The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Re: The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Post by skifflebits »

Looks like they animated "Evil of the Daleks!" Neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-Gy_0LZ1g&t=40s

Deborah J

Re: The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Post by Deborah J »

I just saw that, looks great!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I might be in the minority, but I like the animations better than the recons as a viewing experience. I mean, the recons are nice for historical record purposes, but it's more fun to watch the animated episodes.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:16 am
I might be in the minority, but I like the animations better than the recons as a viewing experience. I mean, the recons are nice for historical record purposes, but it's more fun to watch the animated episodes.
I agree. And I'm happy we have them....and happy with them.

But oddly enough, I got a sound "not-we" perspective when I lent a friend "The Macra Terror" and he laughed the animation quality away as "crap".

Given his love of Anime and DC/Star Wars animated series, I should've seen it coming. But it reminded me that lucky as we are, those not predisposed to having to "make do" with off air soundtracks and production stills kind of view our blessings as just a cut above "South Park".

Cynically, I guess we can expect them all upgraded a la "Power" eventually, huh? ;)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I don't understand what people are seeing that they think the animations are bad, like it's maybe not studio Ghibli level but it's pretty good, some people say it's equivalent to 70s Saturday morning cartoons and that just doesn't match up to what I'm seeing, in the case of macra, faceless and evil, some pretty artfully done pieces of animation

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 am
skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:16 am
I agree. And I'm happy we have them....and happy with them.

But oddly enough, I got a sound "not-we" perspective when I lent a friend "The Macra Terror" and he laughed the animation quality away as "crap".

Given his love of Anime and DC/Star Wars animated series, I should've seen it coming. But it reminded me that lucky as we are, those not predisposed to having to "make do" with off air soundtracks and production stills kind of view our blessings as just a cut above "South Park".

Cynically, I guess we can expect them all upgraded a la "Power" eventually, huh? ;)
I mean, to be brutal, compared to everything else out there, in a way they kind of are "crap". I can't think of a kids network in the English-speaking world who would air a new show with animation that clunky, really. But from the perspective of animation funded by home-video releases of a 50 year old TV series, it's really quite brilliant. It's just never going to compare with something with proper funding.

rowie4life

Post by rowie4life »

Doctor Who - The Collection Series 23 standard edition is up for preorder, with a release date of October 4th. The price has gone up on it, compared to the previous 4, but it's still better than £100+

Zavvi £41.98 including postage
Amazon £44.99

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

So glad they're re-releasing all of these for the UK folks.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

It's still £38 on hmv, that's what they've all been so far. The first two were £40 when they first went up for pre-order, but they lowered the price before release and refunded the difference.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:13 am
It's still £38 on hmv, that's what they've all been so far. The first two were £40 when they first went up for pre-order, but they lowered the price before release and refunded the difference.
I know on Amazon in the US the first listing of the product usually shows it at full retail price, then it drops when it finally goes up for sale. Maybe it'll be the same pattern here?