B&M 2019

skifflebits

Re: B&M 2019

Postby skifflebits » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:29 pm

If this is as successful as the Pertwee box, I can imagine B&M would have another go. I bet a 5th Doctor set would be next on the list.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Bundy

Postby Bundy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 am

RedshirtDan wrote:One store did end up with like 50 of them, there's a picture on twitter but that's no excuse. Disgraceful, and yet hysterically shortsighted in his greed because something like twice as many Tardis' have been made more than last time so somehow I think he's going to have trouble unloading them.

No way to tell if it is the person who took the picture of the 56 TARDIS sets, but someone on eBay has sold 35, with 10 more still available. Looking at the revision history the price has been changed 5 times so it must be getting more difficult to shift these now at anything more than a few pounds plus postage.

Hopefullly B&M release the same quantity in the summer and people don't panic and profiteers look for opportunities elsewhere.

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Visiting Leicester for the weekend and I've tried both B&Ms to no avail - found some 9th Doctor sets though
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

Spannerintheworks

Postby Spannerintheworks » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 pm

So, B & M are missing an easy trick with the new packaging that would make future TARDIS releases that much more desirable.

Stay with me here, here's a big example:

Let's say, two TARDIS releases are done:

1st Doctor (let's say, "Unearthly" figure repaint to look "Twice Upon") & TARDIS.

...and...

2nd Doctor (Ideally, the unreleased "Abominable" coat, but realistically another standard repaint) & TARDIS.

Yes, they'd be great to have. But, now take the packaging backdrop and do...

1st Doctor: One wall standard TARDIS roundels, another the glass/viewscreen wall.
2nd Doctor: One wall standard TARDIS roundels, another the TARDIS doors.

Boom. Now you have a 60s TARDIS control room. If you get both, put them together and have a deluxe sized one. Get a 3d printed console, and you've a full blown console diorama. (I mean, if they just did a console toy they'd be covered, but I'm being realistic with what we're getting. )

Doing a 5th Doctor set? Perfect. Do this:

5th Doctor (Hatted variant with season 21 apps, preferably) with season 19-21 TARDIS. Backdrop of TARDIS roundels & doors on one side, and roundels & 80's viewscreen on the other.

I mean, I dig the UNIT lab, but if they're gonna make such a fuss over the provided backdrops, this is an obvious one considering the buyers....

RedshirtDan

Postby RedshirtDan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm

My local B&M has restocked, with about 12 to 15 extra Tardis' after shifting the initial 6 (Erdington, Birmingham in case anyone local still needs one). Birmingham city center store had a stack of 20 at the tills two weeks ago, down to six by Friday. 9th Doctor sets linger at all the outlying stores in the West Midlands while the main ones briefly had the redone sets but quickly disappeared (lasted a day in the main Birmingham store)

Excellent idea about the backdrops! I'd personally was considering other "playsets", i.e. Forman's Yard for the 1st, Cyber tombs for the 2nd Doctor, Death Zone for the 5th? etc etc but the idea of a Tardis interior is much more interesting... It'd be cheap and naff I know but perhaps a cardboard cutout console or somesuch to set up as well

I still think an advert done with UNIT troopers "Code 9 find the tardis" style would be funny, like they need the publicity haha

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:16 pm

skifflebits wrote:If this is as successful as the Pertwee box, I can imagine B&M would have another go. I bet a 5th Doctor set would be next on the list.

5th Doctor Set... with a Peri from Planet of Fire please. ;)

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Galifreyan wrote:
skifflebits wrote:If this is as successful as the Pertwee box, I can imagine B&M would have another go. I bet a 5th Doctor set would be next on the list.

That wouldn't be a massive jump from the Caves of Androzani one really, just paint the pink top under her shirt to be skin tone, so it's her stomache, aside from the lack of belly button that would be pretty passable.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Galifreyan wrote:

That wouldn't be a massive jump from the Caves of Androzani one really, just paint the pink top under her shirt to be skin tone, so it's her stomache, aside from the lack of belly button that would be pretty passable.

I agree and I think it's a great idea.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am

That guy with the 50 tardises has dropped his price again, I was looking at his page a while back so I guess ebay thought I was interested in buying off him, so they just sent me an email saying it had been dropped in price by £4 to £26. At this rate he's going to have to take a loss to sell them. Mind you, he's already sold like 40 of them, so it's not really much of a defeat, even if he's only made £10 profit on them each that's quite a good return.

joe38658

Postby joe38658 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

A B&M in Angus, Scotland still has tuns of TARDISes. I didnt count but Id say there was atleast 10 there?
If anybody wants the exact store, PM me.

i dont know what to put here

Return to “5" Figures”