omega1963's custom 12" Daleks

Fincon1

Re: omega1963's custom 12" Daleks

Post by Fincon1 »

Nice one! I actually have an NSD completely dismantled ready for this colour scheme. I'm just trying to decide what grey to use for the base colour. Any tips?

Incidentally, the mechanisms are indeed very similar between the two brands. The main difference is due to the need for the rotating gun platform. When CO were pitching to the BBC, they actually made a mock-up of the NSD on a PE platform. It looks very like the finished NSD but part of the Classic PE shape are still clearly recognisable. They obviously poached several ideas from PE including the head rotation mechanism.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Fincon1 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm
Nice one! I actually have an NSD completely dismantled ready for this colour scheme. I'm just trying to decide what grey to use for the base colour. Any tips?

Incidentally, the mechanisms are indeed very similar between the two brands. The main difference is due to the need for the rotating gun platform. When CO were pitching to the BBC, they actually made a mock-up of the NSD on a PE platform. It looks very like the finished NSD but part of the Classic PE shape are still clearly recognisable. They obviously poached several ideas from PE including the head rotation mechanism.
Are you referring to the grey and black one in the background or the TLV one? The TLV one is silver, although I used a Vallejo chrome. If it’s the grey one behind I’m not sure, I’ve not found a colour that matches any of the 80’s daleks closely enough.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I love reading all this technical stuff, like I haven't a clue what anyone is saying but it's like there's this whole world of stuff going on that is so far beyond me but all makes sense, you're all so smart, it's great.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 am
I love reading all this technical stuff, like I haven't a clue what anyone is saying but it's like there's this whole world of stuff going on that is so far beyond me but all makes sense, you're all so smart, it's great.
Next time I put one back together I’ll take some pictures to indicate what we mean. It’s a nice little system although sort of redundant on mine as most are non working anyway.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

omega1963 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:33 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 am
Next time I put one back together I’ll take some pictures to indicate what we mean. It’s a nice little system although sort of redundant on mine as most are non working anyway.
I'd love to see that.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Fincon1 wrote:
Thanks for answering my earlier question! Damned interesting about "poaching".

You know, many are aware I loathe Se7en20 with a passion for the harm they have done to the US and world CO market. Well, when Al bemoaned them knocking off CO's 13th screwdriver, I felt even more scorn. However, if what you say is true, I might not reiterate the unique wrongness of that particular act going forward. ;)
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Fincon1 wrote:

Any photographs?

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

DalekCheese wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 pm
[quote=Fincon1 post_id=28203 time=<a href="tel:1600780048">1600780048</a> user_id=84]

Any photographs?
I only have 1 disassembled at the moment but I’m keeping a little secretive until it’s done. I’ll take some photos during the reassembly process that show how it works and fits together.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

omega1963 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
[quote=Fincon1 post_id=28203 time=<a href="tel:1600780048">1600780048</a> user_id=84]

Any photographs?
I only have 1 disassembled at the moment but I’m keeping a little secretive until it’s done. I’ll take some photos during the reassembly process that show how it works and fits together.
[/quote]

No, I meant of the mockup shown to the BBC :)

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

DalekCheese wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 pm
omega1963 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 pm
DalekCheese wrote:

Any photographs?
No, I meant of the mockup shown to the BBC :)
[/quote]

Ahhh, I’d love to see if there are any. If it was the same people looking at it as it was for the PE ones then they probably got a bit of Deja Vu.