Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
DalekCheese

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by DalekCheese »

I quite like some of Saward’s stuff.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Y'know, so did I. He made some good choices and criticized JNT in ways I agree with. I dig "The Visitation" in particular.

But.....he's also 100% involved or responsible for a lot of the writing choices made the Trial year; I just felt blaming ONLY Nathan-Turner (especially with writing/script editing decisions) wasn't fair.

Chibnall, however.... ;)

EDIT: Actually, there's a solid, relevant-to-Series-13 point here too that I believe.

Saward did some less good stuff. So did Nathan-Turner.

But they had some substantial wins too. Yeah, these guys flopped "Warriors of the Deep" and "The Twin Dilemma" our way. But they also ushered in "The Caves of Androzani". Later, Nathan-Turner helped assembled a great writing team for the McCoy era that, even though it's not my favourite, I have to admit was moving in the right direction and had phenomenal concepts. Ones I agree influence the New Series far more than the pre-1980s show.

I've been critical of Chibnall, but if the guy who defended "The Twin Dilemma" to his dying breath could course correct the McCoy era and post wins again, Chibnall can too. I'm less of the "Everything he does is awful" camp and more in the "I hope he can pull it together, the signs and circumstances could work out this time".

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Hey, at least it only took 12 years to get to "Trial of a Time Lord" instead of 23. ;)

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Hey, at least it only took 12 years to get to "Trial of a Time Lord" instead of 23. ;)
Er, progress? :lol:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:54 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Maybe it'll take less than three years after it to replace the producer.

(Though they replaced the head writer immediately, and that turned out not to be a bad thing...)

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:51 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:54 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Maybe it'll take less than three years after it to replace the producer.

(Though they replaced the head writer immediately, and that turned out not to be a bad thing...)
Honestly, if Chibnall had a Script Editor/Head Writer it may well have solved a LOT of problems to this era. 90% of his ideas aren't necessarily bad, it's their realization (or lack thereof).

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

Has anyone else mentioned that the Doctor killed that TARDIS? It's pretty well established that they're sentient creatures, right? They weren't built they were grown plus 'The Doctor's Wife' which shows the 'soul' of the TARDIS placed inside Idris.

Spannerintheworks

Neon Wolf wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm
Has anyone else mentioned that the Doctor killed that TARDIS? It's pretty well established that they're sentient creatures, right? They weren't built they were grown plus 'The Doctor's Wife' which shows the 'soul' of the TARDIS placed inside Idris.
Oof, that really does resonate....

She didn't really blink about someone else blowing themselves up or blowing up the Master (who the show has gone through pains 10 years previously to illustrate means something to the Doctor too), or all other life on Gallifrey (which has pretty disturbing ramifications that are just being glossed over) to just run away and save herself. Bluntly; Running away and saving themselves at others' expense? Maybe the Doctor has no business criticizing Jack Robertson - they both do the same cowardly thing.

It's on Chibnall in both instances, so given the frankly shocking and poor writing, I guess one more body count (er, TARDIS count) is no big thing to our resident sociopath. :P

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm
Oof, that really does resonate....

She didn't really blink about someone else blowing themselves up or blowing up the Master (who the show has gone through pains 10 years previously to illustrate means something to the Doctor too), or all other life on Gallifrey (which has pretty disturbing ramifications that are just being glossed over) to just run away and save herself. Bluntly; Running away and saving themselves at others' expense? Maybe the Doctor has no business criticizing Jack Robertson - they both do the same cowardly thing.

It's on Chibnall in both instances, so given the frankly shocking and poor writing, I guess one more body count (er, TARDIS count) is no big thing to our resident sociopath. :P
This whole era feels like a first draft on paper and a first take on camera, the amount of oversight and disregard of continuity is astonishing.

On a side note I had a chuckle watching 'Beat the Chasers' on ITV earlier as one of the questions was 'On what planet was the Doctor born' and the 'correct' answer was 'Gallifrey' which obviously got retconned last season.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:15 pm
As do I. Both "Eartshock" and "Revelation of the Daleks" are brilliant classics. I do think, though, that his era as script editor was sometimes less than stellar. Sometimes for reasons that were more down to JNT than anything else.