Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
DalekCheese

Re: Series 13 Discussion thread (SPOILERS!!)

Post by DalekCheese »

The Sontaran leak reeks of bait. Not just PTSD Sontarans, but trans ones, too!

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

I'm just waiting for a story with Sontar-hun

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:17 pm
The Sontaran leak reeks of bait. Not just PTSD Sontarans, but trans ones, too!
Now that you put it that way...

What is with the bait-brigade, anyway?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I hadn't heard anything about trans sontarans, what would that even mean? they're a genderless race

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

Its apparently more all Sontarans are Non-Binary. I wanna point out the only person I've seen mention that was NoelZone who along with Rabbi is potentially the worst part of the fandom. I would take that with a pinch of salt that you could throw in his eyes.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

Noel Zone was the same person who said Ace Creeper the youtuber was gonna be the next showrunner, so I wouldn't believe any of the bollocks that comes out of his mouth

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

The original Reddit post that supposedly is the basis of the leak about Davros and Rassilon. This has been shared around TARDISposting discussion group so take it with a grain of salt. Will be white if you want to avoid potential spoilers.

“I know you have no reason to believe me over any other leaker but I have trusted sources close to the production who tell a very different story than what has recently been relayed in this subreddit and I would just like to clarify a few things. Take it with a grain of salt if you must but I have complete faith in my sources.

This is what I know...

Contrary to recent reports, Chris Chibnall will in fact be stepping down after Series 13. When this is confirmed, certain folks will no doubt spin it as a firing but this has always been the plan. Chris signed on to tell a specific story across three series and that story will reach its natural conclusion at the end of Series 13.

I can see how the China deal might have caused some confusion but Chris signed on for five years, *not* five series, with an understanding that he would help the BBC find a suitable successor. And found him he has! Chris officially made the offer to Pete McTighe early last year. The announcement of his appointment is currently due to be made in the spring, around the time that McTighe's new BBC drama *The Pact* airs.
Like his predecessors, the new showrunner made it clear to the incumbent Doctor that he would like her to stay on for a series but, like David and Peter, Jodie has decided to leave with her showrunner and give the new production team a clean slate. However, Pete has made it clear that he would like her to return for the 60th anniversary, which he pitched to the BBC alongside his plans for Series 14, to which Jodie expressed interest in returning should she be available when the special, which I must again stress is still in the very early stages of development, finally goes into production. I hear that Pete's plans for the episode are very ambitious, with him planning on making offers to all of the NuWho Doctors, although he doubts that all five of them will accept. Nevertheless, it has been sold to BBC execs as *The Five Doctors* to *The Day of the Doctor*'s *The Three Doctors*.

Now for some story details on Series 13...
The opener is a two part story, taking place in two different time frames like *Spyfall*, with the Sontaran plot spanning present day Liverpool and the Crimean War.

There are three guest writers this series, with Ed Hime, Maxine Alderton and Pete McTighe all contributing scripts. The rest (the two part premiere, the two part finale and the subsequent festive special) are of course written by Chibnall.

The two part finale wraps up the Timeless Child arc and sees the departure of Yaz, with Dan staying on an episode longer before exiting with Jodie in the festive special. As is tradition at this point, Chibnall is keen to bring back "the first face(s) this face saw" in the form of a brief Ryan and Graham cameo as they bid farewell to the Doc but this all depends on scheduling.

The series finale is intended to be epic in scope and scale, bringing back the CyberMasters and Sacha Dhawan's Master, as well as Captain Jack and the Fugitive Doctor, in a story that leans heavily on Gallifreyan lore. Rassilon and Tecteun will play into proceedings, as will the Division, with viewers finally being given answers to many of their burning questions, although anyone who hopes to find out what lies beyond the boundary will end up disappointed. Chibnall has no desire to explain the Doctor's origins. In fact, the mission statement of his era was to recontextualise the mystery surrounding the Doctor, never to diminish it. This is part of the reason why he was hired in the first place.

With all of the heavy lore stuff out of the way, the festive special is intended to be a more personal and introspective tale. This episode will complete Chibnall's Dalek trilogy, with Jodie coming face to face with Davros, played by Julian Bleach. Parallels will be drawn between the Doctor and her archenemy, both having birthed mighty warrior races from their own cells. Jack Robertson will also return one final time in another antagonistic yet comical role.

Regarding the casting of the Fourteenth Doctor, auditions are quietly underway, with the BBC primarily eyeing BAME actors for the role. They would prefer to cast another woman but are open to casting a male POC.

Series 14 is currently set to enter production early next year, with the intention to kick off the series on New Year's Day 2023. A huge marketing push will accompany the launch, with the anniversary being treated as a year long event as opposed to the one specific day when the aforementioned special airs. The BBC are also seriously considering moving the series back to Saturdays with the start of the new era but that is subject to change.
So yeah, there is everything I know. Believe it or don't. Time will tell...”

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

While a lot of this seems fanwanky, I have to say the behind the scenes stuff seems less fantastic than other rumors. The 60th (I really want to know who decided that was a big anniversary; to me that's like a "Bring back Susan" type occasion, not a multiDoctor occasion), the finale (which reeks of Davies and Moffat era tropes or outright wank - I feel like it's safe to say we won't get Davros, Rassilon, or a Timeless explanation across the board. Probably not even Cybermasters.), and the 14th casting imperatives being spelt out SCREAM fan speculation though. Blocks of salt for those.

The "5 year" Chibnall actually does jibe with what he said; Remains to be seen how that plays out though.

This is the most believable/most accurate to filming reports guess on the Sontaran episode(s) too. If it is a 2 parter, that's 25% of the series given over to that and likely introducing a new companion.

Calling it: Be less optimistic about a Timeless Child wrapup with a neat little bow. I'll wager we get Dhawan back and no one else from Series 12. (Barring a Ryan and Graham cameo, THAT I can see.)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I take everything with a pile of salt these days. Except maybe Chibs hoofing-off after series three, and Jodie wanting to exit with him for cleanliness' sake.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Y'know, let me be mostly positive with this era for a change.

Here's what I'd love to see that we could ACTUALLY get.

*13 being a dominant, driving force in stories. Being the Doctor, really. Barring some goofball mcguffin being introduced, She actually has a chance to be the force that Eccleston-Capaldi naturally assumed each story. Instead of just gaping and having to spew exposition or try to coordinate 3 people in addition to herself. More of what we saw in "Villa Diodati" is welcome and reasonable; It could happen.

*Yaz gets an arc. Seriously, if she doesn't get some kind of attention and reason to stay or leave, then I'll start to wonder if the only reason Mandip Gill stayed was because she didn't have something better for her lined up like Walsh/Cole. Introducing someone new is worrying but actually could give Yaz an "I've been round the block, we should do this" opportunity. Or, see her try to reckon what retroactively has become an opportunity: She didn't feel at home in her job as a cop, a role that should have her help people but has been under intense scrutiny globally the last year or two for many reasons. If we must have overt social commentary, there's a built in reason and discussion RIGHT THERE with Yaz.

*Easy Villain wins. Getting the Sontarans right is an example. I was never crazy about the Davies era depiction, loathed Strax, and really wanted them used as originally written. There's opportunities for stories about dispassionate military agenda or prioritization over life, and putting them in Crimea gives a perfect parallel. The Doctor doesn't need to fix the Sontarans. They're better as an antagonist/example of militarism run amuck to compare against.

Possibly unpopular opinion: Chibnall era main villain concepts have actually been rather good: The Dhawan Master. Ashad/Cyberwarriors (Cybermasters really weren't realized beyond presentation). The Recon Dalek. The problem is how they're used, written to behave in a situation, or how they're let down by elements around them (Ashad being a great example).

With the Sontarans, my hope is the return to a Classic vibe means they'll get a Classic attitude too. Easy win: They've never had their full villain potential utilized in the New series, arguably never since "The Time Warrior".

Were I in Chibnall's shoes I'd continue that route, and not try to make people think differently about, say, Davros. Who had a definitive, lauded portrayal in the New Series and will be measured against it. Bring things back where the Chibnall era portrayal can be the definitive. Like, say, the Rani. Terileptils. The Voord. But hey, credit where due, The Sontarans are probably the best example. Great first story with Linx. After that.....they show up, but I'd challenge nothing ever comes close. Real opportunity here. Get them right onscreen conceptually, that's half the win right there. And I think this era actually does well with concept.

Of course that doesn't tackle...

*The Weeping Angels. Keep the Angels basic horror. If we're gonna get a Weeping Angels story, they should keep it simple. Adding bells and whistles (worst offender being "The Angels Take Manhattan") just asks why they were involved in the first place instead of a villain who, y'know, talks for example. Luckily, based on their use in "The Lonely Assassins", it SEEMS we could get something more straight horror. Good.

And finally....

*A "Caves of Androzani" for 13. If this is goodbye, then I'd hope a shorter, 8 episode run would be focused on those stories being ALL important. (None of the "In two episodes is the story you can't miss" promo that Series 12 had.) But if we're building to a Regeneration, then for the first time since Eccleston it could actually be about something other than the Doctor. (In fairness, we could've had that with Series 10 but then we got a special.) Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi all got a final story partially focused on their reckoning with a known impending death. Eccleston, it was just another conflict that took a regenerative turn.

A reduced run makes me think and hope we could get that: A great adventure that just happens to end 13's run. And Chibnall seems to struggle more with arcs or gradual character builds but succeeds more with "events" or sudden twists, so I'm very optimistic that we get more "Caves" and less "Time of the Doctor".