3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

Right then.... so a fellow customizer on Facebook issues a "sculpt a figure in a weekend" challenge, and even though I've already got two other projects I'm right in the middle of, I decided to jump on that. But just to make things even more insane, I'm also attempting to record the build process at the same time to make that "how to build a figure from start to finish" YouTube video I've been talking about for a while now.

I was planning on doing this with the Nucleus of the Swarm, but I think the Sensorite is a better choice, since it doesn't have anywhere near as much fiddly surface detail and sticky-outie bits. Plus I was able to use a prefab generic humanoid figure as a base, which means I only have to worry about the face and costume details. Maybe I'll do another video later for something simpler and geometric like the IMC Mining Robot.

Of course, since I'm here on the west coast, I'm already 8 hours behind everyone else, and because I was stupidly recording video to my SSD C: drive rather than my data drive, I maxed out the HD space and crashed my computer, losing about 2 hours worth of footage and maybe half an hour or so of work in the process. Fortunately, this was all from the tedious smooshing stuff around in Meshmixer phase, which I would have had to show in super-fast-forward anyways so people don't fall asleep, but still quite frustrating on a time-sensitive project and for the sake of showing how the finished figure takes shape.

What you see below is where I'm calling it for the first night. The head is about 2/3 sculpted and missing the facial hair. I'm leaving that and the bands around the arms until last because I might try to make a couple of different variants. (at the very least, there needs to be a version both with and without the diagonal sash). I'm also going to try to build the little tennis racket weapon and possibly the stethoscope thingie if it looks like they'll print.

I doubt I'll have a completely finished figure in another 24 hours, but if I can get the majority of the body sculpting done, and a first pass at the articulation, I'll consider it a success.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

This is amazing, especially for a single day.

Seriously, I remember when you wouldn't even touch designing a humanoid figure, and now you've done this...

3DPrintingDoctorWho

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:51 pm

Seriously, I remember when you wouldn't even touch designing a humanoid figure, and now you've done this...
This really is the upper edge of what I can do. I still can't do skin texture (cracks, scales, and wrinkles) or much in the way of clothing manipulation (just trying to add a couple of folds to the jumpsuit took several hours and still doesn't look quite right) but yeah... I definitely know more tricks than I used to, which means monsters like the Vogans, Tharills and possibly Primords are back on the table.

I didn't have as much time to work on the Sensorite today as I'd have liked, but I managed to finish the head sculpt (one of them at any rate) and the body is mostly done except for the forearms, sash and weapon accessory, which need to be done after articulation is completed so I can make sure the variant parts are all interchangeable. I'll test print a "vanilla" version first once I complete articulation, just so if I have to make changes afterwards, I won't have to backtrack and try to fix two heads and four forearms in the process.

The whispy beard ended up being far more problematic than I anticipated since they stick out all over the place and seem to be going off in a different direction in every photograph (and the ones with a mustache hide the mouth, so I ended up avoiding those). If I do an alternate head, I'll try to give the second one a more rounded "normal" looking beard closer to that of the Sensorite leader.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

Looking good! The Sensorites is one of my favourite 1st doctor stories! (odd i know)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

With three days left on the Kickstarter, I've decided to take the plunge and sign up for the Revopoint 3D Scanner. The tech demos look good, and I could see this being an extremely useful tool for figure design moving forward.

To this end, I am planning on holding my second ever shelf clearing sale sometime towards the end of February/early March depending on how long it takes my lungs to heal up.

For those who weren't around for the first one, this is the *ONLY* time any of my work ever goes up for sale, and it should be noted that I'm only selling off already existing less-than-perfect prototype figures. These are typically first or second round test figures that may be slightly off-scale, lack functional articulation (they may be too loose, bend the wrong way, or don't bend at all), have broken/chipped parts that I've tried to glue or repair as best I can, and/or are older versions that I've since gone back and improved upon.

While I'll try to pretty everything up as much as possible, if you own your own printer, you can probably print something nicer and more functional yourself. If you don't own a printer, however, this is your only opportunity to get in on this action without going through a print-to-order service. (Though know that bidding can get pretty insane for some of the larger more desirable items)

Please don't contact me asking what's for sale or if I can sell you figures on the side. I'll post a full list of what's going to be available shortly before I start posting the items on eBay.

I can tell you that there will be a bunch of Rutans, Chumblies and Quarks in the mix, as well as a couple of Wirrn, Exxilon Roots, Raston and Toymaker Robots, and at least one SIDRAT, Kroton, Junk Mail Robot, Spy Kite, Larvae Gun, Taran Wood Beast, Alpha Centauri, Battle Damage Emperor Dalek, and War Machine.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 am
skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:51 pm

This really is the upper edge of what I can do. I still can't do skin texture (cracks, scales, and wrinkles) or much in the way of clothing manipulation (just trying to add a couple of folds to the jumpsuit took several hours and still doesn't look quite right) but yeah... I definitely know more tricks than I used to, which means monsters like the Vogans, Tharills and possibly Primords are back on the table.
Well, I'll say it's a pretty impressive drive up the learning curve, so good on ya, and it's an inspiration to the rest of us who hope to have the time to learn this stuff some day.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

After several mistakes and blind alleys, I believe I've finally got the rebuilt Chumbley sorted, but because it has so many complex and untested elements, I'm going to give it a test print before I start celebrating and overwrite the old version on my webpage.

It's hard to see, but I've added in some very small holes where you can insert bent pins or wire to make the telescopic probe and three antennae. These should look better than the original oversized (and fragile) 3D printable versions, but the holes are so tiny, it's possible they may just seal up during the printing process.

As is usual for my modern figures, there's two completely separate versions for PLA (filament) and SLA (resin) printing. The PLA versions will have some slight overhangs in places, but it should be in areas where it's not too obvious and you can sand down a bit if you want to make it prettier.

The design requires the usual 1.5mm brass rods (or toothpick substitute) plus one 3/8"(9.4mm) by 1 7/8"(47.4mm) compression spring if you want the figure to be able to pop up to full height. (If you don't use one, it'll be stuck at the lowest setting until you pull up on it manually)
You can also add an optional 1/8"(4.7mm) by 1 1/2"(38.5mm) or shorter compression spring if you want to make the top head part wobble realistically.

It may also be necessary to squirt some lubricant inside the cylinder if it doesn't move smoothly enough (layer lines on PLA in particular can cause annoying friction issues with moving parts) but you don't want to use so much that it forms a vacuum seal that prevents the plunger part from rising properly.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:05 am
After several mistakes and blind alleys, I believe I've finally got the rebuilt Chumbley sorted, but because it has so many complex and untested elements, I'm going to give it a test print before I start celebrating and overwrite the old version on my webpage.

It's hard to see, but I've added in some very small holes where you can insert bent pins or wire to make the telescopic probe and three antennae. These should look better than the original oversized (and fragile) 3D printable versions, but the holes are so tiny, it's possible they may just seal up during the printing process.

As is usual for my modern figures, there's two completely separate versions for PLA (filament) and SLA (resin) printing. The PLA versions will have some slight overhangs in places, but it should be in areas where it's not too obvious and you can sand down a bit if you want to make it prettier.

The design requires the usual 1.5mm brass rods (or toothpick substitute) plus one 3/8"(9.4mm) by 1 7/8"(47.4mm) compression spring if you want the figure to be able to pop up to full height. (If you don't use one, it'll be stuck at the lowest setting until you pull up on it manually)
You can also add an optional 1/8"(4.7mm) by 1 1/2"(38.5mm) or shorter compression spring if you want to make the top head part wobble realistically.

It may also be necessary to squirt some lubricant inside the cylinder if it doesn't move smoothly enough (layer lines on PLA in particular can cause annoying friction issues with moving parts) but you don't want to use so much that it forms a vacuum seal that prevents the plunger part from rising properly.
Nice! I dont have a 3D printer, but I'd love these!

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Here's the completely redesigned Chumbley figure sitting next to the old one. You can see just how far my sculpting abilities have come in the last 3 years. The scale is also much more screen accurate this time around (it now looks like there’s enough room for a Dalek operator kneeling on a moving dolly inside, which is exactly how I think they were operated!)

I won’t be able to fully test the new “clicky pen” spring mechanism until its been painted and all the pieces glued together, and that's going to have to wait a couple of weeks or so since I'm still recovering from pneumonia and can't go out to the garage to paint or do anything that is going to further irritate my lungs or require wearing a respirator. (In fact, just about everything printing-related is on hold until I stop coughing up blood and can walk from one end of the house to the other without wheezing like an Ice Warrior)

However, I'm confident enough that this new version works better than the old one, even without the spring in place, that I've gone ahead and updated the files on Google Drive, and will attempt to update the assembly instruction on the website later this weekend. (There are some text instruction in the readme file in the zip folder, for anyone who can't wait.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNgPmI ... 9umSWXezHg

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

That's brilliant! I can definitely see the progression there. And I love the detail level of the various bits.