3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

DalekCheese

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by DalekCheese »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am
Here are two Eratos (or half-Eratos) The one on the right is the original, which is absolutely massive, and too big to fit on most toy shelves.
massive Eratos

More seriously, they look ace. Well done.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I don't have a printer, but I'm sure I'd just do the front half for display purposes.

As my grandma used to say, half an Erato is better than none.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

New figure out today:

036 - Aggedor
Beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbCTEx ... fk0hbESOek
I've got the prototype printing now and should have the results off the machine in about another 8 hours, but so far, it looks gorgeous. (Though I won't be able to tell until it's fully assembled and stood up next to one of my Pertwee figures whether I need to slightly tweak the scale any.) The finished figure comes with 12 points of articulation, including a movable jaw.
While Aggedor is primarily designed for resin printing, there's no reason why he shouldn't print on PLA. It'll just look a little rough on the underside of pieces where there are overhangs.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

He's called Aggedor because he's Aggedorablr

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

WHO'S THE REAL MONSTER??

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm
WHO'S THE REAL MONSTER??
Aaargh real monsters?

3DPrintingDoctorWho

And here he is, hot off the printer!
I'm quite chuffed with how well this one has turned out.

I might need to shrink the design ever so slightly on future printings (about 3-5%) since in Monster of Peladon, Pertwee's eyeline is about level with the top of Aggedor's snout, but otherwise, all the bits and pieces fit together beautifully, and the surface detail is great. Easily on par with a proper Character Options release.
I can hardly wait to get this one fully painted and assembled to see what he looks like standing on the shelf next to my other figures.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wow! Aggedor is Aggedawesome! Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Hey, I have a quick question about one of the models. Even though I know it's not yours, you may have an answer on it.

A friend of mine is printing up a Nightmare in Silver Cyberman. Here - http://3dprintingdoctorwho.com/guest-te ... l#5inch022

He says it looks like the joints were designed to be held together with some kind of pin, but he wasn't sure what. Do you happen to have any insight on that?

Big thanks!

3DPrintingDoctorWho

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:24 pm
Wow! Aggedor is Aggedawesome! Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Hey, I have a quick question about one of the models. Even though I know it's not yours, you may have an answer on it.

A friend of mine is printing up a Nightmare in Silver Cyberman. Here - http://3dprintingdoctorwho.com/guest-te ... l#5inch022

He says it looks like the joints were designed to be held together with some kind of pin, but he wasn't sure what. Do you happen to have any insight on that?

Big thanks!

This was one of James Lee's first designs, and it uses toothpicks for the leg joints (you can just about see them in the example photo above).

Now, he did place his joint holes all the way through both sides of the leg which makes it a little bit harder to seal the central fulcrum piece in place and stop it from falling out later. My recommendation would be to hit the local Daiso (if you have them in your area) and pick up a $1.50 tube of UV craft resin (or a couple dozen, since it's incredibly useful stuff) and a cheap UV flashlight you can use this to seal both ends in place without creating too much of a bump on either side.
You can also buy UV craft resin online through Amazon, and a lot of craft stores stock it, though it'll comes in bigger bottles which is much harder to control. These little tubes from Daiso are an absolutely perfect size for getting just a drop or so at a time exactly where you want it, and I'm a little surprised that nobody else seems to sell the stuff in this more convenient style of packaging. (It'd be even better if it came with a crazy glue style tip for when you want to get it into tight confined spaces.)

You can also use this stuff to (carefully) smooth out layer lines or other cracks or crevices on PLA prints. You can paint a very thin layer on with a brush, then use the UV light to cure it in place, creating a nice smooth surface. Keeping in mind that you want to keep this stuff away from any detail lines you plan on keeping after painting, since it'll fill those in equally well. But the good thing about using UV craft resin as a smoothing agent as opposed to XTC-3D or other similar products is that it's easily removable right up until the point you expose it to UV, so if you do accidentally get some in around one of the eye holes or some other place you don't want filled in, you don't have to panic, it's quite easy to just dab away with a bit of paper towel or q-tip and then cure it whenever you're ready.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Thanks for the tip! Do you think pieces of wire would work, too? Or would they be way too thin?

I'll have to go looking for the UV resin. Honestly XTC-3D is one of the worst substances I've ever dealt with.