Questions!

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

tardis23

Questions!

Postby tardis23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:42 pm

I don’t think a thread like this already exists, but I thought it would be a good thing to have a place for those questions about the show that no matter how much you research or try to make sense of it in your head you don’t understand.

For example I’ve been confused for a long while about how the confession dial works on the doctor who wiki it says:
The confession dial was a small, circular disk used as part of a Gallifreyan ritual act of purification. It allowed a dying Time Lord to face their demons and make their peace before their mind was uploaded to the Matrix

Now if that’s the case what was in the doctors confession dial when it was sent to Missy? Was it empty? Or had the Doctor been in their once before but surely he would have known where he was in heaven sent if that’s the case?
Also in Face The Raven I’m sure the Doctor wasn’t put in there because he was dying, does this mean the device had been repurposed to get the time lords the information they wanted?

Racks42

Re: Questions!

Postby Racks42 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 am

Moffat Plot Hole

No but seriously I don’t think the timelords ever meant for the doctor to get out of the confession dial.

In my opinion, the timelords put him in ther to die, and they didn’t anticipate his teleport hack.
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 am

Alright time to use this thread now.

I've been thinking about series 5 - great series, first one I watched live on TV, loved it when it came out and still love it today - but, I've suddenly thought properly about the finale.

To restart the Universe, the Doctor had to wipe himself from history and the only way he could get back was to implant that "Something Borrowed" rhyme in young Amelia's mind so that he could be remembered back into existance. If the Doctor didin't exist, then the events of Series 5 couldn't have happened because Amy wouldn't have gone anywhere the night before the wedding - but hang on, if Series 5 didn't happen, then none of the entire 47 year history (at that point) of the show would have happened and if the Doctor didn't exist, he didn't save the Earth all those times to even allow the wedding to take place, the Earth would be long dead thanks to an invasion in the 1960s or 70s at that point.

Once the Doctor was wished back into existance, I can accept that everything he had done before that moment could have happened again, but before that moment - did Series 5 even exist?
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 am

idontremembermylogin wrote:Alright time to use this thread now.

I've been thinking about series 5 - great series, first one I watched live on TV, loved it when it came out and still love it today - but, I've suddenly thought properly about the finale.

To restart the Universe, the Doctor had to wipe himself from history and the only way he could get back was to implant that "Something Borrowed" rhyme in young Amelia's mind so that he could be remembered back into existance. If the Doctor didin't exist, then the events of Series 5 couldn't have happened because Amy wouldn't have gone anywhere the night before the wedding - but hang on, if Series 5 didn't happen, then none of the entire 47 year history (at that point) of the show would have happened and if the Doctor didn't exist, he didn't save the Earth all those times to even allow the wedding to take place, the Earth would be long dead thanks to an invasion in the 1960s or 70s at that point.

Once the Doctor was wished back into existance, I can accept that everything he had done before that moment could have happened again, but before that moment - did Series 5 even exist?

Isn’t it established that when someone is erased by the crack, their effect on the universe isn’t removed, they’re just forgotten by everyone. Like for example, when Rory was erased, the engagement ring remained in the TARDIS, despite the fact that as far as Amy was aware, he didn’t exist. So everything the Doctor had done up until the point he was erased still happened. he was just forgotten by everyone.
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 am

SarahJaneFan wrote:Isn’t it established that when someone is erased by the crack, their effect on the universe isn’t removed, they’re just forgotten by everyone. Like for example, when Rory was erased, the engagement ring remained in the TARDIS, despite the fact that as far as Amy was aware, he didn’t exist. So everything the Doctor had done up until the point he was erased still happened. he was just forgotten by everyone.

I thought the ring was only preserved because it was in the TARDIS - like how the Doctor was able to remember Rory due to being a time traveler.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 am

idontremembermylogin wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:Isn’t it established that when someone is erased by the crack, their effect on the universe isn’t removed, they’re just forgotten by everyone. Like for example, when Rory was erased, the engagement ring remained in the TARDIS, despite the fact that as far as Amy was aware, he didn’t exist. So everything the Doctor had done up until the point he was erased still happened. he was just forgotten by everyone.

I thought the ring was only preserved because it was in the TARDIS - like how the Doctor was able to remember Rory due to being a time traveler.

The Byzantium remained crashed when the Weeping Angels who crashed it were erased, Amy still existed after her parents were erased, River still existed after Rory was erased.
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 am

SarahJaneFan wrote:The Byzantium remained crashed when the Weeping Angels who crashed it were erased, Amy still existed after her parents were erased, River still existed after Rory was erased.

Yeah OK you got me there

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”