Faction Paradox [FP SPOILERS inevitable]

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Faction Paradox [FP SPOILERS inevitable]

Post by skifflebits »

Can we talk about Faction Paradox? (And by extension, the bastard stepchild of Doctor Who "Expanded Universe"* writers, Lawrence Miles?)

*Borrowing the "Expanded Universe" term from Star Wars, for lack of a better descriptor.

I absolutely adored of Faction Paradox when I read "Alien Bodies." There were so many cool ideas packed into that one concept. The "goth" faction of Time Lords. The grandfather paradox as the anchor to their beliefs. A TARDIS chameleon-circuited into a person. etc.

And to my mind, Lawrence Miles is the only writer to really nail the idea of how a Time War would unfold. Time Traveling races rewriting and re-rewriting a battle over and over again until the bitter end. Technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from surrealism.

I thought the first two audios -- "Eleven Day Empire" and "The Shadow Play" -- were brilliant. Then got a little turned off when "Sabbath Dei" spent the whole story mucking around with the Earl of Sandwich, and got unsure about buying the rest.

"The Book of the War" read a bit too much like an encyclopedia -- which, of course, was the point -- so I never got through it. I bought "This Town Will Never Let Us Go," but moved shortly thereafter, and it ended up buried deep in a box, unread, to this day.

I'm thinking about dipping back in again. Going back and maybe re-reading "Alien Bodies," then picking up the rest of Miles' DW novels to see how they read. The concept is so cool, and the world is so compelling. It's a shame Miles himself kind of imploded around the time of the new series.

Has anyone out there been through all of it? Any recommendations?

I'm looking at you SJF. :)

TheSparrow

Re: Faction Paradox [FP SPOILERS inevitable]

Post by TheSparrow »

I agree. I never really grasped the concept of what the Faction Paradox series was. Does anybody know anything about where to start with it?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Well, if you can get your hands on it, I'd start with "Alien Bodies." It's a great 8th Doctor novel and lays out the foundation of Faction Paradox.

I'm pretty sure it's out of print, but maybe you can get your hands on it in e-book form, or maybe second-hand on eBay.

EDIT: A quick google search urned it up on epdf.com. Obviously, if you get it that way, you're essentially bootlegging the book without the author getting any compensation for it. On the other hand, since the book's out of print, buying a used copy would also give the author no compensation. And since used copies are going for $35-$40 on amazon.us, the download may have more appeal.

Don't even ask what "The Book of the War" is going for.

SJF

Post by SJF »

It’s crap and not canon.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

SJF wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm
It’s crap and not canon.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Now listen, I’ve got a 5-pound bag of dicks here...

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

DalekCheese wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 pm
Now listen, I’ve got a 5-pound bag of dicks here...
This forum 😂

SJF

Post by SJF »

Nah I’ve not actually read any of the Faction Paradox stuff, although really the unlicensed stuff isn’t really my cup of tea.

Plus FP in particular just takes such bizarre liberties with continuity that’s it’s barely the same universe anymore.

But what I do know is effectively you read the Eighth Doctor novels:

Alien Bodies
Interference
The Ancestor Cell
The Adventuress of Henrietta Street

And then you get into the spin off itself and you’re supposed to start with The Book of the War but it’s OOP and crazy expensive and I don’t think it has a pdf edition.

I don’t think it matters what order you read the novels in (there isn’t actually many of them) but I believe that they go in reverse order chronologically, but are all relatively self contained. There’s also various anthologies and two audio series.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm
It’s crap and not canon.
No...

It's great and not canon.

:D

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

The ancestor cell properly messed me up when I first read it. So creepy.