Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Valeyard

Re: Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Post by Valeyard »

You know how we often joke about Scongo on this forum, the best villain from the 1960's that TARDISposting brought back to the minds of the public?

He was originally going to be in Worlds Apart on this card.

After everyone in TARDISposting realised that Worlds Apart was gonna be an NFT/blockchain card game where the things are practically useless and just a money making scheme for a game that had yet to be released or show any actual promise, they asked for Scongo to be removed from the card because no one in their right mind is going to support something like that.

So yeah, I hate this card game, and I despise that it's all NFT garbage. All the cards are just traced over from the episodes anyway, so what's the point in having them?

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm
Seriously, it's £500 just to play the damn thing????
No. You pay £500 if you want to waste your money on a few worthless cards in a fancy frame. The cards are still just screenshots from the show that have been traced over, so it's a waste of time anyway.
RoseyT wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:39 pm
Does anyone else feel like Worlds Apart is the point where you just can't even try to defend the actions of the BBC regarding Doctor Who?

Even the 1989 cancellation I can sort of see where they were coming from. But this, it's just beyond tacky and gross.
I'm gonna be bold and say that I can't even really blame the BBC for this. As far as I know, the BBC had nothing to do with the development of the game besides giving the developers the Doctor Who license. Considering those developers have blatantly deceived the public by not saying that the game is based around NFT cards, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't mention that to the BBC either and instead said 'look, big collector market for digital cards means big money for both of us', and since companies love money, they'd be idiots to say no.

The problem is, they didn't do their research or ask into it enough because, let's face it, the execs it was pitched to are most likely people in their 40's to 60's that haven't got a clue about technology, cards, video games etc. While the BBC is niave at best in this situation, the blame should be pinned entirely on these greedy developers who haven't even got a finished game and are instead promoting their stupid digital NFT cards that you can buy a pack of five for with an "exclusive" Gallifreyan frame for £1963 (because hahaha reference that the devs think is hilarious)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Valeyard wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:31 pm
I'm gonna be bold and say that I can't even really blame the BBC for this. As far as I know, the BBC had nothing to do with the development of the game besides giving the developers the Doctor Who license. Considering those developers have blatantly deceived the public by not saying that the game is based around NFT cards, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't mention that to the BBC either and instead said 'look, big collector market for digital cards means big money for both of us', and since companies love money, they'd be idiots to say no.
I honestly can't blame the BBC, either. I figure the pitch was something along the lines of "It's like a digital Magic: The Gathering, only you can actually sell your cards if you like the same way you can with a physical CCG." Since the development of NFTs, this sort of model seems inevitable.

And I *do* know old-school Magic players for whom buying and selling cards was a feature, not a bug. A friend of mine said he actually supported himself in college doing it.

Not my thing, mind you, but some people really got into the trade of it all.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

On a new topic, I just realized... WAS THIS THE CURATOR ALL ALONG?

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm
You're not the first to have this be your headcanon.

Even his monologue/delivery ("Yeti.....beat you!") serves the idea. :)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:28 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm
You're not the first to have this be your headcanon.

Even his monologue/delivery ("Yeti.....beat you!") serves the idea. :)
I can't believe I'm late to this headcanon party, but I am definitely going to stay.

EDIT: Interesting, too, that his outfit wouldn't be out of place on David Tennant.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

skifflebits wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:53 am
Oh I think this fits quite nicely in a number of threads! :lol:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »