Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Kaldor

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Kaldor »

Also, love how they demonstrated the ability of water jets, gas and sonic waves for the defence drone Daleks and then used absolutely a grand total of 0 of those abilities.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 pm
Also, love how they demonstrated the ability of water jets, gas and sonic waves for the defence drone Daleks and then used absolutely a grand total of 0 of those abilities.
If you have deadly killer lasers, why would you use water jets, gas and sonic waves on humanity when you're trying to completely wipe them out. Surely you'd just go for the killer lasers, yeah? Yeah.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

TheSparrow wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:50 pm
Kaldor wrote:
If you have deadly killer lasers, why would you use water jets, gas and sonic waves on humanity when you're trying to completely wipe them out. Surely you'd just go for the killer lasers, yeah? Yeah.
If you demonstrate new abilities, implying that this inherent new abilities lie with this new defence drone dalek, you would use said demonstrated abilities that you made a specific point out of, yeah?
Yeah.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm
TheSparrow wrote:
Kaldor wrote:
If you demonstrate new abilities, implying that this inherent new abilities lie with this new defence drone dalek, you would use said demonstrated abilities that you made a specific point out of, yeah?
Yeah.
Over 6000 languages and you decide to speak fax <3

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

TheSparrow wrote:
I could have misheard (and I have no intention of ever revisiting that episode) but did the defence droids not instruct each other not to laser the humans so they could eat them? If so, then surely we should have seen them use gas and sonics on the humans?

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Bundesrat wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am
TheSparrow wrote:
I could have misheard (and I have no intention of ever revisiting that episode) but did the defence droids not instruct each other not to laser the humans so they could eat them? If so, then surely we should have seen them use gas and sonics on the humans?
Oh, that wasn't the point Kally made but if it was then yeah probably? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're right, though. I'll get back to you when I watch it again. Cobra Kai S3 is out and I'm enjoying pretending like we don't have to social distance

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

TheSparrow wrote:
Kaldor wrote:
Yeah, that's kind of how I read it. And I read fire hoses, etc. to show that yes, this is actually an Earth construction, not a killer alien battle machine.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

Finally sat down to rewatch Revolution of the Daleks in Ultra HD. It really looks gorgeous. Some of the effects don't quite work as well in this level of HD but for the most part it's really stunning, especially the title sequence. I love that they've updated it with some more vibrant colours, definitely one of my favourite title sequences.

I do enjoy this episode but it bothers me that it so often feels like a first draft script. I think this could have been an excellent two-parter with a lot of things being given the proper room to breathe and fleshed out and developed, and some other things tightened up.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

It does feel like a first draft script. And very by-the-numbers. IMHO, anyway.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Agreed on the first draft point. Very much at a "Ok, got all the main scenes in - let's tighten up the pace, cut the fat, flesh out the dialogue/character points, and smooth the rough edges plotwise" place.

I'll even say with a revision or two, it could've felt like a solid good story to me. By-the-numbers yes, agreed. But then, so are "The Visitation", "The Unquiet Dead", and "The Shakespeare Code" and no one hits those with "2/10, would not recommend, worst ever" ratings. Quite the opposite, usually.