skifflebits

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by skifflebits »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 pm
its definitely the latter!
Thanks, Al!

Whew! Glad that's sorted!

Next: Is cruelty a necessary component of a modern functioning civilization?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Are we still allowed to ask questions about the figures? Because I've just thought of one that I'm surprised I've never thought to ask: Is the headsculpt of the roboman based on anyone in particular? Obviously in the episode there are a fair few real human faces you could pick to base it on, but since they're all either extras or bit-players I don't know how easy it would be getting permission to use their likeness. Or is it a similar case to the Pompeii bearded roman, where it's just a random head you pulled from a drawer, as I seem to remember you said in an interview about 10 years ago. For that matter, who's head is the S5 roman?

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Hi Al, I was just wondering how you chose what figures to make for the wave 1 classic series figures and how the K1 robot was chosen as a build a figure

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - is there a possibility of the human axon figure being rereleased? I wasn’t able to pick up the FP Claws of Axos set when it was initially released unfortunately.
A – it has already been re-released I believe as a B&M set

Q - Hi Al, another question from me, I think we’ve all seen the leaked figures now before you could announce them yourself unfortunately, I was wondering if you already had a video filmed or an announcement planned?
A – Everythng is planned .. wait and see
P.S. – What leak?

Q - Existential question for the Lurk: boxers or briefs?
A – Neither – trunks!

Q - Are we still allowed to ask questions about the figures?
A – yes (ish)

Q - Is the headsculpt of the roboman based on anyone in particular? Obviously in the episode there are a fair few real human faces you could pick to base it on, but since they're all either extras or bit-players I don't know how easy it would be getting permission to use their likeness.
A – Actually for once that one was based on the character in the TV episode

Q - Or is it a similar case to the Pompeii bearded roman, where it's just a random head you pulled from a drawer,
A – its not a random head .. its actuially Edmund Barnet-Ward who sculpted many of our figures (and continues to do so) who is director of The Affable Sculpting company

Q - who's head is the S5 roman?
A – Actually that is an extremely ex good friend of mine (who turned to evil) who I now absolutely cannot stand. Friendships should be a two way relationship i always believe .. when they are not and quickly become one sided its like the event horizon of a black hole.

Q - Hi Al, I was just wondering how you chose what figures to make for the wave 1 classic series figures and how the K1 robot was chosen as a build a figure
A – basically I chose all the characters I really loved and we made them … I agree that’s a very selfish point of view but at the time it was likely to be a one time gig so I basically went for the figures i wanted to have so there is a heavy bias towards 4th Doctor stories … cough … cough
A – The K1 was chosen because its an absolutely stonking story (I don’t care if it was a 3rd Doctor story originally) and the robot costume is brilliant … in fact everything about it is brilliant …

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Thanks for such comprehensive answers, it's really interesting to know these things. I'm going to be keeping an eye out next time I watch DIOE to see if I can find that guy.

I must say, I agree about Robot, as a story, it reads so much as a pertwee story, which makes his absense all the more noticable, but I feel like that is kind of fitting in a way, and the whole thing is a lot of fun, and as you say, the robot itself is an incredible bit of design.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

I think its the guy who throws himself in the Thames .. i do remember at the time saying // make him look more 'zombified' as i assumed the Daleks would feed them little and work them till they dropped ... thus the slightly droopy eyelids as well you'll notice

al

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:38 am
I think its the guy who throws himself in the Thames .. i do remember at the time saying // make him look more 'zombified' as i assumed the Daleks would feed them little and work them till they dropped ... thus the slightly droopy eyelids as well you'll notice

al
Looking at that scene, brief though it is, I think you're probably right, the mouth shape and jaw and nose all look fairly close to this guy at the start, plus the light jacket/dark shirt

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Just as a note, the human axon definitely hasn’t been rereleased as a B&M figure :)

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Kaldor wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm
Just as a note, the human axon definitely hasn’t been rereleased as a B&M figure :)
I was trying to think if it had, I’d definitely had gotten a few if it had. Maybe this is a hint that it’s coming up as a re-release

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

omega1963 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:42 pm
Kaldor wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm
I was trying to think if it had, I’d definitely had gotten a few if it had. Maybe this is a hint that it’s coming up as a re-release
It would be very nice to get one released again! I'd love to get one myself.