3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

Another figure reveal video, this time for my recently updated Hand of Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJ2iSQwEm0

I'll probably do the Ogri next, but will give it another week or two, while I get back to actually working on new stuff again.
Last edited by 3DPrintingDoctorWho on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am

I'll probably do the Ogri next, but will give it another week or two, while I get back to actually working on new stuff again.
Hmm... It says page not found.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:24 pm
3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am

Hmm... It says page not found.
It tries to open it in this forum rather than in YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJ2iSQwEm0

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Fixed it. It had the correct text but the URL was empty.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

The Hand of Omega is still one of my favorite models, in no small part because it's the sort of unique "prop" that CO would probably never release.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Finally got the latest YouTube video uploaded comparing my figures side-by-side with the Character Options versions:

Unfortunately, I'm having some pretty major hardware issues at the moment which are interfering with my ability to do any sculpting at the moment, so it may be a while before I can get back to the Noah figure.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Been a while since I posted, mainly because I didn't have any news worth sharing... but I've finished up the majority of the work on Wirrn-Infected Noah, and have the initial prototype figure test printing on the large scale resin printer right now. I should know by tomorrow whether the figure's ready for immediate release or if it still requires additional tweaking and fine-tuning. One of the reasons why this one took so long is because it uses a completely new hip, neck, and shoulder design so that the figure can (theoretically) switch from standing posture to a twisted hunchback pose, and you can swap out heads and the right arm whenever you want to go from regular Uninfected Noah, to Infected Bubble-Wrap Hand Noah, to Half-Mutated Tiny Stump Arm Noah.

The other reason is because I couldn't find any pre-made STL files with that odd mid-70's trouser cut that's everybody's rocking in this story where it's pleated in the front and slightly flared at the bottom. The closest thing I could find was actually a statue of Lenin which at least had a similar pointy front pleat, but it was kind of stylized and much bigger at the top, so I ended up having to bodge together about 3 different designs and do a lot of resculpting by hand to try to blend them together in a way that doesn't look too weird or out of proportion with his body.

I still need to finish up his blaster accessory and the regular non-infected head, but from a prototyping standpoint, if it works with the mutated head, it'll work with the regular head, since the neck plugs are identical. If my prototype works perfectly on the first try, I'll post the files this weekend and then add the gun and second head as soon as they're finished.

And for any eagle-eyed folks checking out the background of my build plate... Why yes, that is an Adric head you see hanging out in the back row. Just a little teaser for the future.... 8-)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I'm a little behind, but I just watched your hand of omega video, that thing looks so nice, I was looking at the digital version and thinking "that texture's going to come out a mess" but it looks so good, it turned out great, an you pain ted it so nice, and the lights work super well, that is a really nice thing you've made, well done!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Whoah. The lattice work needed to keep all the pieces supported for rendering is astounding.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm
Whoah. The lattice work needed to keep all the pieces supported for rendering is astounding.
That's what it looks like in the slicer for printing. It basically prints upside down in a vat of liquid, so yeah.... you've got to support every single part that would be hanging out in mid-air, as well as the entire weight of the model so it doesn't get ripped off the build plate from the suction force every time it gets lifted out of the resin.

Noah turned out fantastic, but I obviously need to reprint about 5% larger (except the head, which is just about perfect). I've gotten to the point where I can almost one-and-done most figures from an articulation standpoint, but fine tuning the height is another matter, especially as resin has a somewhat unpredictable 3-5% shrink rate.

On the plus side, going up in scale even 5% will help improve the model detail and loosen up the articulation a bit, since a few of the pieces are a bit tight. I'll resize and reprint, and post the files this weekend.