skifflebits

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by skifflebits »

Cyberon Commander wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:16 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:55 pm
This is gloriously insane!

EDIT: And does anyone know someone who'd be willing to print up a "Nightmare" Cyberman for me? :)
Hi, they’re my design so I could send you a fully assembled and painted one.
You, my friend, are a saint! I will contact you via PM. And thanks!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Cyberon Commander wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:16 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:55 pm
This is gloriously insane!

EDIT: And does anyone know someone who'd be willing to print up a "Nightmare" Cyberman for me? :)
Hi, they’re my design so I could send you a fully assembled and painted one.
Just a heads-up. I've been having trouble clearing messages out of my inbox so your last PM may not have come through. Hopefully this will clear up soon

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

The Yeti files have been updated to include a new resin printer friendly version that includes an extra point of articulation at the ankles.

I'm also currently working on fixing the Battle Damage Emperor Dalek.
I've got one of the two panels recut so that every side now slopes inward at approximately 30-45 degrees, which was a pain in the ass to pull off since TinkerCAD doesn't have a diagonal spin tool. I just had to rotate each cut and then eyeball it to see if it looked okay. Then go back and do it all again to make sure it lined up cleanly with the next edge intersection *and* duplicate the same angles but 0.5 mm further out to create a gap on each edge for the skirt.

I really really hope this works, because it took about 10 hours of work just to get this one panel completed. The end result looks much cleaner than the previous version, but I think there were some warping/shrinkage issues going on in addition to the problem of the panels being miscut, and that's something I can't really compensate for until I pull it off the printer and see what it looks like.

If it still requires extra tinkering after that, hopefully it'll at least be close enough that I only need to shave off a few bits and pieces of the panels rather than muck about with the skirt itself which is super expensive and time consuming to reprint.

The plan for the next couple of months is to get the Emperor in full working order, finish up Aggedor, complete the YouTube video I started 6 months ago to announce the Guest Templates section of my website (assuming my bronchitis has cleared up and I can talk without coughing up a lung) then possibly do one more remix figure (likely Chris Jones' excellent Whomobile) before focusing on the big "designing a figure start to finish" project.

Which is going to be something exciting and new, since I'm not really much of a vlogger guy and will have to figure out the logistics as I go. It takes hours and hours to make even a simple figure, even if it all goes perfectly according to plan, so whatever I do will have to be massively edited with lots of fast forwarding through the dull bits so people don't fall asleep. It's easy enough to record the output of TinkerCAD/Meshmixer, I've done it before, what's going to be harder is simultaneously recording video/audio explaining what I'm doing, and then editing all the bits together in Adobe Premiere, without having to rewatch days worth of footage of myself working to find the correct parts where I said something worth keeping.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Okay, the Battle Damage Emperor Dalek should now have two functional panels (barring unforeseen warping issues). At the very least, it should be more functional than the previous version. I've updated the files on Google Drive, and should have a new version test printed over the weekend. I also slightly tweaked the hole layout of the internal core since I realized the best way to simulate the coiled tubing inside was by simply wrapping different thicknesses of wire around cylindrical items, which look and maintain their shape much better than mucking about with a bunch of springs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_swhbj ... ThxmMEVuMo

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I had a Yeti 3Dhub printed back before it got prohibitively expensive. It was filament-printed, not resin, but I still had to do some sanding to get everything to fit properly.

But despite the minor fitting issues, it's a fantastic model, and I'm so glad I have it. Wasn't hard to paint, either.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:53 pm
I had a Yeti 3Dhub printed back before it got prohibitively expensive. It was filament-printed, not resin, but I still had to do some sanding to get everything to fit properly.

But despite the minor fitting issues, it's a fantastic model, and I'm so glad I have it. Wasn't hard to paint, either.
Filament printing in particular is hard to get precise measurements on, since there are so many factors that can cause minor variations in surface area. Everything from the type of filament used to layer height, nozzle size, orientation, infill %, support structures, and even the ambient temperature of the surrounding print area can have an effect.

When I make filament joints I tend to err on the side of going tighter rather than looser, because you can always sand down but you can't sand up.
Still, the difference between "fits snugly" and "falls off as soon as you touch it" is often less than a mm. That's why it usually takes at least 2 to 3 prototype attempts to get the articulation dialed in to where I'm happy with it. (Though I'm getting better... It used to take 3 to 6 attempts. ;) )

3DPrintingDoctorWho

The new Emperor Dalek skirt prints and slots together beautifully. I'm thrilled to finally be able to mark this one off as complete.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Because I still need to print the Emperor's dome and figured I might as well reprint something else small while I'm at it, I'm holding off on Aggedor for a bit and going back to take another stab at the Chumblies.

I was never really happy with the first version (it was only the third figure I'd worked on), especially the spring/catch mechanism which has never worked properly and won't work at all in resin, so I got the bright idea a while back to replace it with the same sort of clicky mechanism that's inside a ballpoint pen. Unfortunately, the only samples I could find were the wrong size and too thin or without enough wiggle room to slot together properly, so I'm having to rebuild it all from scratch by eyeballing what other people have done, and just hope I've got the engineering figured out correctly.

I've also gotten much better at taking measurements from photographs since I first started, and found a pretty good freeze frame from Air Lock that shows one standing nearly flush with the Doctor for reference. It turns out they're significantly bigger (about 20% larger) than I first thought, and are almost the same width around as a Dalek is long. This is a good thing though, since larger means more room to work on the internal mechanisms inside. (Though sadly, not enough room to also insert LED fairy lights, since the original Chumblies had internal lights that flashed when they used their sensors)

So, expect a new and improved Chumblie coming at some point in the next couple of weeks. Though if I've got my sums wrong, it may take a few test printings to work out all the kinks.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Still feeling like death warmed over, so I haven't been up to doing much design work lately.
Last weekend, I completely redesigned the pen clicker mechanism from scratch after realizing the center section did nothing and only took up extra space, I've now got a version that is (hopefully) much simpler and reliable, and only requires three active parts (the red and yellow item in the photo are the same bit, just in the up and down position.)

This weekend, I tossed out and completely rebuilt the Chumblies' domes from the ground up and gave them a more screen-accurate "pumpkin" texturing. As per usual, this involved a lot of back and forth between TinkerCAD, Meshlab, and Meshmixer, but it got the job done. The proportions are also way more accurate this time around, since I more or less know what I'm doing.

It's normally a pain in the ass trying to figure out proper scale when you have a creature where every costume was built slightly different, it comes from a serial that's largely missing, and it can stretch to different heights to boot. Luckily, with the Chumblies, there's a couple of scenes in the surviving episode, Airlock, where they're practically toe-to-toe with William Hartnell and shot very nearly straight on.

As long as I have an actor who already has a CO figure, the best way I've found to get measurements is to resize the photo on my desktop while holding the figure up against the screen until they're the same size. I then use the Windows snip tool to snip a picture of the image to "lock" it at the correct scale and save it to my working folder. Then, if I have other views of the monster, I use Photoshop to cut them out and add them to the one I know is correctly sized to create a composite image that I can easily glace at and take measurements from as needed.

With the Chumblies, we luck out again because there's a rather unusual set of reference photos in the 50th Anniversary 'The Vault' book that were created for toy manufacturers which show them from the top and the bottom. Since the Chumblies are round, the skirt diameter is always going to be the same from every angle, so it was relatively easy to resize these until they were the same width as the image in my screencap. This gives me an extremely accurate top, side, and bottom view of the figure, which is something I rarely have to work with.

From that point forward, it's just a case of keeping this composite image up on my second monitor and using my trusty pair of electronic calipers to measure exactly how wide/tall/thick every bit is, so that I can try to translate that into the basic shapes in TinkerCAD. (Which is very good about letting you specify the exact dimensions of things down to 1/100th of a mm.)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wow... Most impressive.