Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Doctor Gamer

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Doctor Gamer »

Well I really enjoyed that. I have a few qualms with the some of the pacing in the episode but on the whole I thought it was really nice! It was refreshing to see two companions leave without dying, and I think Graham and Ryan's departure was really nice and definitely set up for some sort of return or spin-off. The daleks were awesome, the episode was entertaining and was the one thing I think we've been missing over the past few months - a bit of quality Who. Plus I loved all the fan service!

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

That was pretty crap tbh

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

That was a really fun episode, pacing could have been better, but it had some great moments. Solid 7.5 out of 10

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm
That was pretty crap tbh
I only wish it has been that good.......

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:40 pm
it had some great moments.
I honestly didn’t find any.

I found the music well below par too.
Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:40 pm
Solid
It was certainly a solid in my eyes...... :D

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Ah well, can't win them all

SJF

Post by SJF »

I didn’t think it was bad.

But I also didn’t think it was good.

I did enjoy Jodie and Mandip. Tosin was actually pretty decent for once too. It felt like Bradley Walsh was barely in it though.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Comedian John Bishop is to join Jodie Whittaker for the 13th series of Doctor Who, the BBC has revealed.

BBC website

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I loved that Graham's last line was "you're doing it mate" that was really great, but he did feel really underused for his last episode, and it made me sad that he (the character I mean) would happily have stayed long enough if he wasn't kind of a package with Ryan. I also wasn't a big fan of how abruptly the new daleks were dispatched with, I wanted more of them, maybe the two sets teaming up, really mess up what the doctor was trying to do.

But things I did love: Jack was a lot of fun, but not over the top, we had thoughtful pensive moments in there, the daleks were more deadly in a few minutes after turning red than they were in the entire moffat run and I'm here for that, they also looked amazing, that really cinematic looking tardis landing effect, I'd love to see more of that, there were some great shots over all, and I feel the colour grading was less murky. I thought the return of not-trump, despite a lot of people not liking him and the fact his original episode wasn't good, I thought his return was a great bit of interconnectivity, I loved the opening part establishing how they got the dalek. Pacing was kind of an issue because essentially the prime minister lady died as soon as she'd unveiled the daleks, kind of felt a bit incomplete as a character arc, but apart from that I liked what we did get with her and all the political dalekising.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

In fairness I didn't get to watch that with the best resolution (Ha!) but yeah, pretty underwhelming. For all I harped on the Davies era and all the reverence it gets from the current show, it really did some things right - Things that the current team doesn't nail at all, especially with regard to character and emotional resonance/consequence.

By no means was this all-out, really bad (I'm reluctant to say "good" at all though). But I feel this is pretty much the show John Nathan-Turner would've made with budget and a better creative team. And I guess your mileage with it depends on how good you are with his era's strengths ("event" plot developments, cast/cameo big deals, locations to heighten episode visuals) and weaknesses (Reliance on old monsters for any substantial villainy, underdeveloped lead characters, unearned emotional beats, lack of event continuity with character beats).

Also, a personal gripe that actually reflects how backwards the writing is. The script and events actually set up a great topical Doctor lecture; She had every right to dress down Chris Noth's character and address politicians (particularly a certain American one Noth was obviously an analogue for) selfishly prioritizing their own safety and lives over those they were elected to serve - The show actually set up and earned a topical speech that would work in-universe....and they whiffed it.

On a related note, Whittaker's dialogue is still so bland that I'm hard pressed to count great speeches of hers on one Sontaran hand. PLEASE up the writing game, Series 13!!!

Like 2020, Series 12 is now behind us. Here's to a more promising and better year (and Series).

(Although, I'm already disappointed that we have a new reason/companion to push Yaz to the back, and this team absolutely struggles to introduce and sustain characters....)