Season 13 and beyond...?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Spannerintheworks

Re: Season 13 and beyond...?

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Doctor What wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm
I think Chibnall is supposed to have a five year plan, but does that mean literally five years? Like would last year count as one of those five since the only story was Resolution?
I mean, I feel like Jodie will leave after one more Series. Her interviews all called out Series 12 as "it's not my final year" or something similar; It was said in a very odd way. Why would you call out your second Series as "not your last year"? Plus this is gobbling up her life/career, this year even moreso- The only time she could've snuck in non-Who work the whole industry shuts down. By the time filming Series 13 wraps at this rate, it will have been 5 years of her life. That's a LOT for an actor with little else being done those 5 years. Maybe if she was a lifelong fan, but she's established she wasn't that either. Plus, the people she came on board with (Walsh/Cole, possibly Gill) will be gone, so any camaraderie they've had filming is moot.

I'd wager Chibnall leaves with her. He's gotten a rough ride and whether you think it's fair or not, remember: He was that fan watching JNT bury himself under Who. Now he's the guy fandom at large is demonizing. If he rallies and leaves Who with Jodie on a high note, the old "Make 'em miss you", it could be good for him and the show. Were the show done as frequently as it was with Davies, I feel he'd more of an advantage. But it seems like 12 month breaks don't benefit the show and his production style on Broadchurch hints that may be his preference. It's years of his life too, and right now he'll be promoting that 3rd season at the point Moffat had bragging rights to global viewing expansion and the 50th anniversary. Davies had just wrapped Series 4 and was doing a victory lap. Regardless of what you think of their eras, you have to admit they had more to show for them at the point that, if I'm being kind, Chibnall can boast of...strong audience showings his first year, some narrative risk, and (some) bold/groundbreaking casting.

I really am optimistic, and feel that the show always has the potential to bounce from weakness with a "Caves of Androzani" style rebound. I'd love to see those two pull off that high, and then clear the decks for something new. (Ideally, a bold producer from outside the fan circle that's dominated Who. A new series Hinchcliffe, if you will.)

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

Spannerintheworks

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 pm
I mean, I appreciate the positivity and stiff upper lip in the face of pandemic/delays/etc, but ultimately this is about as conclusive as "the check is in the mail": Good intent, little certainty. (Which is the whole entertainment industry now, really.)

There really is nothing certain beyond we'll GET a series 13 with Jodie. Can anyone even confirm Mandip Gill will be there?? (I dont recall any formal confirmation she stays/goes)

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 pm
ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 pm
I mean, I appreciate the positivity and stiff upper lip in the face of pandemic/delays/etc, but ultimately this is about as conclusive as "the check is in the mail": Good intent, little certainty. (Which is the whole entertainment industry now, really.)

There really is nothing certain beyond we'll GET a series 13 with Jodie. Can anyone even confirm Mandip Gill will be there?? (I dont recall any formal confirmation she stays/goes)
To be fair, there’s not even any confirmation as to whether Bradley and Tosin are leaving either. It’s just a case of Tosin being announced as a lead for a two season US series making it unlikely that he’s staying on Doctor Who given the rigorous schedule and then Bradley is rumoured to be leading an ITV drama or something and obviously he’s already really busy anyway. Plus the mirror rumour that pretty much said that they were leaving and Mandip is staying.

Tl;dr - Bradley and Tosin are rumoured to be leaving and have new jobs lined up to support that whereas Yaz is rumoured to stay and there’s no word on Mandip getting a new job so far.

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

Looks like we have Chibnall for a while yet: https://www.facebook.com/38924709779011 ... 98208/?d=n
Last edited by TARDIS23 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

"Same cast and crew"
So, Brad, Tosin and Mandip are staying, or?
As an afterthought - it happens every year, but I feel like the whole
"<DOCTOR/SHOWRUNNER> TO LEAVE??" has really ramped up since Jodie started and it's always really annoying to see?

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

TheSparrow wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am
"Same cast and crew"
"<DOCTOR/SHOWRUNNER> TO LEAVE??" has really ramped up since Jodie started and it's always really annoying to see?
Crew I can see but the cast bit seems odd unless it just means Jodie but if so it’s very weird wording. Also yeah I agree it always seems to start after a couple of seasons of the current doctor but this time round it seemed almost immediate.

Spannerintheworks

TARDIS23 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am
TheSparrow wrote:
"Same cast and crew"
Crew I can see but the cast bit seems odd unless it just means Jodie but if so it’s very weird wording. Also yeah I agree it always seems to start after a couple of seasons of the current doctor but this time round it seemed almost immediate.
I'd wager this means crew (bear in mind though, similar renewals for the Davies and Moffat eras saw prominent "crew" - Phil Collinson, for example - and cast - Eccleston obviously, but Matt Smith and Tennant were clearly intended/wished to stay longer by various parties - leave sooner.) Chibnall technically is only one of a couple "top guys", as well. (I believe Matt Strevens produces as well, similar to how Julie Gardner, Piers Wenger, and Caroline Skinner have amongst others. If Davies' book is typical, this role is equally important as Chibnall's in many ways but simply doesnt include writing/plot direction/scripts.) A producer - Chibnall even - could leave and the same "crew" under the other producer could stay.

Plus, given Chibnall's era thus far, they'd NEVER announce departure this far in advance, if at all. While I admit it's possible Chibnall could stay, I'd just take this announcement as reassurance the BBC have renewed Doctor Who with no intention/perceived need to alter its cast and crew with renewals. They intend to make Series 13-15, with no intent to change cast and crew.

(Which, given all the "decline/BBC upset" rumours flying about, is a nice show of support either way.)

Spannerintheworks

TheSparrow wrote:
So, I know it's the not-recent past, but speculation with Tennant kicked off hard his second season. (In that case, I think it had everything to do with his breakout success in the role.) His "staying on" was usually announced as the series wrapped up.

By Matt Smith's second year the rumour mill ramped up too; This time it was, as I recall, Smith actively seeking other work in the UK and America. (Which tracks, his profile was super-high and Series 5 was seen as a success - He struck while the iron was hot....)

I think Capaldi got less speculation as he made it clear he loved the role/show as a lifelong fan and was very vocal about it. But with Whittaker....

Let's ignore the trolls who obviously just hate her for..... I don't know, reasons? I concede their CONSTANT overtures may contribute to press whispers but in her case I think it's two things independent of those:

1. She made it clear it's a "job". She came to the show with no lifelong fandom or understanding. She was an outsider. (I don't view that as a bad thing, mind.) She took the role as an actor and was vocal in how the show hadn't been a presence in her life. Some take that as "she doesn't care", I personally see it more as if something better for her comes along, it could be a practical, career based personal decision. Not necessarily a "But I love it so...." type decision which, for example, Tennant made it clear almost verbatim was a factor in leaving/staying.

2. There IS a public "perception/stigma" that the show is....not as good. I kinda resisted this as being said trolls permeating culture, and in the US (where I am) the show is not as easily viewed as it once was. (So I'll have people who haven't even SEEN it in 5+ years tell me they heard it got bad when Whittaker/Chibnall/Capaldi/Coleman/Smith/Moffat showed up. Delete 5 of those names at random each time.) Then I saw a UK tv guest tell Bradley Walsh he watched him on "Doctor Who" even though "it's not very good" to audience LAUGHTER. So yeah, I think and concede there's a general perception the show's...not well. In these cases, it's always either "BBC will clean house, including Whittaker" (Clearly not the case per press release today) or "Whittaker will jump off the sinking ship". Which, the latter I can kind of appreciate. If the show is being seen as "bad", why would she stay?

Disclaimer: I'm not crazy about this era, but this show has bounced back many, MANY times. And Whittaker is not the problem currently, imo. That said, I still don't see her name in the Series 14 credits....but on her terms/choice, amicably.
Last edited by Spannerintheworks on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

This team leaving at the end of 13 would let our old friends at the top of the BBC balance politics with practicality. Three years has been a standard run for actors, and Chibs could leave with Jodie as a final bow for the era without the Beebs looking like they were "giving in to pressure" from the trolls, but at the same time, they could trumpet whatever new team comes in as "a breath of fresh air."

Everyone saves face. The band plays on.