The Seventh Doctor's Timeline

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Re: The Seventh Doctor's BF Timeline

Post by skifflebits »

It took her that long to get mad at the Doctor for manipulating her, eh? :)

At least Sophie acknowledged all the other versions that had come before. Good on her for tying it all together.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:48 pm
It took her that long to get mad at the Doctor for manipulating her, eh? :)

At least Sophie acknowledged all the other versions that had come before. Good on her for tying it all together.
Its basically the same exit she got in the other novels. She got mad because the Doctor manipulated her new boyfriend into sacrificing himself so she left him.

Then came back a few books later as an angsty soldier.

SJF

Post by SJF »

UPDATE:
The Psychic Circus - The Doctor seems to have randomly forgotten the events of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (He’s walking around like “hmm all of this is awfully familiar”) but is reminded of it by the end of the story. The TARDIS makes the TV Movie sounds, so it’s probably late-ish in his life, but I think I’ll put it before the Mags Trilogy because it makes sense that after being reminded of the Psychic Circus in this story, he might’ve decided to go and check up on Mags.

SJF

Post by SJF »

UPDATE: Subterfuge
I forgot to add this when it came out, but I’ve placed it between Warlock's Cross and Dark Universe. Basically it’s in release order for TV Movie era Seventh Doctor, except before Dark Universe because that seems to loosely lead into the TV Movie. The Doctor looks young on the cover but in the story Churchill mentions that he looks much older than the last time he met that incarnation (he actually references an obscure short story) and also they have a falling out after the Doctor manipulates Churchill, something similar happens with Ace in Dark Universe.

Also I’ve stuck the new short trip Dead Woman Walking in an unplaced section for now. I’ve not heard it but it’s Seven and Ace, and apparently Ace is really pissed off by how manipulative the Doctor is in it.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am
The TARDIS makes the TV Movie sounds, so it’s probably late-ish in his life, but I think I’ll put it before the Mags Trilogy because it makes sense that after being reminded of the Psychic Circus in this story, he might’ve decided to go and check up on Mags.
Does BF really use different TARDIS sounds for different eras? That's pretty cool of them...

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:06 pm
SJF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am
The TARDIS makes the TV Movie sounds, so it’s probably late-ish in his life, but I think I’ll put it before the Mags Trilogy because it makes sense that after being reminded of the Psychic Circus in this story, he might’ve decided to go and check up on Mags.
Does BF really use different TARDIS sounds for different eras? That's pretty cool of them...
Yeah, although to be fair they’re really inconsistent with it for the Seventh Doctor. Most of his stories use the TV movie sounds these days except the ones with just Mel. That’s because pretty much all of their Seventh Doctor audios are set after Survival.

They’ve had the 80s console change to the movie one about three times now so really you can only take it with a pinch of salt.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Three times??

It seems like the 7th Doctor series is the most confusing of the lot, continuity-wise.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 pm
Three times??

It seems like the 7th Doctor series is the most confusing of the lot, continuity-wise.
Yeah, basically in Sirens of Time, it’s TV movie era Seven with the 80s console noises and then in his second TV movie era story it changes to the TV movie sounds and the Doctor basically just says “oh I’ve just redecorated”.

But then in The Settling with Ace and Hex, the sounds suddenly change from the 80s console to the TV movie one. It would be fine if it’s just the noises because you can right it off as a mistake or something but then they start making reference to the fact it’s the Victorian parlour console room and I think they even showed it on one of the covers.

Then in the recent Mags trilogy, which is set after Ace FINALLY leaves, the TARDIS has suddenly got the 80s sounds again but randomly changes to the TV movie ones halfway through the final story. So yeah pretty unreliable.

Seven’s BF continuity is ridiculously inconsistent. It’s already bad enough that it doesn’t match the VNAs but at least you can just say well they’re two different ranges anyway. They adapted the Season 27 lost stories but decided to not have Ace leave and go to Gallifrey (even though she was offered the opportunity in the story) so they had the new companion Raine travel with Seven and Ace. But then they stopped using Raine so she never got a resolution. They then did a boxset with TV Movie Seven where Raine is new to the team and Ace is gone because she’s now on Gallifrey. What was the point of having Ace stay with the Doctor if just a year or two later they send her to Gallifrey anyway? Plus when people questioned why Raine was suddenly back with the old Seventh Doctor but wasn’t a seasoned companion yet, BF literally just said that it takes place during the lost stories for Raine but later for the Doctor.

And then there’s Ace. They just don’t want to let her go. They developed her into a mature adult during the Hex arc and then as soon as he left she reverted to Season 24 characterisation. It was ridiculous.

The Outcast

Re: The Seventh Doctor's Timeline

Post by The Outcast »

7's Timeline is basically one big mess of over thirty years and different continuities. Supposedly the TARDIS reverts back to the 80s console room during the Black and White arc, and I imagine the Mags stuff really was an error, like in Diary of River Song 2, where the TARDIS has it's 80s sounds and roundels in The Unknown, but in Eye of the Storm it has the TV Movie interior.

Basically everything is a huge mess, so I have an all media timeline which is something like:
TV > Comics > Lost Stories > PDAs > Big Finish stuff with Hex > VNAs and Tie-in Comics > 7th Doctor solo* > Older 7th Doctor stuff

*Basically all the stuff where he's got his TV costume on the cover also using the TV Movie interior, such as NABS, the first Klein trilogy, Psychic Circus, Subterfuge, the Mags trilogy, that sort of stuff.

SJF

Re: The Seventh Doctor's Timeline

Post by SJF »

The Outcast wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:37 am
7's Timeline is basically one big mess of over thirty years and different continuities. Supposedly the TARDIS reverts back to the 80s console room during the Black and White arc, and I imagine the Mags stuff really was an error, like in Diary of River Song 2, where the TARDIS has it's 80s sounds and roundels in The Unknown, but in Eye of the Storm it has the TV Movie interior.

Basically everything is a huge mess, so I have an all media timeline which is something like:
TV > Comics > Lost Stories > PDAs > Big Finish stuff with Hex > VNAs and Tie-in Comics > 7th Doctor solo* > Older 7th Doctor stuff

*Basically all the stuff where he's got his TV costume on the cover also using the TV Movie interior, such as NABS, the first Klein trilogy, Psychic Circus, Subterfuge, the Mags trilogy, that sort of stuff.
It’s actually a myth that the TARDIS goes back to the 80s interior during Signs of Wonders (which is a bit later than the Black and White trilogy). It actually gets reset to an empty blank white room with no console and the 80s noises and the Doctor says he can restore the previous configuration, then by the next story it goes back to having that TV movie noises again.