Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Bundesrat

Re: Misc Doctor Who Topics That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

Post by Bundesrat »

Bundesrat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:00 pm
RTD-1 - Does it hurt to see what it has become, and if asked, would you come to the rescue?
Perhaps instead the question should be

RTD-1 - Does it please you to see what it has become, do you find as a result people look back with rose-tinted (rose-tainted?) spectacles at your time as a golden-age when really there was some spectacularly awful stuff in there too?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:10 pm
Considering that the original intent from Series 4 was the Doctor falls hopelessly and madly in love with his new companion (Not Donna, but Penny the reporter. Rewatch "Partners in Crime"), and that love is finally returned and realized (Can. You. IMAGINE. The furious Rose shippers??? :D), AND that that plan only was derailed when Catherine Tate, a bigger name, was secured as a returning regular cast member.....I'm going to say sometimes Davies just gets caught up in the audience machine. His strength and weakness was knowing what the general audience wanted (ie, reasons to love David Tennant, fan-pleasing legacy aliens, cast the audience could happily self identify or see themselves hang with) and his pursuit definitely made event TV but I'd argue it came at a cost when scrutinized.
Compare that idea to 12's way more complicated relationship with Clara. Whatever problems you may have had with Clara's character, you have to admit her relationship with Capaldi's Doctor had far more nuance than anything RTD ever brought.

Interesting that RTD seemed to only understood the Doctor/companion relationship in terms of an unrequited crush. In some ways, we're lucky he started with Eccleston, who wasn't the "handsome leading man," and we ended with Catherine Tate, who wasn't going to play an easy love interest.

And I don't want this to become a "Dunk on Rusty" thread, because I really do like a lot from his era, but I'm just so sick of everyone going on about his time being some kind of Golden Age. It only seemed that way because fans were young and Doctor Who was shiny and new again.

What's the best era of Doctor Who?

The one when you were ten years old.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:15 pm
Compare that idea to 12's way more complicated relationship with Clara. Whatever problems you may have had with Clara's character, you have to admit her relationship with Capaldi's Doctor had far more nuance than anything RTD ever brought.
Preaching to the choir with me, my man. ;) If Eccleston and Tennant weren't such winsome fellows, I probably wouldn't rewatch better than 75% of S1-4.

In the same way I kinda blame "Buffy" for the weaknesses and formula of most 2000s genre TV (because it "worked"), the Davies era kneecapped much of Who fandom to want a certain formula. Hilariously, I'd credit the viewership decline of 13 partially because it so badly of late wants to mimick that era (Doctor is 'alone', frequent earthbound trips, celebrity historicals, overpromoted arc that overshadows weekly stories) but lacks the critical populist ingredients (Doctor/companion unrequited love, David Tennant). It's like ordering your favourite sandwich and finding the meat/main ingredient absent - It's empty, and just leaves you longing for what came before. And, cynical as it is, that is EXACTLY the demand of a general public audience.

In fact, moving away from the Davies era is why we can even HAVE 13 in the first place. And in her defense, she also (especially in Series 11) in theory is a more complicated character than "Looking for companionship/love, struggling because of self"....in practice I feel we just dont see enough of that beyond "is present/concerned/saving the day".
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:15 pm
And I don't want this to become a "Dunk on Rusty" thread, because I really do like a lot from his era, but I'm just so sick of everyone going on about his time being some kind of Golden Age. It only seemed that way because fans were young and Doctor Who was shiny and new again.

What's the best era of Doctor Who?

The one when you were ten years old.
I have read that in the late 70s Graham Williams' crew was hit with calls from viewers that the "right way" to do Doctor Who was "earthbound invasions, with UNIT backing him up". Which, uh, sure....the formula so repetitive even the team responsible couldn't adhere strictly to it by year 2. So yeah, nostalgia is powerful, and backed up with a general, popular audience memory even moreso.

Like I said, some of the loudest critical voices are also the least reasonable/aware of the actual stories/content. And while we've (hopefully, apparently) few Joss Whedon-sized skeletons that would warrant wide reappraisal of the Davies era (although, I can think of one person who probably is happy he's less scrutinized) I actually hope the house of cards the Davies era's popular rep stands on doesn't get a firm credibility tap in the public eye: As far as some people are concerned that IS Doctor Who.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Only Philip Hinchcliffe IS Doctor Who!
Oh, and Barry letts.
Oh, and that one season with Douglas Adams.
Oh, and JNT's first season.
Oh, and those last two seasons with Adrew Cartmel.
And really only Hartnell's early episodes before the show went all bug-eyed-monsters with those stupid Daleks.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Doctor Who died the minute the camera panned off the policeman in An Unearthly Child, ruining what could have been a perfectly good cop show!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm
Doctor Who died the minute the camera panned off the policeman in An Unearthly Child, ruining what could have been a perfectly good cop show!
Truth.

:lol:

Spannerintheworks

DalekCheese wrote:
I'm confident said cop has had a Big Finish story, and if he hasn't he likely will. :lol:

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
I'm confident said cop has had a Big Finish story, and if he hasn't he likely will. :lol:
It is a 5 series box set - hurry, order now for a 2027 release.

Follow the comical adventures of a PC so inept at his job that no sooner has he walked away after confirming the door of a local junkyard is securely locked that it swings right open. If only he’d not confused “pull” for “push” he would have stumbled across a Police Box and changed history forever. But luckily he didn’t so sit back for some fun-packed episodes of PC Dunce of Foreman’s Yard.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
DalekCheese wrote:
There actually is one :lol:
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/do ... -work-1917

Spannerintheworks

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
DalekCheese wrote:
There actually is one :lol:
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/do ... -work-1917
Geezum Big Finish..... :lol:

Guess that check-in on the cavemen (Yes, I know there was a 50th anniversary comics story, with Ian and Barbara no less), Salamander revenge story, Nimrod (the Ghost Light one, not the audio one) spinoff, and Condo prequel are right around the corner. :D