Ooh

Doctor Gamer

Re: CULT OF SKARO

Post by Doctor Gamer »

Bump

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Oh yeah, I was going to post a list of what everything was, wasn't I? I'll get on that, I've been too caught up in village life

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Ok, welcome one and all to an exciting round of "Deborah explains everything she drew" where I will tell you what everything in the HAOL cover was meant to be and what the relevance is. Let's go!

My Jumper

One of the more prominant things in the picture, this is a real jumper I have, and I really like it, so I'm wearing it here. The whole outfit is actual stuff I have, I wore that jumper with that skirt and the cable knit tights quite a lot over the first half of the winter, before it all closed and I had nowhere to wear nice things to. The skirt is funny to me because it buttons all the way up, and if you open them all it's just a denim towel and like what would anyone need that feature for? I've also got my usual necklace on there, it's in almost every picture of me.

Photos

Some nice pictures of some beautiful people, Sarah Sutton and David Warner, I was going to include Vivian Goat but it looked too crowder with three pictures. The sarah sutton picture I chose had her signature on it, not so easy to see in the final piece but I thought that was a nice touch

Capaldi Jacket

there are a lot of jackets and coats lying around the place, this one on the peg is meant to be capaldi's red velvet one, obviously belonging to Doctor Gamer. That's not an elbow patch on the right, that's part of the lamp stand in front of it

Dan's coat

The classic Dan coat seen in many many pictures, he's not worn it in a little while, I think it's maybe being retired, but it's iconic so it had to go in there somewhere.

Deborah Dress

A lot of stuff drying on the clothes horse, staring with my purple dress seen in many early pictures. Interestingly, though, not my original dress, the very first picture, for the abzorbaloff album, I had a much darker purple dress. Not sure what happened to that one

Sparrow T-shirt

Very easy one to miss because it's barely in the picture, but this is the "THE CUL TOF SKA RO!" shirt sparrow had on for the Typo Central cover

Absorbaloff Amp

This stack of amps was seen on the cover of the abzorbaloff album, I tried to redraw it with perspective since the new image is meant to be from above, but I did a bad job, it just looks top heavy. Whoops

Assorted Pants

These are all real pants that I own. I'm not sure that I expected anyone to identify them, but that's the story there. Obviously not going to include pictures of the real pants, that would be inapropriate, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Sausage Roll Bra

I was going to do the "dan of bra-dis" bra here, but I couldn't think why it would be in the laundry, so I thought if I'm already doing my pants in with the bands washing this might as well be my bra, except I don't actually have a bra like that, it's the one I wore on the cover of "Old Time Sausage Roll"

Ties

Avon's classic bow tie, seen in many pictures, and sparrow's orange ascot from TUA, Reverse Terminus and Confusing the Polarity

Dan's shirt

Dan's old purple shirt from his classic outfit, also presumedly the one I wore on the sausage roll cover

Sparrow's Jacket

As seen in many many pictures, this is sparrows classic brown jacket

Dan's original bass

Possibly my favourite reference in the picture because it's right there but I think most people will have forgotten that on the cover of Abzorbaloff Dan was using a different bass, a sort of burnt sienna colour. It was hard to work out from that original low res drawing what it was meant to look like but I did my best to recreate it here.

Dan's main Bass

Obviously not going to include the old bass without also having a prominant appearance from Dan's more well known yellow bass

Smash Hits

A few issues of both issues of the magazine "Smash Hits" to feature TCOS on the cover

Tambourine

This was a hard one to do, I thought the tambourine had been in a lot more pictures than it really had, I was sure it had been on the Abzorbaloff cover, but no, and neither picture of it from before was in full colour, one was tinted orange, the other was tinted purple, so I had to kind of decide on a colour for it, I picked purple because it's meant to have been around since the early all-purple days

Mug

This is my mug. I've had it for over 10 years, I drink hot chocolate out of it.

Microphone

Ok, so I never realised until I'd drawn it how naughty this thing looks without the context of being held like a microphone, when I drew it way back in the abzorbaloff cover I thought it would be cute to do a simplified pink microphone, but on the floor there it looks like a... we'll say massager, let's keep it pg. I put an LED and a button on it to make it more microphony, it didn't help at all. Sorry about that one, that's my bad.

Capaldi guitar

I'm a little disappointed that no-one seemed to pick up on this one, I was quite pleased with it, it was hard to draw from that angle, since there were no reference pictures of it lying on the floor like that, but I think I did it pretty well. I assume this belongs to Doctor Gamer

Sofa

As I'm sure everyone identified, the sofa is from the first publicity picture of the new band lineup, released as a promotional still, then used on the cover of smash hits, then on the cover of "daleks or back to thals" It's pretty big and hard to miss. Also draped over it is Avon's traditional tuxedo jacket, so extra points for that

Keytar

This thing is a real hassle to draw, so I don't draw it very often, but it looks heckin' cool, so obviously it had to be included here, it's Avon's primary instrument

Cool car

I'm sure we all remember my car, we drove to Wembly in it when Dan went to Wembley, then dan set it on fire, I spent a lot of money having it restored, had to put out a solo album to cover the cost, the roof isn't black anymore, as you can see, but this is the second appearance its made since I had it fixed up, it was seen peeking over the wall outside the DWT office building on the cover of Typo Central

Drum Kit

If I'm being honest, I don't really enjoy drawing drums, they're a hassle, this is only the second image of the band to feature them, even when we've had pictures of us with instruments I always leave the drums out. These are a reasonably faithful reproduction of the drums I drew for Abzorbaloff, though, a few small alterations, our current drummer has longer arms than his predecessor, so we were able to get a few extra drums to add to the kit.

Fire

Not specific to any one thing, fire has been a recurring motif for the band ever since TDV's offices burned down and we performed a concert there

Broken Gnome

The broken gnome from Glasgow, as seen on the floor of King Tut's Wah-Wah hut in the backstage photo taken during our tour. I was a bit lazy and just traced it in from the previous drawing, it doesn't really make sense that we moved all the pieces to our studio then arranged them on the floor in the exact same positions, but it's a nice reference

Abzorbaloff amp 2

This is the Amp Sparrow was seen using on the Abzorbaloff cover, so here he is using it again, it's his amp. Again, my attempt at perspective is dreadful on this.

Other amp

This is the amp Dan rested his foot on in the sofa picture from Smash Hits and DOBTT, these are just the amps we have, if we need a picture with a portable amp we'll use one that we have, so in the studio those are the ones that are there

T5C cassette

A copy of the cassette tape release of The Five Cultists, as designed by Dan, the tape is out of it's box and someone needs to get a pencil because it's unravelled a bit, but yeah, that's what that is

Sparrow's outfit

Like me (and actually dan too for that matter) Sparrow is wearing some of his own irl clothes. I'm not showing you a picture of that either, because much like my pants, sharing pictures of real-life sparrow is not apropriate.

Sparrow's guitar

This is the most frequently drawn instrument, any picture with instruments in it, we see this guitar, it's a cool guitar, it's the actual guitar Sparrow has irl, it's just a cool guitar for a cool person, I don't know what to tell you

Beer brand beer

This is the same beer we see sparrow drinking in the Glasgow photo, he gets through a lot of it, so naturally there's a few cans lying around the studio

Dandy Annuals

And finally, I'd just recently bought two old dandy annuals on ebay when I made this picture and I was excited about them, so I put them in this picture, stacked one atop the other. 1992 is the year I was born, so that's why I got the 92 one, the 88 one is the 50th anniversary annual.

And that's it, I hope you enjoyed this tour around the cover, that is everything I included, as far as I can think. How many things did you recognise? Not all of them, hopefully! Stay tuned for more TCOS content coming very goon.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

All of these are fantastic. I'm gutted that I didn't recognize my own Typo Central shirt which I actually own on the racking 😂

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

TheSparrow wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm
All of these are fantastic. I'm gutted that I didn't recognize my own Typo Central shirt which I actually own on the racking 😂
In fairness it's tucked so far out of the way, and I didn't do as good a job on the tie-dye effect as I did first time around, it's an easy one to miss

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

There was something I noticed when scanning the cover that I wanted to comment on and in the vein of the Beetles album clues I believe I’ve worked out what the it signifies - the difficulty is it is the one area you don’t want to be seen to have been paying particular attention to......... :?

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

That was a fun rundown, gave me a some good chuckles. I'm seriously kicking myself how I didn't spot my Abzorbaloff bass, that was naughty of me. Extra fun factoid: the gnomes are a reference in a reference, at the Glasgow gig they were a reference to a moment in sitcom Citizen Smith. Don't tell Robert Lindsey we stole them...
Bundesrat wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 pm
the difficulty is it is the one area you don’t want to be seen to have been paying particular attention to......... :?
Admit it, it's my sideboards. It's ok everyone else can't stop paying them attention either, they're just so stylish. :P

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Bundesrat wrote:
There was something I noticed when scanning the cover that I wanted to comment on and in the vein of the Beetles album clues I believe I’ve worked out what the it signifies - the difficulty is it is the one area you don’t want to be seen to have been paying particular attention to......... :?
Did I forget something? Please share!

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:11 pm
Bundesrat wrote:
Did I forget something? Please share!
Re:

Whereas all other garments are draped over the rungs of the clothes horse, the rung actually passes through one leg hole and out the other of the purple/gray garment. It is unlikely the clothes horse was dismantled to achieve this, so the far more logical conclusion is that they are open at the, ahem, gusset :oops: (blushing)

Given the nature of the album, is this perhaps a clue symbolising the end is nigh for the band - i.e. ‘the bottom is falling out’ ??