The Inevitable Missing Episode Discussion

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
DalekCheese

Re: The Inevitable Missing Episode Discussion

Post by DalekCheese »

SJF wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:46 am
Tbf, The Space Pirates is one of those ones that isn’t supposed to be likely to be found is it? So if they found it, it’d be great even if it is rubbish.

Annoyingly Marco Polo and the rest of The Crusade should theoretically be out there somewhere but they just don’t want to be found.
How do we know/ can guess where specific serials are?

SJF

Post by SJF »

DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:28 pm
SJF wrote:
Tbf, The Space Pirates is one of those ones that isn’t supposed to be likely to be found is it? So if they found it, it’d be great even if it is rubbish.

Annoyingly Marco Polo and the rest of The Crusade should theoretically be out there somewhere but they just don’t want to be found.
Basically based on how much they were distributed. Like Seasons 1 and 2 were exported to a lot of countries whereas later seasons, particularly Troughton ones weren’t as much. Funny thing is though, I think more Troughton stories have actually been found in other countries. But that’s more likely because most of Seasons 1 and 2 were found in the UK.

So theoretically Marco Polo should be out there somehow but it just doesn’t seem to want to be found. Hopefully it does still exist. The Feast of Steven on the other hand is probably never going to be found as it never left the UK.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

SJF wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:28 pm
SJF wrote:

Basically based on how much they were distributed. Like Seasons 1 and 2 were exported to a lot of countries whereas later seasons, particularly Troughton ones weren’t as much. Funny thing is though, I think more Troughton stories have actually been found in other countries. But that’s more likely because most of Seasons 1 and 2 were found in the UK.

So theoretically Marco Polo should be out there somehow but it just doesn’t seem to want to be found. Hopefully it does still exist. The Feast of Steven on the other hand is probably never going to be found as it never left the UK.
Oh, right. I’d never really thought of that.

The Feast of Steven on the other hand is probably never going to be found as it never left the UK.
WHAT?! NOOOOOOO!

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

Not a merry Christmas to all at home then :cry: :cry:

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

It would be the single most based Christmas present ever to exist, though.
Damn you Philip Morris!

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

I was wondering about the Feast of Steven recently. If they ever did animate Masterplan, would people be upset if they didn't do Feast of Steven? I know the answer tbh, yes they would, people near rioted because of the Tumble Machine being cut in Macra... But Feast of Steven doesn't add a whole lot to the story other than a load of one of characters and settings that would bump up the cost of animation..

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Yeah, they had this same discussion on GB.

Someone pointed out that there is ONE small plot point that gets dealt with in "Feast of Steven," though I've now forgotten what it was.

Since the whole thing would be such a monster production anyway, it may come down to how big is the annual budget. If BBCA is still paying for part of it, that's still 25 minutes of programming they can air and get ad revenue for.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I really hope they do DMP eventually. Even if it’s split over like three years or something to make it easier on the budget.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

SJF wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm

It's not just that it never left the uk, unlike all the other episodes there was never a copy made before the master tape got wiped. The general practice was to make a copy onto film for oversees distribution, that's what we're finding when we find a missing episode, but no copies were ever made of that episode, so barring some miraculous twist in the story we will pretty much 100% never see that one.

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

Isn't that the same for Mission to the Unknown.

I know there's a few stories they're almost certain are lost forever but I cant remember which.