her with. In reality, I think she’s actually the shortest doctor. I mean, scale has never been great *ahem*6*ahem* but I really don’t get how after what happened with 12, curator, 8 etc. They are still messing up the scale. It’s not as noticeable with female characters like Jodie or Missy, as they seem to end up shorter anyhow, but it’s still annoying.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 am

I'll be interested when mine arrives to see how tall she is next to Amy, because I'm pretty sure irl Amy is about the same height as me, while Jodie is waaay smaller, like she's shorter than my mum, and my mum is tiny. Although I don't know how well to scale Amy is, I'm pretty sure claras figure is about the same size as amy despite that being very not correct. I think the moral is that the scale is a mess.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 am

Deborah J wrote:I'll be interested when mine arrives to see how tall she is next to Amy, because I'm pretty sure irl Amy is about the same height as me, while Jodie is waaay smaller, like she's shorter than my mum, and my mum is tiny. Although I don't know how well to scale Amy is, I'm pretty sure claras figure is about the same size as amy despite that being very not correct. I think the moral is that the scale is a mess.

Yeah I don’t think the Amy figure is as tall as she should be.
Member since July 2013

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:42 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
Deborah J wrote:I'll be interested when mine arrives to see how tall she is next to Amy, because I'm pretty sure irl Amy is about the same height as me, while Jodie is waaay smaller, like she's shorter than my mum, and my mum is tiny. Although I don't know how well to scale Amy is, I'm pretty sure claras figure is about the same size as amy despite that being very not correct. I think the moral is that the scale is a mess.

Yeah I don’t think the Amy figure is as tall as she should be.

I think they wanted to make her figure shorter than Matt Smith's figure, the height they gave the two of them in the top trumps cards made Matt taller, even though they're around the same, or Karen is maybe even a little taller. I feel like it's this whole weird thing they have where men don't want to be smaller than the women around them, it's the same weird idea that has Tom Cruise spend all his films standing on a little stepladder. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Well she'll at least be shorter than the most recent Capaldi figure.

I don't know what to expect from Seven20. I have a feeling that being a "Toots Exclusive" is going to kill their sales and they'll never get the capital to do another figure.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Return to “5" Figures”