Debbie Does Dalek

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

Deborah J

Debbie Does Dalek

Postby Deborah J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi friends!

So as I mentioned last week, I have this Dalek that a friend gave me about 5 years ago. he's in a very sorry state, I don't think he's ever really been loved, so we're kindred spirits, for sure. My research has told me he started off as a kit, made by a company called comet miniatures (who no longer exist). The previous owner had a go at putting this chap together, bless him, but he really didn't make a great job of him, and between then and me getting him his claw has come off, his neck rings have misaligned and broken (that's assuming they were on right to begin with, I have no way of knowing). His gun was also put together very badly, the spokes are meant to line up, and they clearly never have, and some are broken an possibly missing, I haven't counted them. His skirt is broken into two big bits - one attached to the top one to the bottom - and three loose little bits. He's also missing his lights (he's meant to be a movie style dalek from the first film, as his claw and base show, so big lights would be correct) and the paint colour scheme is just nonsense. There is a black dalek in the movie, but he has silver and gold balls, and a gold base and bands and silver and gold neck rings. Doctor Who and the Daleks was my first encounter with Doctor Who, long before I knew there even was a tv series I loved that movie, it was colourful and exciting, and it's still the first thing I think of when I think of daleks. So having the potential of a really nice model of a dalek from that movie is really appealing to me. Because of that I intend to fully fix this guy up. I'm going to dismantle him into his constituant parts as best I can, I at least need to separate the skirt panels to put them together better alligned, and the neck and gun need redone from the top. And of course I'll stick his claw on again. Then I'm going to paint him up in a brand new colour scheme, the silver and blue of the standard daleks in that movie, which I think is a beautiful colour. It's going to be slow going, because I rarely get time to myself at the moment, but I really want to commit myself to doing this. I've had a lot of advice and hints from people on the forum so far, which has been so helpful. My current idea is to spray the main model, spray the head and bumps blue seperately before sticking them on, then do the gold bands and other little details by brush, and just buy a very small amount of paint for those. But I am working in the dark a little, any hints or tips along the way would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pictures of my little buddy.

Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

So you can see he's in a bit of a mess, I like to think I surely can't make him look any worse, right? And just for fun, here he is next to his little brother, someday they'll be the same colour, roughly.

Last edited by Deborah J on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Dalek

Re: Deborah attempts to do a thing with a Dalek

Postby Imperial Dalek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:13 pm

This looks like a great project, good luck with it!

To start with, one specific thing I'd suggest is that it might be worth getting some extra plastic and putting it inside the skirt (bottom half) to generally brace it and give it a bit more strength/rigidity. Plus if the bits of plastic are cut to the right shape, they might help the skirt keep its shape a bit more.

For that I'd probably recommend getting something called "plasticard", which is basically just styrene plastic that comes in sheets of many different sizes and thicknesses. I can't really recommend any specific brands as there's a bewildering variety of the stuff out there haha - just google it and have a look around to see what might suit you best.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Imperial Dalek wrote:This looks like a great project, good luck with it!

To start with, one specific thing I'd suggest is that it might be worth getting some extra plastic and putting it inside the skirt (bottom half) to generally brace it and give it a bit more strength/rigidity. Plus if the bits of plastic are cut to the right shape, they might help the skirt keep its shape a bit more.

For that I'd probably recommend getting something called "plasticard", which is basically just styrene plastic that comes in sheets of many different sizes and thicknesses. I can't really recommend any specific brands as there's a bewildering variety of the stuff out there haha - just google it and have a look around to see what might suit you best.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into that, I was thinking that the skirt would probably benefit from re-enforcing, it's definitely the weakest part structurally, but didn't really have any solid ideas on how to do that, so that is really helpful.

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Magnificent! I love your posts and this is probably your best yet. So, from those pics, you would really struggles to make that model look any worse than it already did! Literally anything you do to it will be an improvement. So good luck. Take it slowly, enjoy getting to know the Dalek and keep smiling!

Just an aside, and my apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you noticed that the fender of the blue and silver Daleks is a different blue to the hemispheres and dome. The latter are a darker, more metallic colour.

The plasticard idea is a really good one. You can get it cheap on Amazon and it is very easy to work with. I've used it to make the shoulder rings on my own movie Daleks.

Please do keep us up to date with pictures of your progress!
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 pm

fincon16 wrote:Magnificent! I love your posts and this is probably your best yet. So, from those pics, you would really struggles to make that model look any worse than it already did! Literally anything you do to it will be an improvement. So good luck. Take it slowly, enjoy getting to know the Dalek and keep smiling!

Just an aside, and my apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you noticed that the fender of the blue and silver Daleks is a different blue to the hemispheres and dome. The latter are a darker, more metallic colour.

The plasticard idea is a really good one. You can get it cheap on Amazon and it is very easy to work with. I've used it to make the shoulder rings on my own movie Daleks.

Please do keep us up to date with pictures of your progress!

I hadn't noticed the two different shades of blue until I looked at your models, oddly, then I was like "is that right?" and looked up some pictures, and of course it was. that's going to be a bit of a headache when it comes to painting, if I didn't know that I'd just get one blue for all blue parts, but now I'll either have to buy two blues or know deep down that I've done it slightly wrong.

I might put some update pictures some time soon, because I've gotten quite busy the past few days, dismantling my dalek. I've found out that the thin up and down bits on the neck, the ones under the rings, not sure what they're called, there should be 8 and there's only 6, and some of them are way too short, so I'm going to find some wire of a suitable thickness and make my own. I did some mockup ones with copper wire that I have and it worked fine but the wire was a bit too narrow. might need to use wire to replace the thin sticks around the gun too, I suspect at least some of thos'll need replaced, even though I do at least seem to have the right number. Also taken the skirt apart into its 11 panels and taken off all the bumps, every last one had a nasty pointy bit of sprue sticking out of it, so I smoothed all of those down, and I'm just generally trying to smooth any rough edges or misaligned bits, so he looks as nice as possible. I also found that there is a little pice that goes on top of the skirt before the shoulder part is stuck on, just a little lid to hold the skirt together from above, it was stuck to the bottom of the shoulders, so I didn't notice it until I had the skirt off, it was quite badly lined off so I've taken it off, probably make assembling it all easier if I have that piece on its own. Tonight I've been getting myself very worked up trying to glue that broken neck ring back together, I can't find any superglue, which would be my first choice for doing that particular job, and I think the glue I'm trying to use, despite supposedly working on plastic, takes longer to set than I have the patience to sit holding things in place. I think I might have it now, but I'll go see in a bit. It's all fun, though, if a bit frustrating when it doesn't work out the way I want.

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:39 am

Poor Dalek. Obviously the conquests haven't gone well for him. But can he be restored to his former glory? Find out on Deborah's Dalek make-over!

*Home renovation show style theme plays*

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Deborah J wrote:... I can't find any superglue, which would be my first choice for doing that particular job, and I think the glue I'm trying to use, despite supposedly working on plastic, takes longer to set than I have the patience to sit holding things in place.

Haha, you are so like me! Buy superglue. It's worth the small investment!
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Ok, friends, update time!

So as I mentioned earlier, I've taken my dalek to pieces, as much as I thought was reasonable, anyway. I'm reluctant to break the shoulder and neck portion into its constituant parts because it's not too bad and I might do a worse job putting it back together. I have already hit upon a few issues. the way that the front two panels on the skirt were glued in - overlapping and squint like teeth in need of a good orthodontist, with enough glue to stick a medium sized child to the wall - made it impossible to get them both off without breaking. It's not a terrible break, just a tiny chip off the front end corner of the right side one (daleks left) and I'm confident I'll be able to patch that with some sort of filler so no-one would ever know. I can use polyfiller on holes in the wall, so I feel like that's going to be the same idea on a smaller scale. And I've taken off all his bumps and sanded the sprue off all of them (big issue with this gue, jaggy sprue on every bump) and I've sanded the panels down a little, might sand a bit more, just want the surface as smooth as I can, the paintwork is very lumpy and uneven. Another big issue I've had is with the gun. That thing was assembled dreadfully. All the little spokes were just glued in any old how, none of them lined up, some were broken, some were glued to he asterisk part, some to the barrel, some to the inside of the asterisk. I couldn't get them all off without again breaking a little bit, one of the spokes of the asterisk closest to the Dalek came off with the spoke. but it's a tiny part, and it's still attached, and the spoke is in good shape, so I'm hoping to just stick that back on. Although I have all 8 spokes, 3 of them are broken, and most are in quite poor shape, so I'm thinking of replacing those. I feel like plastic would be easier to glue on in this situation, so if anyone knows a suitable thickness plastic rod that can be cut to size let me know for sure. If such a material exists I'll probably use that for the neck rods too. I've taken the middle neck ring which was broken, removed the broken piece because it turned out to be broken in two places, but glued (badly) in one, and I stuck it back together. Then I slightly sanded down the inside of all three rings to try and get them to fit better, because they all were just a tiny bit too tight to fit rownd on the correct places. Now when I put them on they go roughly where they should be, although they tend to drift a little, I'll need to be very careful when I glue them back on. My plan for them is to sparay them seperate to the main body, I'll assemble the dalek's skirt, but leave his bumps and rings off and mask his neck and base and attachments, and I'll spray the rings seperately then put them on, I feel like that's going to give a tidier end result. Also I've taken the horrible paintwork off his eye, that blobby blue bit was just awful, so I was quite happy to remove that. If My eye paint apps are that bad I will eat humble pie. of course. Here are some pictures of the assorted parts, the bumps are in that little blue pot except for the picture where they're not.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

A final issue I'd like to bring up that's worrying me a little for when I stick him back together: putting his head back on. THe setup they have is an outer ring which sticks to the neck, and an inner ring which connects to the top of his head with a rod. THe problem is, how do I push down the outer ring when glueing it on? Like if I push down on his head I'm pushing on the inner disk, the outer ring could come loose and it wouldn't be stuck down, and that is bamboozling me. Like it must be doable, it was stuck on pretty effectively before I took it off. Anyone got any ideas? Here's some pictures to show what I mean. The outer ring connects to the head, leaving the inner bit free to turn, so his head can turn.

ImageImage

EDIT: I managed to track down an image of the page of the instruction book about how to put his head on, turns out the pin had to be glued onto the head, so I'm going to try and carefully undo that connecton, that way I can stick the machanism to the neck, then the head to that, mystery solved!
Last edited by Deborah J on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm

fincon16 wrote:
Deborah J wrote:... I can't find any superglue, which would be my first choice for doing that particular job, and I think the glue I'm trying to use, despite supposedly working on plastic, takes longer to set than I have the patience to sit holding things in place.

Haha, you are so like me! Buy superglue. It's worth the small investment!

If I can't find any I probably will. Although the ring seems to be holding up for now, I will need some superglue for fixing his gun.

Vortexsurfer

Postby Vortexsurfer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I have this same model buried somewhere. The skirt I remember was a nightmare to put together. For the gun I would recommend not using the supplied rods but go to any model shop and buy some new plasticard rods of the same width (or slightly thicker). They will hold up much better. I gave up getting the head to turn but just stuck it in place. I will always use liquid poly glue on something like this. It might take a little longer to set but produces much better and longer lasting results than superglue with the bonus that you can't stick your fingers together with it!

If you want to get the old paint off (provided it's an acrylic paint like what Games Workshop use), I would recommend using Dettol. I know it sounds weird but if you put the plastic parts in Brown Dettol Disinfectant (has to be the brown one) in a sealed container (like an plastic ice cream tub) for a week, it will make the paint dissolve off. Then put some latex gloves on and scrub any leftover bits of paint with a toothbrush. Don't use water, just dip the brush back in the Dettol if you need to. You may also find some of the bits that are glued together come apart at the same time but they are easy enough to glue back together. One you've got it as best you can, then wash the plastic parts in warm soapy water to get the Dettol off (otherwise the new coat of paint won't stick) and give it one last scrub with a different toothbrush to get the last bits off. I've used this technique on so many wargaming models. As long as it isn't an enamel paint, I've never known it not work.

Return to “Customs”