Mark's Custom Daleks

Fincon1

Re: Mark's Custom Daleks

Post by Fincon1 »

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43 am
These are all amazingly good, I love them. The Destiny NSD in particular looks gorgeous, and the three movie Daleks, just wow!
Thanks very much!

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Fincon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:13 pm
omega1963 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:55 pm
Excellent work, how do you manage to get the hemis off? When I take them off and put them back on quite often the little legs break off so I end up glueing them back on.
A combination of luck and brute force. Sometimes the hemis aren't glued in that well so they just pop out. More often, I break a lot of them and like you, have to resort to glue when I come to replace them.
I do wish they were easier to get out. Do you spray paint yours? I used to but now I have an airbrush I do them that way. Yours all look so clean.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I know no-one asked me, but the bumps on the dalek I'm working on just now all have little pegs on the back that pop into holes in the skirt panels, so they were very easy to get off. I guess the CO models aren't built like that.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Deborah J wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 am
I know no-one asked me, but the bumps on the dalek I'm working on just now all have little pegs on the back that pop into holes in the skirt panels, so they were very easy to get off. I guess the CO models aren't built like that.
The CO and product enterprise daleks have 2 little legs on the back that clip into a slot on the skirt, it’s getting these legs off and back in safely that is very difficult due to the amount of glue on them and how brittle they are.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

omega1963 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:00 am
I do wish they were easier to get out. Do you spray paint yours? I used to but now I have an airbrush I do them that way. Yours all look so clean.
Yes. I don't have an airbrush so I just buy spray cans. For fine detail work I use small pots and a brush.
omega1963 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:29 am
The CO and product enterprise daleks have 2 little legs on the back that clip into a slot on the skirt, it’s getting these legs off and back in safely that is very difficult due to the amount of glue on them and how brittle they are.
Yes. Sometimes you do get lucky and there's minimal glue, but that doesn't happen often. The easiest to do was the new paradigm which I painted orange. The hemis are held in place with little screws. Very classy. Alas, they also tend to be quite expensive so not really good for customising. I don't like spending more than about £20 on something I'm going to hack about. Also I prefer using broken ones so I am not ruining a fully functional Dalek!

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

The lockdown Dalek project part 4. Okay, so you know how I said I'd run out of NSDs? Well, turns out that in my box of spares I actually had enough to build a complete Dalek, if I was willing to glue a bunch of parts back together. Here's the result, painted in possibly my favourite of the classic schemes, Death to the Daleks. I even got some Action Man accessories to make the machine gun.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

I love him!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Fincon1 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:20 pm
The lockdown Dalek project part 4. Okay, so you know how I said I'd run out of NSDs? Well, turns out that in my box of spares I actually had enough to build a complete Dalek, if I was willing to glue a bunch of parts back together. Here's the result, painted in possibly my favourite of the classic schemes, Death to the Daleks. I even got some Action Man accessories to make the machine gun.

oooooh wowowowow shiniboi. That's really nice, I love how reflective the silver looks there.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Deborah J wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 pm
oooooh wowowowow shiniboi. That's really nice, I love how reflective the silver looks there.
Yes, I used a chrome silver. I don't think it was that shiny in the classic episode, but I had a can of that colour spare and I thought it'd fit well with the newer shape.

Next up will be something completely different if I can get hold of the right bits on eBay.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

That is a thing of beauty and the gun is brilliant. Can’t wait to see what your next project is, I have 2-3 on the go at the moment with something special planned for when these are done and then a very special 18” project.