Best theme??

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Whovastron

Best theme??

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm

As the tile says, what’s your favourite DW theme?

The 2008 version has had my top spot for a long time, narrowly passing the 1980 theme, but damn if the 2018 theme hasn’t shot past them both immediately.

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

Deborah J

Re: Best theme??

Postby Deborah J » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm

I think the original is always going to be the most impressive as a thing that exists, although I do prefer the later version in the 70s with the added spingle spangles. The 2005 theme is great too, of course it samples the original, as does the current one, which is my favourite of the new series. Out of the ones that don't include elements of the original version I like the Peter Davison one and the paul mcgann one a lot. But that 70s one is my favourite of all, I think, it's very iconic.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 pm

McCoy’s Hands down!

Davisons is second up,

Just like my favourite doctors!
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Racks42 wrote:McCoy’s Hands down!

Davisons is second up,

That's interesting, you're the second person I've seen put McCoy as their favourite, I think it's the worst by far. But that's the lovely thing about favourite anything, it's subjective, so everyone gets a different answer.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Dominic Glynn
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:33 pm

I really like most of them, was never the greatest fan of the 2005 one, although that might be because it's basically just the "default" almost. Never liked the 2010 one either. The current one is brilliant, combined with the title sequence I think it's the only one that's slightly unsettling like the original one.

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Deborah J wrote:

Davisons is second up,

That's interesting, you're the second person I've seen put McCoy as their favourite, I think it's the worst by far. But that's the lovely thing about favourite anything, it's subjective, so everyone gets a different answer.

See its comments like that, that reaffirms the fact that this is the best doctor who forum ive come across!!

back on topic, yeah i can see why you dont like it, its one of a few that are drastically different to the original theme, while most dont like that, thats kinda why i do like it, and why i like capaldi's and davisons too because they are drastically different, but then again i really dont like matts theme
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 pm

I’m gonna be a massive contrarian and say the Seventh Doctor Virgin New Adventures theme.
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Racks42 wrote:
Deborah J wrote:

Davisons is second up,

See its comments like that, that reaffirms the fact that this is the best doctor who forum ive come across!!

back on topic, yeah i can see why you dont like it, its one of a few that are drastically different to the original theme, while most dont like that, thats kinda why i do like it, and why i like capaldi's and davisons too because they are drastically different, but then again i really dont like matts theme

Yeah, I think it's just...is it in a slightly different key to other ones? I donr think its quite that, because it seems to be in a different key for a few of them, it just has a weird discordance to it, a shrillness to the main tune that I find kind of musically ugly. The capaldi theme I'm not keen on for similar reasons, although less so. Davisons I really like, I'm maybe a bit inconsistent. The later Colin one I like a lot too, even though it's not a million miles from McCoys. I think there's no hard and fast rule to what I like and dislike.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”