Plot Hole Discussion Thread

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
RoseyT

Re: Plot Hole Discussion Thread

Post by RoseyT »

HADS wouldn't stop it existing within reality though?

And the "its the contents that'd get sucked in rather than the vessel" theory doesn't work since the Genesis Ark was sucked in.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wait... Are we saying RTD threw rigorous thinking out the window for the sake of the drama??

SURELY NOT!

:)

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:54 pm
Wait... Are we saying RTD threw rigorous thinking out the window for the sake of the drama??

SURELY NOT!

You leave my main man alone you meanie.

(Pretends the last 20 minutes of Journey's End never happened)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

RoseyT wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:28 pm
skifflebits wrote:

SURELY NOT!

I'll leave Journey's End alone, no problem. Of all RTD's 10-era wrap ups, it at least is SOMEWHAT plausible based on prior lore/established rules. Questionable and overly dramatic, yes. But it's nothing we haven't alluded to or done prior.

I'd go after "End of Time" or "The Last of the Time Lords" before that. :lol: 8-)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm
RoseyT wrote:
skifflebits wrote:

SURELY NOT!

I'll leave Journey's End alone, no problem. Of all RTD's 10-era wrap ups, it at least is SOMEWHAT plausible based on prior lore/established rules. Questionable and overly dramatic, yes. But it's nothing we haven't alluded to or done prior.

I'd go after "End of Time" or "The Last of the Time Lords" before that. :lol: 8-)
Shall we start the list? :lol:

Honestly, not to unfairly target RTD. He's responsible for a lot of great stuff. But since these days the Chibs-haters are hailing old Rusty as a solid-gold genius, it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut. :)

(Not that the folks on this thread represent the Chibs-haters.)

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Planet of the Daleks

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:10 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm
RoseyT wrote:

Shall we start the list? :lol:

Honestly, not to unfairly target RTD. He's responsible for a lot of great stuff. But since these days the Chibs-haters are hailing old Rusty as a solid-gold genius, it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut. :)

(Not that the folks on this thread represent the Chibs-haters.)
I unfortunately see a lot of correlation between "RTD/10 is the best the show can be" and the "tHe ShOw Is WoKe NoW aNd JoDiE SuX" camps; ESPECIALLY with the loudest, whiniest Youtubers. (Who also seem to be unable to refer to anyone without a childish, derogatory name, which.....well, don't expect me to entertain your work as informed reporting/criticism with that route.)

I'm actually dreading that stance ("RTD/10 iz bezt") becoming so sacrosanct that it merits closer examination because the era is a dumpster fire of questionable female characterization on par with the worst of the Classic Series, and 10 himself is a severely flawed character that only gets addressed most of the time. Happily, the series is not exactly at peak popularity/scrutiny now and there's arguably a bigger, warmer Who-based fire that people direct their ire at, mostly.

That said.....

I really felt Davies, in fairness, often ran a tight ship plotwise - finales are usually his downfall with that regard. Character melodrama at a character's detriment is my bone to pick with his era. And usually those arcs dovetailed with finales as well. Which......didn't help.

Spannerintheworks

Also -
DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:41 pm
Planet of the Daleks
Where do you want to start? Terry Nation averages a plot hole a story, and he really gave few ****s for any 70s scripts Robert Holmes didn't favorably interfere with.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 pm
Also -
DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:41 pm
Planet of the Daleks
Where do you want to start? Terry Nation averages a plot hole a story, and he really gave few ****s for any 70s scripts Robert Holmes didn't favorably interfere with.
Exactly.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

If in multi-doctor stories only the most recent regeneration remembers events, how come the 11th Doctor remembered the freezing of Gallifrey given the 12th Doctor’s involvement?

In Spearhead from Space, the 3rd Doctor does not emerge from the TARDIS you saw materialise - confirmation of Season 6B?

‘Plot holes’ that did not need to be fixed:
- the need to explain why 12th Doctor looked like someone an earlier regeneration had met - er Maxil.....
- the need to explain why the TARDIS makes the noise it does - because the brakes are on
- the need to explain erratic TARDIS operation - it needs 6 people to pilot it