3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

skifflebits

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by skifflebits »

Wow, it's looking great! It's cool to watch the evolution of your designing prowess. :)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

I still intend to release the Noah figure this weekend, but it's been a while since I put anything up on YouTube, so here's the latest figure reveal video for the recently updated Ogri figure. Stay tuned to the very end for a sneak preview of the new upcoming Remix figure due out in the beginning of 2021. (While I've got the basic body sculpt sorted, articulation is going to be really tricky for this one.)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

I also realized the audio mix was horrible on the last three figure reveal videos I posted (they sounded fine in Adobe Premiere, but were barely audible on YouTube), so I spent this morning re-uploaded them as well.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

I'm pleased to announce that Figure #37 is finally out....

037 - Wirrn-Infected Noah
Beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CiO1QA ... Amf-GeaV_j
Wirrn-Infected Noah comes with three swappable right arms and two swappable heads so that you can change him between regular Noah, Bubblewrap Hand Noah, and Fully-Infected Noah. He also comes with a blaster accessory. This figure is designed for SLA resin printing so some of the smaller thinner elements like the gun and belt may not print properly in PLA.

The photo above shows him as being a little short. I've increased the size of all the parts (except the head) by an extra 5%, which should put him in proper CO scale. I have also updated the https://3DPrintingDoctorWho.com website with paint and assembly instructions.

Note that this release **does not** currently include the **Uninfected Noah Head**. I'm still working on that piece, though I did finish up his gun accessory, which you can see below (and I had to redo his right hand so that he could actually grip the gun.) The gun has so much fine surface detail and is so small, I don't even know if it'll print properly in resin. It's probably too small for filament, but every time I say that, somebody manages to print it anyways.

I'll be adding the second head to the existing Google Drive link as soon as it's available.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Another 3D printable figure reveal video. Probably the last of the rereleased-for-resin figures for a while until after I get around to officially showing off the brand new Wirrn-Infected Noah figure. As always, all STL files needed to print this figure yourself are available completely free on 3DPrintingDoctorWho.com.

Drewski1981

Post by Drewski1981 »

Question about these files:

Is there a file available for the 8th Doctor TARDIS? Or is this unavailable because it's too close to the CO releases?

Also, I don't suppose anyone had a file for a Dalek Battle Computer from Remembrance?
Sad is happy for deep people.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Drewski1981 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Is there a file available for the 8th Doctor TARDIS? Or is this unavailable because it's too close to the CO releases?
I'm assuming you're talking about the exterior rather than the interior console room. In either case...
Exterior police box is available here: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/gue ... l#5inch005
Interior console room set is available here: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/templates.html#025
Also, I don't suppose anyone had a file for a Dalek Battle Computer from Remembrance?
Not yet, at least not publicly, but I will probably do one eventually if nobody beats me to it. The main reason I haven't is because it's not much fun without the girl, but I do have a head that looks fairly close to the actress, and there's a possibility that I might be able to scan an Eleven Stranger Things figure, which has a very similar outfit if you cut off the jacket (that's what most people use for customs)

That said, I've got a ton of other stuff on my plate at the moment, so I wouldn't hold my breath too hard for it to come out at any point in 2022.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Speaking of other project's... I'm a lot closer to turning the 11th/12th Doctor console room set into something printable. For those who don't recall, I was given a rather nice CGI model and asked if I could turn it into something printable, but as with a lot of models designed to work in a virtual space rather than the real world, the original was riddled with all sorts of corrupted geometry and zero thickness surfaces so that when I tried to import it into TinkerCAD it looks like this:

But through trial and error, and a bit of dumb luck, I discovered that I could minimize the corrupted geometry if I increased the dimensions way beyond what would ever be possible to print on a regular sized printer (we're talking almost 1:1 scale) which forced the vertices further apart and made it easier to go in and repair the corrupted stuff before I collapsed it back down again to a more manageable size. It's now looking more like this:

Which still isn't perfect, but a way better starting point than what I was working with before.

The play set, which I'm hoping will be ready for test printing in February or March after I've finished up a couple of other designs, should look more or less like this when it's finished:
Except the tan and dark grey colored rails will be reworked to curve around slightly on the stubby ends where the walkways begin.
Also, while you can't really see it in this shot, the side consoles were unsalvageable except as the roughest of reference guides, plus the feet and proportions weren't screen accurate, so I'm having to redesign them from (mostly) scratch. I'll be giving the entire thing an overhaul to try to make it as screen accurate and interactive as possible, though because of the way the control panel is set up, it's unlikely there will be enough room to incorporate any LEDs or motors into this design. So movement will be confined to switches, levers, the two rotating monitors, and the upper spinning section.

Now, this is going to be a truly massive print job, even bigger than the 8th Doctor Console Room Set (I think it came out be 20" across and 17" high if I remember correctly) and not everybody's going to want to print the entire thing, so I'm going to try to make it as modular as possible, so that you can print just the main console or just the console and side consoles, with or without the upper spinny sections, and the entire base plate can be traced and cut out with a hacksaw (or professionally laser cut) from a single piece of MDF if you want, and all the elements will just slot in place with pegs. I've seen several people do this for the floor of my 8th Doctor set, and it's way more cost effective in the long run, especially if you're having to pay someone to fabricate the pieces for you.

But before all that, I still need to finish up Noah's second head and the next remix figure, which is going to be The Cailleach.
The challenge here is that that feather cloak can't be printed out of anything solid, not if you want the figure to be able to bend it's arms at all, so I'm having to get creative and make a bunch of nested pieces that can retract and expand outwards like a fan and flex independently from each other.
These pieces will either have to be printed out of a flexible resin or TPU, or if you don't have that capability, I'm going to make some inverse molds that you can pour flexible silicon into (you can buy cheap nontoxic silicon mold-making kits for $15-$20) or use to make the feather imprints on milliput or some other similar semi-flexible material.

I'm hoping I'll be able to have this one test printing sometime in the next month, but as this is an entirely new production technique, I won't know how well it works in practice until I've tried it. Though if it does work, it opens up some opportunities for other future figures with thin flexible parts or costume pieces like Tetraps, Marshmen, Nimon, Ice Lords, etc.

Drewski1981

Post by Drewski1981 »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:16 am
Drewski1981 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:08 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about the exterior rather than the interior console room. In either case...
Exterior police box is available here: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/gue ... l#5inch005
Interior console room set is available here: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/templates.html#025
Not yet, at least not publicly, but I will probably do one eventually if nobody beats me to it. The main reason I haven't is because it's not much fun without the girl, but I do have a head that looks fairly close to the actress, and there's a possibility that I might be able to scan an Eleven Stranger Things figure, which has a very similar outfit if you cut off the jacket (that's what most people use for customs)

That said, I've got a ton of other stuff on my plate at the moment, so I wouldn't hold my breath too hard for it to come out at any point in 2022.
Awesome, thank you! I actually managed to find the TARDIS exterior shortly after I posted. I just forgot about the post! Oopsie.

If you have a version of the battle computer chair sans-girl for now, is there any chance you could DM the file or something? I'm actually not that worried about the girl myself. Although if you can't, that's no bother!

I would also be in the market for a 7th Doctor Dapol style console room. Y'know, if the mood takes you, at some point in the future... *hint, hint*
Sad is happy for deep people.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wow! Super impressed by the Capaldi console. Such a huge job, but it's turning out fab!