Big Finish Time War Stories?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

skifflebits

Big Finish Time War Stories?

Postby skifflebits » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello Folks,

I'm thinking about finally diving in on Big Finish's Time War stories, so I'm looking for some advice on what stories to listen to, and in what order.

At this point, it seems like there's a lot of them. You've got the War Doctor series, the War Master series, and now an 8th Doctor Time War series?

Any tips on where to start and where to go next?
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Doctor909

Re: Big Finish Time War Stories?

Postby Doctor909 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 pm

War Master series is by far the strongest so would 1000% recommend as a starting point. It’s dark and immensely gripping. Derek Jacobi is beyond amazing and really is an angle of the Time War I never knew that I needed. If you’re worried about the whole Utopia thing, you’ll forget about it pretty quickly as it’s just so good

The War Doctor stuff is very good, not quite on par with the War Master but still a very very good listen and John Hurt is just excellent -such a shame we won’t get more!

Gallifrey Time War is good, Ive only listened to the 1st Volume so far (haven’t got round to buying Volume 2 yet) and it was a pretty strong set, very much a classic meet new-who so very much a different angle in comparison to the other ranges. Also I’ve only heard positive things about Volume 2 so it does seem to be a strong range

Personally, I’ve found the 8th Doctor Time War stuff quite average -it doesn’t feel like it’s had its moment yet (in comparison to Ravenous/Doom Coalition I’d say its not Big Finish’s best work for 8) but nonetheless its not awful and is an alright listen but I just haven’t found it as gripping

In all, each range offers a different perception of the Time War so I guess it’s up to you which angle you want to hear it from. I’d probably recommend them in the order I’ve described them above. Hope this helps -I know it’s vague but I didn’t want to give spoilers
Currently writing for "Project Whovian" and the all new unofficial SJA Spin-off "Subwave". If you're looking for a writer, please DM as I'm happy to help!

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 pm

War Master is brilliant. Well I say that, i've only heard volume 1, I bought volume 2 but haven't listened yet, i've only seen good things about it though.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm

So in terms of which order to listen to the stories in, you don’t necessarily need to listen in any particular order (except with certain series like Gallifrey and the Eighth Doctor but they’re numbered anyway).

Release order is fine but if you’d prefer chronological order then it goes something like this:

The War Master: The Master of Callous
Gallifrey: Time War Volume 1 (Episodes 1-2)
Master of Worlds
Concealed Weapon
The War Master: Only the Good (Episode 1)
Gallifrey: Time War Volume 1 (Episode 3)
The War Master: Only the Good (Episodes 2-4)
Gallifrey: Time War Volume 1 (Episode 4)
Gallifrey: Time War Volume 2
The Sontaran Ordeal
Day of the Vashta Nerada
A Heart on Both Sides
All Hands on Deck
The Eighth Doctor: Time War Volume 1
The Eighth Doctor: Time War Volume 2
The War Doctor: Only the Monstrous
The War Doctor: Infernal Devices
The War Doctor: Agents of Chaos
The War Doctor: Casualties of War

I’ve not heard the War Master sets but I’ve heard they’re pretty mediocre and don’t do much with the War Doctor. Apparently each set focuses on a different aspect of the War so I imagine the series is at least worth a look in, but maybe not straight away.

Gallifrey Time War 1 is brilliant and I can’t recommend it enough, though it’s mostly just Time Lord politics so if that’s not your copy of tea then maybe it’s not for you. Haven’t heard Volume 2 yet as I’m making my way through Series 5 of Gallifrey at the minute.

The War Master is another one I’ve not heard much of, I’ve only heard the first half of Volume 2. However Volume 1 is very heavily praised and I would suggest listening to said praise because literally everyone went nuts about it. It also ties in quite a bit to Gallifrey Time War 1. Volume 2 doesn’t really involve the Time War and is set before it officially begins, but it’s a great story nonetheless.

The Eighth Doctor Time War 1 is pretty mediocre to be honest, but I absolutely adored Volume 2 and it’s one of my favourite Boxsets. That said it’s not exactly Time War heavy as the Doctor is mostly trying to avoid it. I’d say this series is worth a try though.

In conclusion get Gallifrey Time War 1 and Only the Good.
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the info, folks! It's much appreciated. I've been very hot and cold on Big Finish as a whole -- some moments of absolute brilliance and some moments of disappointing garbage -- so this gives me a good overview. I think I may start with the War Master, though I am super curious to hear John Hurt.

By the way, I'm sure you've all seen this: Paul McGan vs. four Masters.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-mcganns-la ... 1833640143

I guess they did something similar with River Song.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:37 pm

skifflebits wrote:Thanks for all the info, folks! It's much appreciated. I've been very hot and cold on Big Finish as a whole -- some moments of absolute brilliance and some moments of disappointing garbage -- so this gives me a good overview. I think I may start with the War Master, though I am super curious to hear John Hurt.

By the way, I'm sure you've all seen this: Paul McGan vs. four Masters.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-mcganns-la ... 1833640143

I guess they did something similar with River Song.

With River, it was her meeting each of the four Masters on separate occasions, though this time around it appears to be an actual multi Master story. Although Geoffrey Beevers only appears in Planet Of Dust and it seems Day of the Master is just with Roberts, Jacobi and Gomez.

I think early Big Finish is probably far better than what it is today, probably because back then they really pushed the boat out, the tv Show wasn’t on air so they didn’t really have restrictions in terms of what they could do and the Audio format wasn’t something that had really been done much before for Doctor Who.

But now they’ve got to keep in line with the show and have 20 years worth of stories with most of these characters plus the fact that they’ve got releases coming out of every orifice, it just seems like really great stories aren’t as common anymore.

But then, it’s not like the actual tv show is faring much better.
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”