Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Bundesrat

Re: Recommend Some Non-TV Doctor Who

Post by Bundesrat »

SJF wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Bundesrat wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm
Big fan of the Marion Conspiracy - some of the early releases are really good, and I think they are heavily discounted as a download.
The Marian Conspiracy is like my favourite BF audio. It’s not necessarily the pinnacle of what they have to offer, but it’s still my favourite and I love it.
I’m the same - will happily return to it over and over and every listen is as good as the first. It is one of those that you can vividly picture every scene.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Haven't seen anyone do this yet:

.....Care for some non-fiction recommendations?

*First, the About Time book series. Lawrence Miles and Tat Wood basically delve into....well, just about EVERYTHING you'd want to know about the Classic Series. Plot summaries? Sure. Inventory and wardrobe minutiae? Yes. But then there's production trivia, behind the scenes info, essays on other media and cultural influences that informed the stories, and - my favourite - Periodic Articles that ask the questions we all do. (Standouts include "What do Daleks Eat?", "Why do Time Lords always meet in Sequence?", "Where was Torchwood this Whole Time?" and "What Are the Worst Accents in the Show?". Spoilers, "Claws of Axos" has two entries on the latter.)

These books are great fun and lavish attention on every episode and era. They're divided by Doctor's era, mostly - Hartnell pops in to start Book 2 for obvious reasons, and Book 5 & 6 are the John Nathan-Turner years, which also makes a LOT of sense if you're familiar with that name. TV movie rounds out Book 6, and Hey! Even the Cushing films get chapters.

I'm aware this series has now crossed into the New Series, which....that'll be fun, based on their flippant winks at the Davies era throughout.

*Josh Snares' YouTube channel. This guy loves, LOVES Doctor Who. And while some of his content is less....traditional humour (But seriously, his chart ranking every companion ever is something I'm sure we've all also done in our heads), his documentaries on missing episodes, production of 60s episodes, and other oddities ("Dimensions in Time", "The Dark Dimension", and Video game attempts all get a documentary) are of a caliber equal to or greater than we expect from the DVD or BluRay releases. The BBC pulled him in to do a documentary of the Live Recreation of "Mission to the Unknown", and deservedly so. If you watch nothing else, his "Missing Episodes" documentaries are cobbled into one big bingeworthy video - Watch that one, it's totally worth it.

*Broke Canon. Part of DAVIS' YouTube channel, these are <10 minute videos that break down the....REALLY convoluted canon that Doctor Who has amassed over multiple mediums. Wanna know who created cats? (Spoiler: Time Lords.) Wanna know what happened to the Borad? Care to try and figure out what happened to Kelsey from SJA? Adam Mitchell? Dodo?

On lighter notes, wanna hear about the band the Master and the Doctor had on Gallifrey? Or when the 11th Doctor met....Matt Smith? How technically the first person to write the 13th Doctor was....RTD?

Yeah, these are fun. Check 'em out.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

There’s a YT channel called Dimmeh Looming, some of which is absolutely great.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Speaking of youtube... If you haven't checked out the fan-made "Doctor Who Anime," you should. As far as I know, it's the work of one person, and that makes it all the more impressive.

https://youtu.be/kt3qZYUPi2Y

(My only complaint is the background music is mostly the theme played over and over again.)

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Speaking of youtube... If you haven't checked out the fan-made "Doctor Who Anime," you should. As far as I know, it's the work of one person, and that makes it all the more impressive.

https://youtu.be/kt3qZYUPi2Y

(My only complaint is the background music is mostly the theme played over and over again.)
Yeah, this is pretty great. I love it when friends discover it. And Pertwee was the perfect Doctor to pick; nicely fitting the "Elder character who can still clean up in a fight" anime trope.

I kinda feel like they intended a full film, and either 1. Realized the nightmare of sourcing usable dialogue and possible legal ramifications or 2. Just got bored and did the fun parts they really wanted to see. It's a shame, as outside of Sutekh (!) showing up, they actually seem to have all the other disparate elements (Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, 2 Masters, UNIT, Japan and a Sontaran squadron) prepared to make sense to a plot.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I love the crazy stuff that the EU comes up with.

Captain Jack being madly in love with River Song and her almost returning the feelings
Kelsey Hooper joining Faction Paradox
Liz Shaw marrying Louise Jameson
Just Iris Wildthyme
Sara Kingdom turning into a house
A Torchwood operative whose genitals turn into a lift
One incompetent Time Lord that isn’t the Doctor basically starting the Time War in an attempt to prevent it
Davros and Mel being bezzie mates
The Sixth Doctor in drag
The Seventh Doctor having an actual Nazi as his companion
One of the Seventh Doctor’s companions literally being Death’s grandad

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm

The Sixth Doctor in drag
I am pretty sure that had 6 stuck around as long as he intended (At least 8 seasons, per interview) we would have gotten this in the series proper.

And then people would've wanted a figure of it. :lol:

Also, almost everything you mentioned above that I hadn't read or seen for myself I was aware of due to the "Broke Canon" youtube series I mentioned previous. Again, worth it.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wait... What?
SJF wrote:
Faction Paradox is still a thing without Lawrence Miles?
The fictional character married the real actress??
Citation needed!
...don't want to know.
Does she get a chair??
Wow. That one actually sounds appealing.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:31 pm
Wait... What?
SJF wrote:
Faction Paradox is still a thing without Lawrence Miles?
The fictional character married the real actress??
Citation needed!
...don't want to know.
Does she get a chair??
Wow. That one actually sounds appealing.
Oh yeah, there’s far more Faction Paradox without Miles than with him at this point.

Wel Liz actually marries a woman called Patricia Haggard who’s played by Louise Jameson (but then she got recast)

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/do ... truths-469

Orr from the new Torchwood audios is a “sexual psychomorph” and shapeshifts into the sexual desires of those around them. And in one episode they encountered a sentient hotel...

Unfortunately no but she does get to meet some Mechonoids.

Eh it’s not that great. He just sleeps around and manages to get the Timewyrm pregnant. And then when that child grows up and is apparently the mother of Death, Time and Pain. Chris Cwej just can’t keep it in his pants tbh.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Ha! Fascinating.

And here I was hoping Liz Shaw actually married actress Louise Jameson in the fictional universe.