Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
TARDIS23

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by TARDIS23 »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:12 pm
TARDIS23 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:22 pm

Biggest piece of nonsense was the Grace thing at the end though. What was that meant to be? Them both hallucinating at the same time or some sort of ghost? I was expecting it to be a projection from the Doctor or something but no.
That was awful. It was very clear that Sharon D Clarke wasn't available to stand on a hill for one shot, and who can blame her, she's amazing, I imagine she's booked and busy and Who has wasted her. But in an ideal world, I'd have had her ghost stood on the hill watching them the way Thirteen watched Ryan in TWWFTE and then just faded away. Just giving the suggestion that Ryan and Graham both know Grace is watching over them.

The way it was actually done in the episode made it seem as though all the ridiculous lens flares that plague this era had been the ghost of Grace all along!
I completely agree I could perhaps get over the cinematography, but the fact the dialogue played out with them both clearly having seen her and being aware the other was seeing the same thing just took it to a new level of ridiculousness.

As you say having her watching them and either not being noticed by Graham or Ryan or with no dialogue and just a glance towards her would have been much better. The way it was staged with her just there straight in front of them and them both just staring straight at her ruined what could have actually been a nice ending.

Bit of conjecture but I’ve read numerous places saying before the episode aired that this ending felt pretty final for Graham and Ryan. How is that so? Nothing happens to either of them and I think it’s Graham that says to Yaz that he’ll hopefully see her soon. The doors really clearly open for them to appear again if they want to.

Lastly how unbothered I felt about them leaving after 2 series speaks a lot about my feelings towards the show these days or the character crafting of it anyway. Comparing it to losing Martha, Donna and Bill after a season each I was way more upset. Just shows how bad of a job this version of the show has done in this regard. When 13 and Ryan were talking in the TARDIS I kept thinking you’re telling us about this friendship but we’ve never really seen much of it so I don’t believe it or care.

Edit: sorry this had become a long post of random thoughts but another thing just popped in to my head. Regarding that 13 and Ryan conversation where were Graham and Robertson supposed to be then? I know they were in the TARDIS but the way that played out it seemed like there was nobody else around and was a private conversation between the 2 characters, that console room isn’t that big and there’s no way they’d have gone of for a wander somewhere down a corridor as soon as the scene ends they walk straight out of the TARDIS like they’d all been stood together in there the whole time.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

I liked it.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

TheSparrow wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:16 pm
I liked it.
Everyone else didn’t. :P

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

I also liked it, not perfect but I enjoyed it.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:39 pm
TheSparrow wrote:
I liked it.
A lot of people didn't, a lot of people did, some are in the middle, I don't think it's helpful to assume everyone shares your viewpoint, all the people that agree with you do, sure, but not everyone.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

I liked the idea, it was just how they executed that it didn't do it for me!

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Kaldor wrote:
TheSparrow wrote:
I liked it.
A lot of people didn't, a lot of people did, some are in the middle, I don't think it's helpful to assume everyone shares your viewpoint, all the people that agree with you do, sure, but not everyone.
I’ve seen so little positive feedback, but sure...
As per usual with this era, it’s a small group of voices shouting the loudest. :roll: :lol:

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:48 pm
I liked the idea, it was just how they executed that it didn't do it for me!
This. Good summary. I agree.

Roll on Series 13. In spite of the disappointment I had with the special, I'm remembering:

*It was filmed more than a year ago, so it's not like it COULD have been an innovative improvement on Series 12.
*There are a lot of positive things that could benefit Series 13 afoot.

Be optimistic with me. (Because, sarcastic aside, after yesterday I could also use the encouragement. ;) )

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Kaldor wrote:

I’ve seen so little positive feedback, but sure...
As per usual with this era, it’s a small group of voices shouting the loudest. :roll: :lol:
I'm not trying to drown you out, if you don't like it then that's fine, I'm just saying it would be untrue to say no-one liked it. If more people here disliked it than liked it then that's fine too. I know that I enjoyed it, I know most of my friends who watch the show liked it, but I would never presume to think that's a large enough sample size to determine the overall mood, I think we tend to listen more to the views we agree with, after all.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

Sadly I have a feeling that production has probably been halted. John Bishop tested positive for Covid over the festive period, so I imagine that's effecting things?