The Inevitable Missing Episode Discussion

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

The Inevitable Missing Episode Discussion

Post by skifflebits »

So... Do you think this is real?

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... M_K04NZi3w

Prevailing sentiment is that this is a misreporting of an old rumor... But has anyone heard anything else?

Spannerintheworks

Re: The Inevitable Missing Episode Discussion

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:48 pm
So... Do you think this is real?

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... M_K04NZi3w

Prevailing sentiment is that this is a misreporting of an old rumor... But has anyone heard anything else?
Actually, this has legs. Paul Vanezis (sp?) also outright stated that there are absolutely missing episodes in collector hands. But whether they get forked over and released to the public is entirely another matter.

This has been a discussion in fandom for about half a year that I'm aware of; But I think it's equally hard to prove or disprove.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

It’d be nice, but I doubt it’s too likely.

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

Well we know nearly all missing episodes were seen in their cans (but not opened so no one knew what condition they were) at some stage and quite a lot in a basement which was flattened by a bomb or somesuch. So it stands to reason that they could exist. I agree its unlikely there are lots, but if these are linked to the finding of Enemy and Web then why not.
I may be wrong, but were there some never sold abroad which are lost forever?

Also we never discuss here because its not Who but other programmes are turning up all the time.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Apparently Phil Morris has said the article isn't true.

Which does beg the question of just WTF he's been doing for the past seven years.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Which does beg the question of just WTF he's been doing for the past seven years.
Joining in with the NMD gang?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

it's a shame that the people that find the most doctor who episodes are invariably the worst people, like you want to be really on their team telling them hey, good job, but they make it just impossible to like them, Phil Morris in the last year or so has made Levine look like a reasonable person.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Agreed.

And that's on top of the fact that he's been hinting at a big find of lost episodes for literally YEARS now and can't produce a single one.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 pm

EDIT: the main article clarified that Morris objected to details but didn't outright deny the circumstances. Just immediately made them vague. It's at the top of the article link.

Any complete denial would be surreal, as Morris LITERALLY HELD "The Web of Fear" ep 3 in his hands before it buggered off. Unless he has an arch nemesis actively destroying episodes before he reaches them (other than the BBC, lol) then that kinda gives a first hand example of a privately held episode that he knows exists.

I pop on the Missing Episodes proboards, and there are some pretty credible sources claiming some episodes simply are out of reach due to private collectors. Yeah, it's tough to verify. But it's frustrating people can't be more forthcoming after so much time since Morris' "stay tuned" type comments in 2013 and every year after.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Yeah, it seems Morris has kind of shot any credibility he earned with his 2013 haul after years of insinuating "something big is coming" with nothing to show for it.

I have no doubt that some episodes exist in the hands of private collectors, but I can't understand why not a single one has been restored to the BBC vaults after seven stinkin' years.