3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:51 pm
Interesting. I don't have a lot of space at the moment, but even with the filter it sounds like running it in the house wouldn't be a terribly good idea.

If I can set up a viable print space in the garage, I may opt for that.

Do keep an eye on temperature and stray sunlight. Resin prefers temperatures between 68ºF and 77ºF. Summer heat or freezing cold will cause it to break down. From what I've heard, freezing is way more destructive than heat. My AC went out for about 2 weeks, and it got up to 92ºF indoors. I was really worried that I might have to replace my entire resin stock, but it doesn't seem to have suffered any significant ill effects. Still, I accidentally left a bottle of UV craft resin (which has a slightly different chemical structure) out in the garage for 3 months and when I noticed and went to check on it, it had cured into a completely solid lump.

Even if you're printing out in the garage, keep your bottles of resin and whatever Isopropyl Alcohol or mineral spirits you're using for cleaning purposes indoors someplace cool and dry when you're not actively using them. One of those black plastic storage totes is ideal, as it'll block stray UV and you can easily wipe off any small resin dribbles that may occur.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

My crappy camera phone can't really do it justice, but I had a bit of extra room on the build plate this weekend, so I squeezed in a couple of proof-of-concept Wirrn-infected Noah test heads, just to make sure I'd got the scale right and that they'd actually print... Turns out they're just about perfect (I might shrink the final version down by maybe 3 or 4%) and you can just about make out individual teeth and bubbles on his cheek and forehead.

Mind you, this was just a test print. The final version will be part of the fully articulated figure and include a swappable regular un-infected head and arm (both with and without bubble wrap).

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wow! Looking good! (If a bit on the large side.) I'm looking forward to seeing the final!

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

In the latest DWM issue I think I see some of your models in the background of a photo, including a Taran Wood Beast!
Did someone say Foamasi?

3DPrintingDoctorWho

KingYcranos wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm
In the latest DWM issue I think I see some of your models in the background of a photo, including a Taran Wood Beast!
Is it a photo of some 3D printed TARDIS keys? Because if so, those are mine. Wasn't sure if it'd make the article because it was mainly about screen-used props, but I did talk for a while with the author. I may have to nip down to the comic store and see if I can find a copy.
Last edited by 3DPrintingDoctorWho on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I think you can buy it on whona.com. At least they used to sell it.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Here's my bit from in the article! I can now officially cross "become a hand-model for DWM" off my bucket list!

3DPrintingDoctorWho

I'm about to leave on a short but well deserved vacation, but I managed to squeeze this in under the wire. Most of you have already seen my finished Aggedor figure, but since I've been neglecting my YouTube channel for quite a while, my goal is to create more frequent shorter videos whenever I have a new figure to show off, rather than lengthy "project update" videos which always take way longer than I'd like to complete, and in the case of the last two videos I attempted to work on... certain events occurred which forced me to perform a complete 180 before I even ended up recording all the video segments.

I've already shot footage for the Exxilon Root re-release, and intend to do the same Hand of Omega after that, but both will have to wait until I'm back in town.

You'll notice a brand new animated sequence at the beginning of these videos, which somewhat serendipitously came about because the *other* non-who project I've been working on recently requires the use of luma key, and as a proof of concept, I needed a quick and simple animation with a plain white background, and realized that I could still get some use out of dear old figure #23 (The Season 17 Newbery TARDIS that I ended up taking down after only a couple of months when CO released their Shada set) and performed some extremely basic "stop motion" by moving the pieces in TinkerCAD and then using the back and forwards buttons to reverse through the sequence at speed while I recorded my browser output using Gamebar. It's not as fancy as a professional animator would produce, but for 13 seconds of footage, it gets the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcrnEQAthA
Last edited by 3DPrintingDoctorWho on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Nice! The movable jaw is a nice touch.

By the way, I think there's some misplaced audio around 4:55 in?

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Shoot, I don't know how I missed that. (Well, I do... it was because I was trying to upload minutes before I had to run out the door)
I've reuploaded a version with fixed audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcrnEQAthA

And here's the video for the re-release of the new and improved Exxilon Root:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYOksHf_r4