EmperorDhs's Dalek Customs

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

EmperorDhs

EmperorDhs's Dalek Customs

Postby EmperorDhs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Okay so since my custom-binge has evidently been heavily Dalek themed lately, I figures I would turn my attention to other Dalek customs that I could do. I'm still sticking on the New Series Dalek design theme so far as it's my personal favourite and I feel like there is a lot of potential within the design that hasn't been achieved by CO.

First I wanted to try and update an Assault Dalek to the newer slim sculpt in a way that looks authentic. Most people who have done this process have simply transferred the Claw Arm from the mark 1 sculpt that was officially released and added it to a Progenitor Dalek but there are a few reasons why this doesn't quite work... (at least for me)

1) The Assault Dalek Claw Arm that CO released isn't the most accurate, especially when it was made for the chunkier sculpt. The arm is far too small and the manipulator arm should be silver all the way up to the Claw casing. This wasn't correct on the official release.

2) The Progenitor Dalek, whilst proportionally correct, isn't the right colour scheme for the Parting of the Ways. The Dalek onscreen was in a darker bronze, the sort that can be seen on the Imperial Guard Daleks and the official release.

In order to get an on-screen authenticity I'm using one of the Imperial Guard Daleks as a base and looking into getting a bronze coloured paint to colour the head in to make it look all bronze. If I can't find a paint that matches the base colour closely enough, I might just buy a bronze spray paint and make one from scratch out of a progenitor or crucible Dalek. Whichever works out best. For now though, I've updated the claw arm!

(Consider this one to be a work in progress for now...)

EmperorDhs

Re: EmperorDhs's Dalek Customs

Postby EmperorDhs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Here's the original figure, compared to mine, compared to the onscreen just for comparison!

(Picture of Original figure isn't my own pic, sorry!)

TheSparrow

Postby TheSparrow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I think that looks awesome. I love the way you've put both of the designs together. You've done a good job.
Dude the daleks are the worst.
Like I'm not scared of them, but their sole blue eye is just creepy, the way it stares into your soul is just really off, man.
My new signature - as made by the wonderful 'Deborah J'

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

On the little version of the pictures my tablet shows I thought for a bit that that last picture was one of your customs, I thought that was amazing, how did you get the dalak and tardis both so realistically finished. Although the actual customs are great, of course, I'm just easily confused.

EmperorDhs

Postby EmperorDhs » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:03 pm

UPDATE TIME!

The Assault Dalek is finished! The claw was modified slightly but otherwise is still the same as previously! I've painted the head so that the whole body now matches (as closely as I could) and I decided to add a mild weathering effect to the casing to differentiate it more and make it more fitting for what I presume an Assault Dalek may look like!

On another 'Parting of the Ways' theme I've decided to also start working on a Buzz Saw Dalek! The reference images have admittedly been scarce as no physical prop of this one was ever made but I feel like I've replicated it to a decent degree! Needs a few more coats of black but I'm proud of how the saw arm has come out!

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 pm

Those are really nice. I made my own 12" version of the buzzsaw Dalek. I posted a picture in my own thread if you're interested. It's a shame CO never released one, as in my opinion it's about the nicest colour scheme on any of the NSDs.
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Return to “Customs”