Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: Big Finish

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:14 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:55 pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one who listened to it thinking Eccleston doesn't sound like Eccleston :lol:
I have to say, I *did* think Eccleston sounded like Eccleston. They'd just strung together a whole bunch of "action moments" from the story. Which is what trailers do, I suppose.
Yeah I agree. It did sound like him, but it just sounded weird because we’ve never heard Eccleston with such high energy. Like the regular lines in between sounded dead on, it’s just as you say the action-y shouty ones that seem a bit odd.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

What we need is a recording of him saying his most iconic line: "Hello, I'm the Doctor! Ayyy! What's going on round here?"

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 am
What we need is a recording of him saying his most iconic line: "Hello, I'm the Doctor! Ayyy! What's going on round here?"
We already have a recording of Eccleston saying 9's true most iconic line though: "And I hope the planet turns round and shits on you!"

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

The Outcast wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 pm
Deborah J wrote:
We already have a recording of Eccleston saying 9's true most iconic line though: "And I hope the planet turns round and shits on you!"
A classic

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:00 pm
The Outcast wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 pm
Deborah J wrote:
A classic
I'm so glad they used that clip in "Day of the Doctor." My favorite moment.

SJF

Post by SJF »

It’s now confirmed that Nine will be encountering the Cyberman in Volume 3, and will be reunited with Jon Culshaw’s Brigadier in Volume 4.

It’s also confirmed that all four volumes are set pre-Rose with the Doctor travelling alone.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:16 pm
It’s now confirmed that Nine will be encountering the Cyberman in Volume 3, and will be reunited with Jon Culshaw’s Brigadier in Volume 4.

It’s also confirmed that all four volumes are set pre-Rose with the Doctor travelling alone.
I had just read the announcement and laughed; Guess we couldn't keep 9 away from the Classics too long.

Guess the inevitable River Song meetup is only a matter of time. :roll: I give until....oh, next year.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 pm
SJF wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:16 pm

I had just read the announcement and laughed; Guess we couldn't keep 9 away from the Classics too long.

Guess the inevitable River Song meetup is only a matter of time. :roll: I give until....oh, next year.
John Dorney actually said on Twitter that he wasn’t asked to do a Cyberman story, but he actually came up with an idea and pitched it, so they weren’t originally going to have Cybermen in volume 3. As for the Brigadier episode, well it was probably a direct response to Roy Gill’s Stranded 2 Brigadier story which is amazing, so they probably decided they wanted him to write another Brig story where he gets more to do.

That being said, the crossovers probably will increase and increase. But so far at least, it’s 2/12 episodes that have returning elements, and ones that don’t mess with continuity at all so that’s not really a huge issue for me.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Oh yeah, to be clear: These don't bother me. And it IS possible for Big Finish to do stories with Classic (or New Series) elements that completely utilize great storytelling and the characters in engaging, innovative and/or emotional ways. And yes, not stretching believable onscreen continuity is an absolute plus. And yes, 5/6 of a series being free of potental fanwank inclusion is still impressive for any Doctor set.

The River stories, though...sorry not sorry. ;) I'd like to say if I see Eccleston photoshopped with her that I'd go in expecting it could be equally innovative but imo the River sets....are usually light fun at best from the ones I've heard. (If anyone can recommend differently, I'm interested! So far a couple run-ins with 8 were the only ones I genuinely came away saying "that worked, good story, no eye rolling".)

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 pm
Oh yeah, to be clear: These don't bother me. And it IS possible for Big Finish to do stories with Classic (or New Series) elements that completely utilize great storytelling and the characters in engaging, innovative and/or emotional ways. And yes, not stretching believable onscreen continuity is an absolute plus. And yes, 5/6 of a series being free of potental fanwank inclusion is still impressive for any Doctor set.

The River stories, though...sorry not sorry. ;) I'd like to say if I see Eccleston photoshopped with her that I'd go in expecting it could be equally innovative but imo the River sets....are usually light fun at best from the ones I've heard. (If anyone can recommend differently, I'm interested! So far a couple run-ins with 8 were the only ones I genuinely came away saying "that worked, good story, no eye rolling".)
Have you heard the third series with the Fifth Doctor? Because I love that series and it gives her a lot of character development.