Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
RoseyT

Re: Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Post by RoseyT »

It's pretty much an NFT masking itself as not an NFT.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

RoseyT wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 pm
How so? Not trying to be thick here, but I seem to have missed what the hell is going on with this.

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:10 pm
RoseyT wrote:
How so? Not trying to be thick here, but I seem to have missed what the hell is going on with this.
"Doctor Who: Worlds Apart is a free-to-play tactical card game that gives players true ownership of their in-game items."

By ownership what they mean is if you spend £500 on a piece of crap looking art you're able to trade it for a value decided by you. It's pretty much the same as NFTs but they've avoided using that word due to the controversy it garners.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

RoseyT wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:45 pm
skifflebits wrote:
RoseyT wrote:
"Doctor Who: Worlds Apart is a free-to-play tactical card game that gives players true ownership of their in-game items."

By ownership what they mean is if you spend £500 on a piece of crap looking art you're able to trade it for a value decided by you. It's pretty much the same as NFTs but they've avoided using that word due to the controversy it garners.
This is kinda creepy, and the kind of disregard for a brand you see in desperation or disgust. I've seen social media adverts and the comments on those definitely are cringe; This definitely isn't a popular choice.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Anyone know anything about this HintforBint business?
A mate tried to tell me about this author dude, had a little one around Twitter but I have Twitter for work purposes and so don’t follow a lot of the DW based accounts.

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

Kaldor wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 am
Anyone know anything about this HintforBint business?
A mate tried to tell me about this author dude, had a little one around Twitter but I have Twitter for work purposes and so don’t follow a lot of the DW based accounts.
Not a clue, just checked the hashtag on Twitter but it's very much sporadic bar like 3 years ago.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:58 am
RoseyT wrote:
skifflebits wrote:

This is kinda creepy, and the kind of disregard for a brand you see in desperation or disgust. I've seen social media adverts and the comments on those definitely are cringe; This definitely isn't a popular choice.
Is this different from a paper CCG like Magic:The Gathering where people can sell the cards they buy to other people?

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:50 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:58 am
RoseyT wrote:

Is this different from a paper CCG like Magic:The Gathering where people can sell the cards they buy to other people?
Absolutely. I mean, I'm sure there are collectors who would do otherwise, but I've never met Magic players who spent more than a regular card's worth or simply traded other cards to acquire one.

And those cards are sold and traded conventionally, not using a means of trade that is less widely used AND being evasive about it.

PLUS, if I'm not mistaken (I'm going by forum complaint and criticism of those who were interested in the game) the items were available to purchase well before the game platform was. Which I agree was a less good look too: Most games introduce microtransactions or DLC after, well, the game. They pretty much led with a cash grab.

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

I don't actually think the game platform is up yet. That's the part that really boggles me. You're paying £500 for a few pixels that you can do nothing at but look at on a screen at least with say MTG or Pokemon you own the card in the flesh. For me World's Apart is what Spanner has described, a desperate attempt at grabbing money from people.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Seriously, it's £500 just to play the damn thing????