Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
RoseyT

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by RoseyT »

SPOILERS IN WHITE

So apparently The Sontaran story is called "The Sontaran Trauma" and follows a Sontaran who deserts the 14th Battle Fleet due to a PSTD-like condition. It also seems The Rutans are going to make an appearance and the Sontaran/Rutan war will be seen on screen for the first time.

Take those with a pinch of salt as I've read them on Facebook but they seem to come from a leak regarding the ep.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

RoseyT wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:09 pm
SPOILERS IN WHITE

So apparently The Sontaran story is called "The Sontaran Trauma" and follows a Sontaran who deserts the 14th Battle Fleet due to a PSTD-like condition. It also seems The Rutans are going to make an appearance and the Sontaran/Rutan war will be seen on screen for the first time.

Take those with a pinch of salt as I've read them on Facebook but they seem to come from a leak regarding the ep.
If that wasn't true I'd be slightly suprised. That sounds like a brilliant episode!!!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I will say, though, I worry that old Chibs is taking the JNT route of bringing back old monsters to keep the audience interested, not realizing it's really onlt interesting to the hardcore audience, and nobody else will care if you don't back it up with good storytelling.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

RoseyT wrote:
SPOILERS IN WHITE

A few of my own thoughts.

1. This sounds so much like something the anti-Chins crowd might invent to complain about the show being too "woke" that I have to take it with a grain of salt.

2. This could be a good episode in the right hands. Whether Chibs has the right hands remains to be seen.

3. As much as I like the theme, I do kind of miss the idea of aliens being genuinely alien in that they don't have the same troubles humans have. It kind of makes them more interesting. I get that this makes the Sontarans more "relatable," but I'm not sure I need to "relate" to Sontarans. I'd rather be scared of them.

4. Rutans! Cool!! :)

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

I always thought a good idea for a sontaran story would involve strax choosing between his people and his new family

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm
RoseyT wrote:
SPOILERS IN WHITE

1. This sounds so much like something the anti-Chins crowd might invent to complain about the show being too "woke" that I have to take it with a grain of salt.

2. This could be a good episode in the right hands. Whether Chibs has the right hands remains to be seen.

3. As much as I like the theme, I do kind of miss the idea of aliens being genuinely alien in that they don't have the same troubles humans have. It kind of makes them more interesting. I get that this makes the Sontarans more "relatable," but I'm not sure I need to "relate" to Sontarans. I'd rather be scared of them.

Apparently the leak directly showed the PTSD stuff and also gave us name's for the focused on Sontaran and its commander. I think my issue is I'd love PTSD or trauma to be explored but from The Doctor's perspective or a companion I don't think it works on the Sontarans.

However, the Sontar-Rutan war I'm so hyped for as well

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

RoseyT wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm
RoseyT wrote:
SPOILERS IN WHITE

Apparently the leak directly showed the PTSD stuff and also gave us name's for the focused on Sontaran and its commander. I think my issue is I'd love PTSD or trauma to be explored but from The Doctor's perspective or a companion I don't think it works on the Sontarans.

However, the Sontar-Rutan war I'm so hyped for as well
I have to say I agree overall with this seeming like anger/outrage bait. (LoOk WhAt ThOsE sJwS dId NoW!) A PTSD theme certainly could work in the show's format, but I agree, trying to force it on the Sontarans is not really understanding their race/history. (In fairness, I thought the same of Strax: If they had a clone that was less reliable/"defective", would not their DISPOSAL be a dispassionate military race's response?) And seriously, there are far FAR more suitable races to enact a PTSD survivor plot with that would only complement established lore. (Off the top of my head: The Thals. The Judoon. The Draconians.)

Also, bit of a red flag: Weren't the Sontarans also in the Crimean War filming? It seems a little crowded to do Sontaran reintroduction, Crimea, PTSD, AND Rutan conflict in one 45-55 minute episode.

But then, this era is all about overcrowded episodes with questionable pacing, so as much as it seems to me to be unlikely I wouldn't be shocked by a trainwreck narrative either.

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

Definitely taking that one with a pinch of salt. The title sounds very made up and basic, hopefully if this is the story they change that.
Also doesn’t sit right with me if they are exploring PTSD through a warlike race instead of a human or more human-like character. A common misconception about PTSD is that it only arises from severely traumatic experiences such as war, whereas it can happen to anyone often from terrible things that can happen in random civilian life. Something I found out when I was diagnosed with it last year. So I’d like to have seen that misconception addressed instead of fed in to ideally.

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

I mean most Chibnall titles are incredible on the nose (Early classic style almost) so I really wouldn't be surprised regarding that.

I think if Doctor Who is going to explore it then they'll probably attempt to go for classic style PTSD (As they did with say Dyspraxia). As I said I'd love to see it be a companion even. We get to watch them struggle and The Doctor question their role in their PTSD forming which would make far more sense than a clone race who have a war mentality built into them.

I also hope they don't portray it in the way that Sia recently portrayed Autism in that dreadful film of hers. I dont think I've ever been so insulted.

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

RoseyT wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 am
I mean most Chibnall titles are incredible on the nose (Early classic style almost) so I really wouldn't be surprised regarding that.

I think if Doctor Who is going to explore it then they'll probably attempt to go for classic style PTSD (As they did with say Dyspraxia). As I said I'd love to see it be a companion even. We get to watch them struggle and The Doctor question their role in their PTSD forming which would make far more sense than a clone race who have a war mentality built into them.

I also hope they don't portray it in the way that Sia recently portrayed Autism in that dreadful film of hers. I dont think I've ever been so insulted.
I agree completely, would be interesting if a companion went through something that had a lasting impact like that, it would make a lot of sense with the amount of death and destruction that comes with travelling with the Doctor. Would also be great character development for the Doctor to perhaps be more distant and against people wanting to travel with them.
And yeah I think I’d feel similarly insulted if the proxy for PTSD is a warlike potato man.