Daleks and Snow.....have they ever been onscreen together?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

DukeNukem 2417

Daleks and Snow.....have they ever been onscreen together?

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 pm

My memory of "The Time of the Doctor" is, regrettably, beginning to fail me...I can't remember if there was in fact snow on the ground when the Daleks tried to take the bell tower.

Whether it was in this special or any other episode of the series, have the Daleks ever shared the screen with snow?
Through the darkness of future past,
The magician longs to see....
One chants out between two worlds:
"Fire...walk with me."

Doctor What

Re: Daleks and Snow.....have they ever been onscreen together?

Postby Doctor What » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Theres that bit where they have that weird Dalek tank with a giant plunger/gun turret. Also when they get swept away by the regeneration. I think a Necros one might go outside in Revelation? Apart from that I can't think of any, unless i'm forgetting something from an early Dalek story.

Spannerintheworks

Postby Spannerintheworks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Definitely in "Time of the Doctor" (final conflict pre-regeneration), and definitely in "Revelation of the Daleks" (One passes by in Peri's view on arrival at Tranquil Repose; One faces Orcini and Bostock later).

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Ok, so I'm fully prepared to be told I'm wrong here, but was there snow in the bits of Revelation of the Daleks that the daleks are in? Because my memory of that story is that it's snow and icy in the place outside where the tardis lands, but once they're inside the wall there is no snow there, and that's where we see the daleks. Maybe I'm just misremembering, it's quite a while since I last saw that one.

Spannerintheworks

Postby Spannerintheworks » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:06 am

I had a look.

With Orcini, the snow is even visible in the same shot.

With Peri's "What was that!?" moment, it's harder to tell in shot. But pretty sure it was there as....

The location filming (last EVER for the classic series, before VT took over) was at an office building and the snow was not planned. It coated the area and affected the next two locations (a farm for the TARDIS arrival and an airfield for Orcini). It definitely affected the first shoot though, because originally Peri and The Doctor were going to part and head to Blackpool outside too. (It makes sense - Why would they stay in a collapsing building? And grabbing the flower/"What's this about us being farmers?" works just as well outside. Better, even.) Snow is totally evident amidst the garden and talking with Jobel. If the first filming block lost a scene due to snow and that involved arriving at Tranquil Repose, then there was definitely snow.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:05 am

Spannerintheworks wrote:I had a look.

With Orcini, the snow is even visible in the same shot.

With Peri's "What was that!?" moment, it's harder to tell in shot. But pretty sure it was there as....

The location filming (last EVER for the classic series, before VT took over) was at an office building and the snow was not planned. It coated the area and affected the next two locations (a farm for the TARDIS arrival and an airfield for Orcini). It definitely affected the first shoot though, because originally Peri and The Doctor were going to part and head to Blackpool outside too. (It makes sense - Why would they stay in a collapsing building? And grabbing the flower/"What's this about us being farmers?" works just as well outside. Better, even.) Snow is totally evident amidst the garden and talking with Jobel. If the first filming block lost a scene due to snow and that involved arriving at Tranquil Repose, then there was definitely snow.

That's really interesting, thanks, I didn't know most of that.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 am

What?

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”