Plot Hole Discussion Thread

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
CaptainJimiPie

Plot Hole Discussion Thread

Post by CaptainJimiPie »

I couldn't see a thread for something along these lines so I thought I'd start one, a place to discuss, raise and possibly clear up any plot holes in the series, because tonight rewatching Arachnids In The UK I found a real doozy!

Jade, the scientist studying the spiders, says that there have been reports of unusual spider activity for 3 months, BUT at the start of the episode The Doctor says Yaz, Graham & Ryan have only been gone for 30 minutes....so how come no one noticed giant spiders or an abundance of cobwebs before then?

Graham finds one (or atleast it's sheddings) in his attic, so firstly you think between him, Grace & Ryan living there, they'd have noticed something!

But secondly and more importantly Ryan's room IS the attic, because if you look at his Vlogs from episode 1 it's a slanted room and then in Arachnids, there's an unmade bed, football, washing basket, shoes, rugs, vinyls, a mirror on the wall and even comics on the floor...that's definitely a bedroom.

So the Spiders MUST have been around during episode 1, and this is furthered by Ryan saying Yaz lives close enough for him to see her tower block from his window, which is less than a few miles away.

And Yaz's neighbour who has been killed by the spiders is said to have been missing for a few days by that point. So if it's only been 30 minutes she MUST have been missing before during the events of episode 1 meaning the spiders MUST have been around...

So why didn't anyone notice them before?

GALLIFREY STANDS!

The Outcast

Re: Plot Hole Discussion Thread

Post by The Outcast »

I enjoy headcanoning over plot holes, so I'm going to attempt to explain this (and potentially others found here). So:

Firstly, there's the line. You know the one, from Remembrance. "Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched by only its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself".

But only really covers the broader public and why they didn't notice, it doesn't really explain the companions stuff, so putting that aside, there's a timeskip between the main events of the plot of Woman Who Fell to Earth and when the "Fam" get teleported at the end. Potentially the Doctor was too busy setting up the teleport to notice the Spiders, and the others were distracted with the funeral. As for the whole issue with the house, and there being a Spider in Ryan's room, we know Graham doesn't like to go home, and him going home in arachnids is a big emotional moment, like the first time he's been home since the incident. So perhaps he and Ryan had been staying elsewhere for the funeral, and neither had been home since Grace's death. Or maybe the Spider got in during the 30 or so minutes they were gone?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

CaptainJimiPie wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 pm
I couldn't see a thread for something along these lines so I thought I'd start one, a place to discuss, raise and possibly clear up any plot holes in the series, because tonight rewatching Arachnids In The UK I found a real doozy!

Jade, the scientist studying the spiders, says that there have been reports of unusual spider activity for 3 months, BUT at the start of the episode The Doctor says Yaz, Graham & Ryan have only been gone for 30 minutes....so how come no one noticed giant spiders or an abundance of cobwebs before then?

Graham finds one (or atleast it's sheddings) in his attic, so firstly you think between him, Grace & Ryan living there, they'd have noticed something!

But secondly and more importantly Ryan's room IS the attic, because if you look at his Vlogs from episode 1 it's a slanted room and then in Arachnids, there's an unmade bed, football, washing basket, shoes, rugs, vinyls, a mirror on the wall and even comics on the floor...that's definitely a bedroom.

So the Spiders MUST have been around during episode 1, and this is furthered by Ryan saying Yaz lives close enough for him to see her tower block from his window, which is less than a few miles away.

And Yaz's neighbour who has been killed by the spiders is said to have been missing for a few days by that point. So if it's only been 30 minutes she MUST have been missing before during the events of episode 1 meaning the spiders MUST have been around...

Two notes, not really relating to plot holes:
1) how did the BBC get to use youtube’s logo? They go to the trouble of using fake search engines to avoid google, one has to wonder what happened there.
2) 19 views, 13 reactions. That’s a pretty good ratio.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

DalekCheese wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:12 pm
CaptainJimiPie wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Two notes, not really relating to plot holes:
1) how did the BBC get to use youtube’s logo? They go to the trouble of using fake search engines to avoid google, one has to wonder what happened there.
2) 19 views, 13 reactions. That’s a pretty good ratio.
The downvotes on his video never cease to crack me up.

On the one hand....that's Youtube, innit?

On the other, geez, this guy opens his heart about Grace and her death, and the reaction is.... 0/10, would not recommend? HILARIOUS.

The Nitpix video review of this is hilarious too. This is 100% a YouTube dupe made by people who only understand that YouTube exists. :D :lol:

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Why are all the related videos about blogging? And do that many people use the word "blogging" anymore?

I also noticed in His Dark Materials this week we briefly saw someone using google, so I kind of wonder if the product rules around things like that have changed slightly?

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

The appropriate term for what Ryan is doing would be "vlogging" I believe

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Correctamundo. (Also, am I the only one that looked up Ryan’s video? It’s there, on YouTube.)

And that’s a nice signature, DG, I hadn’t noticed it before, not sure what’s happening with the Abzorbaloff though- what appears to be a ball gag in his mouth is confusing :?

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

Why didn't the TARDIS fall into the void during Doomsday if it was smothered in Void Stuff? Also surely at the very least One Canada Square would've had enough exposure from the leaks of the void to go in itself?

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

RoseyT wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 am
Why didn't the TARDIS fall into the void during Doomsday if it was smothered in Void Stuff? Also surely at the very least One Canada Square would've had enough exposure from the leaks of the void to go in itself?
How DOES void stuff coverage work? Example: Every Dalek released from the Ark gets sucked in - Why? They were in a Time Lord prison with dimensional tech, so in many ways they were never in contact with the void; just the exterior of their craft was. (Same goes for the Cult of Skaro.) There are work around for this, sure. But the way it works for humans and Cybermen suggests the Daleks should be entirely unaffected.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Clearly the TARDIS HADs kicked in and it fled the scene.

Also, I imagine it's being in the void, even if you're inside a ship, that gives you the particles. It doesn't make the most sense, but I think it's best just to roll with it. It's not a contradiction atleast.