Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Spannerintheworks

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Doctor What wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 am
Bundesrat wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 am
There were recent rumours her agent was desperate for her to quit due to the potential damage staying on could do her career.

The sheer numbers of papers reporting it makes me think there is more to it than just a reporter making up some filler.

The problem with something like this is that when it becomes so widely reported, the fans react (in many cases positively), her agent gets calls about new roles etc.. it starts to be taken out of Jodie’s hands.
Pretty sure the source of that rumour was one of those less than trustworthy youtubers so not sure that particular one is to be believed.
Said youtuber posted said video AFTER the headline, though.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Spannerintheworks

Doctor What wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm
Was referring to this one:

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/jodie-wh ... octor-who/
Ah, ok. Nope, totally different videos and instances; Gotcha.

That said, some of the usual naysayer youtubers jumped on the current rumour quick!

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Given that pretty much every UK paper (in print and on twitter) is covering this, the longer we go without a denial the more credible and likely the report is. If there was no intention to quit/‘let go’ then you would have expected something to have been said by now.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

In recent years the tabloids have gotten a lot right. Female doctor, young davros, John Simm returning, the master last year. I’m saying this is true

SJF

Post by SJF »

Whovastron wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:43 pm
In recent years the tabloids have gotten a lot right. Female doctor, young davros, John Simm returning, the master last year. I’m saying this is true
The mirror leaked the whole Timeless Child plot too.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

There was someone on GB who leaked the reveals of Fugitive and The Timeless Children

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

On the subject of Jodie going, I'll be really disappointed if it's true. I really do think she is great and just has been absolutely underserved by her production team. I'd rather see Chibnall go rather than her. I think she's got a lot more to give but if she's decided her time is up, that's her choice! I was definitely hoping we'd get some specials or at least one more series with her beyond S13 with the cut episode count because of Covid.

On one hand, I do have a bad feeling about this because the Mirror has had a very good record with leaks over the past few years. It's a shame it had to be announced this way. I know a certain person on YouTube is claiming to be the source of the leak but that prick has been predicted her leaving ever since she was cast, and I have a feeling he's probably taking ownership of being the leak here because it's the first time the rumours have been given any actual credibility by making their way into the mainstream press.

On the other hand, the introduction of John Bishop makes me more wary. It seems odd to introduce someone so late in the game for such a short span when you have an existing companion, but then again, Chibnall loves to overstuff his cast so I doubt that would stop him, and I also have a feeling that the decision to include another male companion came from an executive who wanted there to be both female and male rep on the lead roster.

Either way, what'll be will be! I just wish the BBC would confirm or deny. If she's going, it's obviously not the way it was supposed to be announced so that's a real shame for her, and I'm gutted we didn't get more of her. I'd hope for them to pull their fingers out and give her an absolutely stellar run of stories to go out on but I have zero faith that this production team would deliver that, which is pretty crap.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

It's The Curse of the Blond Doctors. Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and now Jodie Whittaker. To be saddled with a production and writing team that can't live up to their potential.

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:35 pm
It's The Curse of the Blond Doctors. Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and now Jodie Whittaker. To be saddled with a production and writing team that can't live up to their potential.
This is pretty on point, especially equating Chibnall to John Nathan-Turner/Eric Saward.

And bonus weirdness for the former actually having criticized the latter personally, especially when you can draw parallels between the Trial/Timeless executions.

(Briefly: unseen Doctor incarnation is the massive twist, the Master has the information that unlocks the identity, the Time Lords have a huge role in theory but not execution, the Doctor is left with less action but WAY more exposition, the Matrix plays a substantial role in the Doctor wresting control, central villain appears to perish (but probably didn't, with no clear escape obvious), Time Lords hid massive secrets with clandestine motives, side excursion into a future earth that isn't revealed to be earth right away, side excursion where alien threat is reacting against humans on holiday, Doctor is left morally condemning/questioning Time Lords due to covert actions involved.)

So what wasn't ripped from the Davies era...was straight from the era Chibnall is literally on record saying could be done better to that era's writers/production team. Which....um....

Points for follow through, I guess?