How Would You End Doctor Who?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Valeyard

How Would You End Doctor Who?

Post by Valeyard »

Let’s say that hypothetically, you’re given the task of writing the final ever episode of Doctor Who. Quite literally. It’s unlikely it’ll come back and you have been mandated by the BBC to write a definitive ending for the show as a result. How would you go about doing this?

Gek2Win

Re: How Would You End Doctor Who?

Post by Gek2Win »

I think it's hard to say what would be a good choice, but I think it should end similarly to Survival, with the Doctor's adventures continuing, just that we aren't going to be watching them. However, I think it should have an element of finality, and I think that should come from a more personal battle; the Master, but not threatening a planet, or the universe, but the Doctor. Probably should end with some degree of final duel, although I don't think we want a repeat of Survival for that one. What this amounts to is a modern day, more serious Survival, which tells a story which is by no means the end of the Doctor, but gives a sense of finality to the series.

One suggestion I have considered is writing the final battle so it ends with one dying and the other regenerating, but it's deliberately unclear which is which. The Doctor goes out to continue their travels with their companions, but whether they are the real Doctor, or some pretence of the Master's, is never revealed. I personally think this is flawed however as it seems a grim ending, which is quite the opposite of what I think it should be.

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

Ok picture this: the screen is black. Then in fades the time vortex. A list of names begin scrolling up, cataloguing all the actors that had been in that episode. The doctor who themr plays over it. Once the names have finished the screen fades back to black and the bbc logo is shown. Doctor who is now over.
Eggs gon give it to ya

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

... Twice Upon a Time was quite nice.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

If I had to end the series, I'd want it to be small-scale. The Daleks have been The Doctor's greatest enemy, so I think having them be the main villains of the final episode would fit. Let's say it takes place near the end of the universe where the Daleks are all but extinct. Davros is dead, and only a few of his creations remain. When the last Daleks discover that The Doctor has landed on a nearby colony where some humans fleeing the Cyber War reside, they waste no time in going there to kill The Doctor. They know there's no way of surviving or continuing their race, so killing their arch-enemy will be their final victory. This should be a very personal conflict between The Doctor and the Daleks, a hatred for one another that has built up over centuries and showing what they truly think of one another. The Doctor gets the survivors to a ship, and sets the coordinates for a planet where they know they'll be safe from hostile aliens. They then set off to destroy the Daleks, finally accepting that it's for the greater good. However, the Daleks detonate a bomb that destroys the colony completely, as well as themselves. The Doctor just barely survives, as does one of the Daleks, who gloats about their victory before dying. The Doctor finds the TARDIS, it's exterior badly damaged from the explosion, and heads inside, setting the coordinates for Earth's orbit. They open the TARDIS doors, and sit, looking down on the Earth, the stars, sun and moon while smiling and saying how beautiful it all is. They turn around, hallucinating all of their past lives and companions. The First Doctor walks towards the doors, and sits besides the current Doctor. 'Not this time it seems' the current Doctor says, showing his hand and the lack of regeneration energy. The First Doctor smiles and says 'Nothing lasts forever, but legacies certainly do. I'd say we left a rather remarkable one, hmm?'. The current Doctor nods in agreement, shedding a tear. The other Doctors step forward and comfort their future self, comforting them as they all admire Earth's beauty. The companions join them, as the camera pans backwards, we have a wide shot of every Doctor and companion ever to appear on the show, in audio, comics, prose etc. The credits roll, and much like Avengers Endgame, have an image of every actor/actress to play The Doctor, as well as their signature.

SJF

Post by SJF »

The Eighth Doctor would wake up and tell his companions Liv and Helen that he had the most peculiar dream.

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

Of course it's the Valeyard asking this :lol: .

The simple answer to your question is you don't. I know that bypasses your question but the truth is should the show be taken off the air at any point then you should simply have the Doctor walk off into the sunset with or without the companion of the day and leave the adventures to come for the imagination of the audience. When you have a show that can recreate itself infinitely then you'd have to be a fool to stick a definitive ending on it.

'The story never ends'

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Neon Wolf wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Of course it's the Valeyard asking this :lol: .

The simple answer to your question is you don't. I know that bypasses your question but the truth is should the show be taken off the air at any point then you should simply have the Doctor walk off into the sunset with or without the companion of the day and leave the adventures to come for the imagination of the audience. When you have a show that can recreate itself infinitely then you'd have to be a fool to stick a definitive ending on it.

'The story never ends'
Valeyard wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:16 pm
If I had to end the series, I'd want it to be small-scale. The Daleks have been The Doctor's greatest enemy, so I think having them be the main villains of the final episode would fit. Let's say it takes place near the end of the universe where the Daleks are all but extinct. Davros is dead, and only a few of his creations remain. When the last Daleks discover that The Doctor has landed on a nearby colony where some humans fleeing the Cyber War reside, they waste no time in going there to kill The Doctor. They know there's no way of surviving or continuing their race, so killing their arch-enemy will be their final victory. This should be a very personal conflict between The Doctor and the Daleks, a hatred for one another that has built up over centuries and showing what they truly think of one another. The Doctor gets the survivors to a ship, and sets the coordinates for a planet where they know they'll be safe from hostile aliens. They then set off to destroy the Daleks, finally accepting that it's for the greater good. However, the Daleks detonate a bomb that destroys the colony completely, as well as themselves. The Doctor just barely survives, as does one of the Daleks, who gloats about their victory before dying. The Doctor finds the TARDIS, it's exterior badly damaged from the explosion, and heads inside, setting the coordinates for Earth's orbit. They open the TARDIS doors, and sit, looking down on the Earth, the stars, sun and moon while smiling and saying how beautiful it all is. They turn around, hallucinating all of their past lives and companions. The First Doctor walks towards the doors, and sits besides the current Doctor. 'Not this time it seems' the current Doctor says, showing his hand and the lack of regeneration energy. The First Doctor smiles and says 'Nothing lasts forever, but legacies certainly do. I'd say we left a rather remarkable one, hmm?'. The current Doctor nods in agreement, shedding a tear. The other Doctors step forward and comfort their future self, comforting them as they all admire Earth's beauty. The companions join them, as the camera pans backwards, we have a wide shot of every Doctor and companion ever to appear on the show, in audio, comics, prose etc. The credits roll, and much like Avengers Endgame, have an image of every actor/actress to play The Doctor, as well as their signature.
I agree with both of these... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Merlin wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:14 pm
... Twice Upon a Time was quite nice.
>:(

SJF

Post by SJF »

The Doctor uses a Chameleon Arch on themself, and is regressed into a Child. They then fall through the boundary and arrive on a random planet where they’re found by Tecteon and the story begins again.