The "Essentials by Doctor" game

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

The "Essentials by Doctor" game

Post by skifflebits »

You see these "Essential" lists all the time, right? "The Essential Classic Series Stories" "The Essential David Tennant Stories" etc.

So here's the game:

- We do INDIVIDUAL ROUNDS, starting with Hartnell and working forward.

- The LIST LENGTH is determined by one story for every season plus two. ("Full" seasons only. So Season 21 doesn't count for Colin, and Tennant's "Specials Season" doesn't count as it's own, either.) So Pertwee's list is seven stories, Smith's is five, etc. However, you do NOT need to include a story from every season.

- "ESSENTIAL" MEANS what stories you think are the best and/or best capture the essence of an era. "Essential" does NOT necessarily mean every story you'd need to watch to follow continuity. (e.g. You could list "Logopolis" without "Keeper of Traken." You could list "Partners in Crime" without "Runaway Bride." etc.) Though hey, if that's your bag, go for it.

- NEW SERIES MULTI-PART STORES count as one story. (e.g. "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances.") SEASON-LONG ARCS don't count as a single story. So no, you can't count Trial of a Time Lord, The Key to Time, or Flux as a single story.

- ALL STORIES MUST BE TV STORES. No Big Finish, novels, or comic books. (Sorry, SJF. Though we might make an exception when it comes to McGann's round.)

- DON'T POST LISTS FROM ROUNDS WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO YET. So, if we're still on Troughton, don't start posting about your four favorite Colin Baker stories. (Though you can post your list from previous rounds.)

- ROUND LENGTH will be determined, um... pretty arbitrarily. When it looks like the posting has slowed down, I'll call it.

- AT THE END OF EACH ROUND, I will tally up the stories to see which got the most votes. (And sometimes go back and add in new lists from old rounds.)

How's that sound?
Last edited by skifflebits on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Re: The "Essentials by Doctor" game

Post by skifflebits »

I suppose I should reserve a post for all of the vote tallies, huh? Well, this will end up being it.

WILLIAM HARTNELL (as of Jan 9, 2022)
- THE TIME MEDDLER - 6
- AN UNEARTHLY CHILD - 5
- THE TENTH PLANET - 4
- THE DALEKS (THE DEAD PLANET) - 3
- THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH - 3
- THE AZTECS
- THE ROMANS
- THE DALEKS MASTER PLAN
- THE KEYS OF MARINUS
- THE WEB PLANET
- THE MYTH MAKERS
- THE MASSACRE
- THE SMUGGLERS
- THE GUNFIGHTERS
Last edited by skifflebits on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

ROUND ONE: FIVE ESSENTIAL WILLIAM HARTNELL STORIES

For me... I'll be honest, this is the era I'm least familiar with since I haven't seen most of the recons.

- An Unearthly Child (and by extension all that caveman stuff)
- The Dalek Invasion of Earth (really where the Daleks got defined as the modern ruthless invaders that they are)
- The Aztecs (as a great historical, though again, I haven't seen the recon of "Marco Polo" or "The Myth Makers.")
- The Time Meddler ('Cuz it's so fun)
- The Tenth Planet (flawed, yes, but between the Cybermen and regeneration, I gotta list it.)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Ooh, I dig this.

-"An Unearthly Child" (I mean, yeah. You gotta.)
-"The Dead Planet"/"The Daleks" (The tone and atmosphere on this one is unrivaled.)
-"The Romans" (This one clinches the historical vote for me; some of it easily could be New Series with its humour and pace.)
-"The Time Meddler" (I mean, yeah, it's great and Hartnell is on a roll by this point.)
-"The Daleks' Masterplan" (There's so much variety and stakes it almost has a modern day story arc.Yes, missing. Still putting it here..)

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Neat idea, I'm game.

- An Unearthly Child (You kinda have to, otherwise nothing makes sense)
- The Keys of Marinus (The orginial TARDIS team at their best)
- The Dalek Invasion of Earth (The best classic Dalek serial)
- The Web Planet (I love how much they try to push the boat out on this)
- The Time Meddler (Historial Who at it's best)

Honourable mentions to The Aztecs and The Tenth Planet, they just miss out.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Ok, had a bit of time to think, here are my picks

An Unearthly Child (Just that one episode, it's a one part story followed by a different 3 part story and you'll never convince me otherwise)
The Daleks (changed the game and is dripping in atmosphere)
Time Meddler (I just really like it)
The Myth Makers (I know it's missing, but it's so good, I watched the Loose Canon recon a few years back and honestly I think it's the best historical)
Tenth Planet (not as strong as some others I might have picked but it sets up so much stuff that's vital to the show and honestly it's a fun one)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I wonder if we'll get many more etries on the Hartnell era. It's not usually the era that fans are most passionate about.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

I mean, in fairness to this idea - which I think is great- it's not like people clamoured on here about "Eve of the Daleks" either. And go back a couple months; New episodes saw the most activity in here beyond the B&M sets/Lurker thread. (Actually you've gotten MORE responses than a new episode did.)

Rather than pick on this era's reception/affect on fandom - which, admittedly, one arguably could - at the end of the day at this point most people know what toy releases are coming and beyond logging on to find location stock, it's a time of year where even speculation and rumour tend to run cold. The soonest we'll see new figure sets is likely summer, and even last year's big rumour (which came entirely true, ironically) seemed pretty unlikely at first.

Guess my point is - People seem to like this idea, but the forum definitely is in an off-season. Maybe "Who" fandom in general, too.

I do like how much love there is for "The Time Meddler", pretty cool.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

I'll have a go

The Daleks: First appearance of the Daleks and creates a doctor who legend
The Time Meddler: A wonderful story with great performances by William Hartnell and Peter Butterworth
The Massacre: One of the best classic stories, based around a very dark time in history with Peter Purves just being brilliant
The Smugglers: I just think it's neat...
The Tenth Planet: First appearance of the Cybermen and the end of an era
Did someone say Foamasi?

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Series 1 - An Unearthly Child (how it all began)
Series 2 - The Time Meddler (it is not just Susan and The Doctor out there)
Series 3 - The Gunfighters (a fun episode that took the show in a most unexpected direction)
Series 4 - The Tenth Planet (without regeneration would this forum even exist?)
Bonus - The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Daleks on Earth - and the Doctor’s abandonment of Susan, which is used to great effect in The Five Doctors)