The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
ANewWatchBegins

Re: The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

I've reached The Leisure Hive in my rewatch and it's reminded me of being a young child, going to the exhibition in Blackpool and asking them which Classic DVD had K9 in it because I was obsessed with K9 as a kid. He recommended The Leisure Hive and whilst not wrong that K9 did feature, it was harrowing as a kid expecting to see a fun K9 adventure and instead watching him race to a watery grave within in the first two minutes of the story.

Spannerintheworks

Re: The Over-Encompassing Classic Series Thread (1963-1989 +1996 +Books, Comics, etc.)

Post by Spannerintheworks »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:20 pm
I've reached The Leisure Hive in my rewatch and it's reminded me of being a young child, going to the exhibition in Blackpool and asking them which Classic DVD had K9 in it because I was obsessed with K9 as a kid. He recommended The Leisure Hive and whilst not wrong that K9 did feature, it was harrowing as a kid expecting to see a fun K9 adventure and instead watching him race to a watery grave within in the first two minutes of the story.
Someone clearly didn't like their job, K-9, or children. Or all 3; Season 18 in general is probably the worst for anyone who actually likes him.

I think Season 16 is kindest to him. It's overall strong on the story front (I feel like it's an easy argument that 4/6 are at least great/good to most fans, and the other 2 are nowhere near as rough as other seasons' lesser points), K-9's often relevant to the story, rarely seems like baggage, and is only written out of a story that would've struggled to feature him ("The Power of Kroll", because wet/swamp) Other seasons have good stories for him, but he usually gets written out of at least 2 whole stories or the stories themselves are lacking.

ANewWatchBegins

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 pm
ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Someone clearly didn't like their job, K-9, or children. Or all 3; Season 18 in general is probably the worst for anyone who actually likes him.

I think Season 16 is kindest to him. It's overall strong on the story front (I feel like it's an easy argument that 4/6 are at least great/good to most fans, and the other 2 are nowhere near as rough as other seasons' lesser points), K-9's often relevant to the story, rarely seems like baggage, and is only written out of a story that would've struggled to feature him ("The Power of Kroll", because wet/swamp) Other seasons have good stories for him, but he usually gets written out of at least 2 whole stories or the stories themselves are lacking.
I'd have to agree, I also think he does well paired with Leela, I love how she interacts with him, but is let down in a lot of the Season 15 scripts by not being expected to be there, whereas by 16 the writers know he's going to be there and use him much better. Season 17 is a rough one with his 'laryngitis'. :lol:

Season 18 is fairly harsh to him. Blown up, then repaired, then head smashed off, then repaired, then he's out!

I do understand JNT's mentality in coming in and making the changes he does, like getting rid of poor K9. Season 17 often feels like the show is falling apart at the seams and barely anyone involved is taking it seriously anymore with the humour getting excessive. But Season 18 I think goes too hard in the other direction, there's nothing to balance it out tonally, and whilst I think the tone is thematically part of it being Tom's final season, as a kid I always found it pretty miserable and hard to get into.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 pm
I do understand JNT's mentality in coming in and making the changes he does, like getting rid of poor K9. Season 17 often feels like the show is falling apart at the seams and barely anyone involved is taking it seriously anymore with the humour getting excessive. But Season 18 I think goes too hard in the other direction, there's nothing to balance it out tonally, and whilst I think the tone is thematically part of it being Tom's final season, as a kid I always found it pretty miserable and hard to get into.
Rogue Trader vs. 5th Edition. Grimdark vs. Grimderp. S17 vs. S18. Yin and Yang.

Spannerintheworks

Honestly, If "Shada" had been completed and maybe one of the 3 stories on the back end ("Creature", "Nightmare", "Horns") had been swapped out for something a bit more serious I think season 17 would've been really balanced overall. I mean, considering who the Script Editor was this was hardly going to be the second coming of Hinchcliffe.

Similarly, I've read about the stories rejected for Season 18 and while the E-space Trilogy (particularly "State of Decay" and "Warrior's Gate") and "Traken" are really fun or at least well-plotted affairs, the rejected stories are some of the most tragic misses in all of potential Who for me. My favourites:

*A Celtic pastiche involving dragons ("Erinella")
*"Sealed Orders", where the Doctor receives orders from Gallifrey to kill Romana, all while an anomaly causes time in the TARDIS to run at different speeds.
*The Doctor getting stroppy and trying to "settle down" on earth, having a run-in with the actor Tom Baker.

Seriously, I'd take any of those over "The Leisure Hive", "Meglos", or most of the Davison era.

ANewWatchBegins

I'm approaching McCoy's era of my rewatch, and I was wondering what people thought the best way to watch Battlefield and Curse of Fenric were, now that we have three different ways to watch with the Collection boxsets?

Spannerintheworks

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:11 pm
I'm approaching McCoy's era of my rewatch, and I was wondering what people thought the best way to watch Battlefield and Curse of Fenric were, now that we have three different ways to watch with the Collection boxsets?
The Battlefield director's cut is superior, hands down imo. Fixes spotty editing ("Boom!") and gives things a better sense of scale and gravitas.

On the other hand, I was never crazy about the "Fenric" edits. Some of the shots linger a little TOO long, and almost reek of the actors wondering why someone hasn't said "Cut!". The original episodes have the bulk of what's best/important, and while I haven't seen whatever was tweaked for the collection, it would need a lot of discreet scene trims for me to feel better about it.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Definitely the director's cut of "Battlefield." Turns a clunker into actually something nice.

I liked the "Fenric" director's cut, too. Yes, it's a bit slower, but the story makes a lot more sense IMHO.
Last edited by skifflebits on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ANewWatchBegins

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the director's cuts for this rewatch. Can't believe I'm starting Season 26 now! When I started this rewatch of the whole show I expected it to be something I'd come back to on and off over a couple years but I wasn't counting on a global pandemic and quarantine so it's gone much faster than I ever anticipated.