Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Post by skifflebits »

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I started this little thread...

On the most recent Star Trek: Discovery -- "Terra Firma pt. 1" -- they had a character who I can only describe as an American Doctor Who.

They found him on a remote planet dressed in early 20th century clothes and a bowler hat guarding a time portal shaped like a freestanding door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrheVRk7-pI

If that's not a Time Lord with an American accent, I don't know what is.

DalekCheese

Re: Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Post by DalekCheese »

Nice topic idea! I’ve not seen much Discovery (can’t get Netflix because awful broadband), but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve watched.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I started this little thread...

On the most recent Star Trek: Discovery -- "Terra Firma pt. 1" -- they had a character who I can only describe as an American Doctor Who.

They found him on a remote planet dressed in early 20th century clothes and a bowler hat guarding a time portal shaped like a freestanding door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrheVRk7-pI

If that's not a Time Lord with an American accent, I don't know what is.

Weirdly, on a similar note:

Maybe everyone was aware of the groundwork laid to speculatively begin crossing over Doctor Who (Davies era, Tennant) and Star Trek (Enterprise was the series on air). There were conversations, but Enterprise got cancelled.

However....

There's a......very interesting episode of Enterprise in Season 2. ("Future Tense") They recover a small craft, escape-pod sized. Pilot deceased. But then they discover the craft has bio-tech for circuitry and completely unfamiliar materials. And crucially.....it's much bigger on the inside. Other alien races are aware of the craft, and attempt to obtain it. Eventually, a beacon is triggered in the craft and the pilot and craft vanish....as if the timeline had altered.

This fits into Enterprise's "temporal cold war" storyline (I don't have all day to try and explain it). The production team knew what they were doing, too: I believe there's an actual quote they tried to get "as close to a TARDIS" as copyright would allow.
Last edited by Spannerintheworks on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 am
Weirdly, on a similar note:

Maybe everyone was aware of the groundwork laid to speculatively begin crossing over Doctor Who (Davies era, Tennant) and Star Trek (Enterprise was the series on air). There were conversations, but Enterprise got cancelled.

However....

There's a......very interesting episode of Enterprise in Season 2. ("Future Tense") They recover a small craft, escape-pod sized. Pilot deceased. But then they discover the craft is a live, and has bio-tech for circuitry. And crucially.....it's much bigger on the inside. Other alien races are aware of the craft, and attempt to obtain it. Eventually, a beacon is triggered in the craft and the pilot and craft vanish....as if the timeline had altered.

This fits into Enterprise's "temporal cold war" storyline (I don't have all day to try and explain it). The production team knew what they were doing, too: I believe there's an actual quote they tried to get "as close to a TARDIS" as copyright would allow.
I do remember the talk of RTD wanting to do a Who/Trek crossover, but I never saw that episode of "Enterprise." I think I'd checked out by then. But that's kind of awesome.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I'm still a couple of episodes behind on discovery, last one I saw was the one where book's spanish brother showed up and the green lady was angry.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

I gave up it bored me

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

It said the same about you.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 am
It said the same about you.
🔥🔥🔥🔥 Savage.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Well, turns out "Carl" was SPOILER: The Guardian of Forever

So there goes my Time Lord hopes, dashed against the rocks....

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I caught up in the end, very strong 2 parter, love me some mirror universe, great stuff