Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Kaldor

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by Kaldor »

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:34 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Can we get back on topic instead of arguing over ROTD and who liked it and who didn't please?
Well... This is the "Series 13 Discussion thread." Just my opinion, but arguing about ROTD seems completely on topic to me.
No, don’t worry Skiffle. You’re in the right here. We’re all in the right here.
ROTD straddles Series 12 and Series 13. Same way The Runaway Bride straddles Series 2 and Series 3.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Bundesrat wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:42 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Hoping we see The Doctor going on a search for answers about her past, that's got a lot of potential and I'm excited to see where it goes.
I expect the missing/redacted portions of the matrix will be a key part of the ‘journey’. They will either be used to show things in a different context that establishes the Doctor as Gallifreyan an all along, or it will have the Doctor turn out to be someone special within her own race, she’ll send a message to them on how to reach her, and they will appear in the penultimate episode intending to conquer earth. The Doctor will then defeat them (no doubt destroying them all or banishing them to a locked off parallel universe with no ability to ever make contact), and with Gallifrey also destroyed she’ll go back to being the last of her kind.
I actually see one of two things happening:

*It won't be addressed beyond vague "I'm all alone" references; Chibnall hasn't exactly reassured me of solid character development or payoff. (Having to usher in another new companion and a reduced episode count REALLY makes me worry this could be the course we take.)

*The Doctor saves Gallifrey (because otherwise she's the one that DIDN'T, and that looks bad) and takes them to task for their deception, learning a new wrinkle that opens a new chapter for her.

The handling of this in "Revolution of the Daleks" REALLY worries me. Can we discuss her TERRIBLE underselling of the events of "The Timeless Children" to Jack? ("Sort of" apparently means "I didn't listen to a damn word you said, was utterly ineffective when confronted with some possible truths about my past, and basically let some old guy I just met solve the actual problems while I turned tail and fled - heroic, right?")

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Valeyard wrote:
Can we get back on topic instead of arguing over ROTD and who liked it and who didn't please? It's getting immature at this point and I'm sick of seeing constant division over opinions of Doctor Who. Just have a little respect for one another, there's no need for either side of the camp to say that 'everyone else didn't like it' or 'everyone loved it'. Not relevant to Series 13 when ROTD was a Series 12 special, should really be talking about it there.

That being said, I'm excited for John Bishop to join the cast. Haven't seen much of his work but that little clip makes him seem like a pretty charismatic and likeable dude already. Hoping we see The Doctor going on a search for answers about her past, that's got a lot of potential and I'm excited to see where it goes.
:lol: :lol: Where to start, eh?
So ROTD is part of a series 13, as it is part of series 12. We’re all entitled to our opinions as to who liked it and who didn’t, and as for sick of seeing constant divided opinions, maybe you ought to write to the Beeb about that, and highlight how Chibnall and Whittaker are the head of that particularly grim spot that needs to go.
Most people here do have respect for each other. Apart from you, who doesn’t want to respect that other people have opinions.

Oosh.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

So, I mean, to be diplomatic and less aggressive, any of us telling another to not be divisive does indeed ignore the fact it was the show itself and its creative team that created that division- That I do agree with.

To better understand either extreme of opinions, listening to each other - no matter our disagreement - is gonna best accomplish that end.

I mean, I at the least appreciated the "whys" of Deb and those that enjoyed it. And in isolation from Series 12's events, I probably could've embraced their reasons more myself.
Last edited by Spannerintheworks on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:30 pm
TheSparrow wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:46 pm
Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:39 pm

Everyone else didn’t. :P
Who?
(Waves)
No, I mean who asked lmao.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Opinions? Fine. Being disrespectful? Not.
Kaldor wrote:
You've got to admit this could read as disrespectful.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Doctor What wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:25 pm
Opinions? Fine. Being disrespectful? Not.
Kaldor wrote:
You've got to admit this could read as disrespectful.
Or with the happy, jokey emoji, it could read as respectful. :P :lol:
Some people want to be attacked, so they read things as if they are being attacked. It’s a thing.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Kaldor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 pm
Some people want to be attacked.
👀😬

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Anywho, I think we've got confirmation that series 13 is gonna air late this year. Was that old news or not?

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Bundesrat wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:49 pm
Was it supposed to be an affectionate homage to past ‘no-who’ episodes; the name check of Rose and Martha, the repeat of the ‘work done’ banter with Jack, the cameos in the prison, the government utilising Daleks, the determination of the inferior Daleks by the Daleks, the ‘time lord technology’ to trap the Daleks etc...?
Just remembered another throw-back - Jack hiding his breakout tools.

Was anything original in this episode?