B&M doctor who sets.

Koth2

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Koth2 »

I agree also. I think they are trying to provide companions for every Doctor. Not necessarily every companion.

Barnaby Bright

Post by Barnaby Bright »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm
I have to agree. I think we still have a good chance of seeing Barbara, Susan, Jamie, (maybe) Liz, Tegan, and (because easily done) Turlough.

Beyond that, no offence intended if they're your favourite, but the remaining companions are either more of a niche, less celebrated, difficult to produce without unique new parts that would offer less reuse, or all of the above.

Maybe things will change, but this isn't a fandom on top of the world like, say, Star Wars or Marvel. Nor is it at its peak within popular culture, and it's uncertain if that peak will return to the extent that would justify a companion like, say, Dodo getting a figure.

I completely understand if someone reads my list and says "But HOW can you leave Nyssa/Zoe/Frobisher/etc off?". To this I say:

*The eras we have the most complete figure companion lineups were the most popular COLOUR eras of the show, and continue to have renown.
*We know some eras sell better than others.
*Character are doing their best, but there are still limitations.

The list I gave would, in my opinion, give us the most with the least. We already have Ian, most people would consider Barbara and Susan adequately "completing" a 1st Doctor companion roster (If not arguably the most important roster of that era). We have no 2nd Doctor companions, but I think if we got Jamie most people would accept that ONE as good enough. And while you technically could claim Peri rounds out the 5th Doctor having a companion, most people would prefer someone more comprehensively from his era - Turlough would be easily produced, and of anyone else Tegan is easier to approximate than Nyssa or Adric. Again, I feel many 5 era fans would look at a display with 5, Turlough, and Tegan and feel "perfect/good enough/it's representative". (Delete according to taste)

Finally, I feel like we haven't seen the last of 70s releases. It's a popular era that Character probably sees good sales of. Liz would be a easier "new" figure. Essential? Maybe not. But if we ever see a Season 7 Pertwee, Silurian, Auton variant, or Brig variant, then I feel she's a shoo-in.

Sure, I could be wrong. We could get Mel and Adric this year or next, for all i know. I just think there's a logic here that takes Character, B&M releases, production limitations, and the reality of this fandom/its popularity & sales potential into account.
I do agree! I was being a bit rhetorical about releasing ALL companions to make my point that we need patience with the companion release schedule. While I'd love all of them, I'd settle for the representative ones such Susan, Jamie, Tegan etc. But as you point out, who would say no to Mel or Adric (or Viki or Sarah Kingdom or Ben Jackson...?), so there's room for the less representative, more surprising choices. Don't get me wrong, I think it's remarkable the classic figures have continued and I'm optimistic about the line's future. If the show gets a boost in the next few years, who knows, we might see an expansion of the toys/merch range - and a consequential expansion of the figure line. There's a chance a Tegan could appear the way the first Sarah Jane did, as a new series figure. I'm slightly disappointed there's no classic companion this year - assuming rumours are accurate etc - but that's how it goes! But that means whichever companion appears next will be probably one of the long awaited ones - they're the only ones left!

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

I'm holding out hope for a Susan in the 1st Doctor TARDIS set, since my gut feeling is it's based on DIOE, with Al's comments elsewhere on this board about having tooled a Season 2 lamp. DOIE is one of the more iconic 1st Doctor stories, so would make for a good packaging backdrop, and the moment where the Doctor leaves Susan behind is an iconic moment, so a set recreating that (with a SFX TARDIS that can make the take-off sounds) seems like quite the good set idea.

Anyway, in terms of Classic Companions, Susan, Barbara, Jamie and Tegan are sorta the ones I'm after, with Turlough and Liz being sorta easy to create too. A Zoe would be nice though, as would a Nyssa, but they're likely going to be unfeasible, atleast at this time. Some of the audio companions would also be good (Evelyn, Hex, Charley, Lucie, Liv), especially for 8, though I suspect my prayers will be answered here with that 8th Doctor three pack. Can't be too much longer before we find out what's in that pack, should only be a matter of a couple weeks tops. Soon now, very soon...

Barnaby Bright

Post by Barnaby Bright »

The Outcast wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:33 am
I'm holding out hope for a Susan in the 1st Doctor TARDIS set, since my gut feeling is it's based on DIOE, with Al's comments elsewhere on this board about having tooled a Season 2 lamp. DOIE is one of the more iconic 1st Doctor stories, so would make for a good packaging backdrop, and the moment where the Doctor leaves Susan behind is an iconic moment, so a set recreating that (with a SFX TARDIS that can make the take-off sounds) seems like quite the good set idea.

Anyway, in terms of Classic Companions, Susan, Barbara, Jamie and Tegan are sorta the ones I'm after, with Turlough and Liz being sorta easy to create too. A Zoe would be nice though, as would a Nyssa, but they're likely going to be unfeasible, atleast at this time. Some of the audio companions would also be good (Evelyn, Hex, Charley, Lucie, Liv), especially for 8, though I suspect my prayers will be answered here with that 8th Doctor three pack. Can't be too much longer before we find out what's in that pack, should only be a matter of a couple weeks tops. Soon now, very soon...
Packing Susan with the DIOE Tardis would be an excellent choice but I'd be (happily) surprised. Obviously it would be the first time they'd packaged a companion with a Tardis, which would work as an added selling point. In this case though I think the added selling point will be the SFX, so they won't need to go further by including a new figure: they might go down the route of the fur-coated Troughton and have a new Hartnell. Still, a Susan would be lovely all the same...

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

I have to say I really dislike the idea of releasing Susan with a TARDIS. I have neither the money nor the space for another TARDIS so that would essentially make Susan unobtainable for me, :cry: barring I suppose some kind person on eBay listing the figure separately for a reasonable price, not £20-30. So no bueno on that idea from me if you're reading Al.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

I don't really want another TARDIS either, but I don't really think they'd do another 1st Doctor reissue unless it was a major variant of some sort. A TUAT TARDIS would be a good release, but considering the hint of a Season 2 lamp, I genuinely think the Susan and TARDIS set is more likely with the hints we've gotten.

Obviously it's not ideal for we folks who've got too many TARDISes, but it makes sense that they'd put a desirable figure in with a TARDIS that's similar to the previous one, which gives reason for collectors who got last year's TARDIS to get this one, whilst also giving the opportunity for folks who didn't get the last TARDIS to get a basically identical one.

Anyway, it can't be much longer now until we see what the TARDIS set actually is. We've gotta get some images of the next lot of sets soon.

Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Personally I really like the idea of a another Tardis set with Susan, I’ve probably got enough tardis’s already but I never bought all the variants (such as the muddied visitation one, mainly because my local b and ms didn’t have any) so this possible new version most likely will be my last and a Susan figure would be lovely. And also because I failed to get the new 1st doctor Tardis with the new roof, and it wasn’t for the lack of trying, looking for that one probably made me visit the most b and ms I’ve ever been too.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Really, the "1st Doctor and TARDIS" set concept two years in a row from a less commercially celebrated era is actually one of the big reasons I find the whole "Current Wave Rumour" suspicious, bordering on unlikely.

If it provides something NEW with the TARDIS (Beyond sound, as I kind of doubt that's gonna tip the scales for Classic Series fans with multiple Hartnells and/or TARDISes), it makes much more sense - especially if the figure offered is something "new".

There's not much left they can do with Hartnell variants (especially with a rumoured Season 2 roof, for all those "War Machines/Tenth Planet" fans welcoming that cloaked opportunity) that wouldn't require a new head or outfit anyway, and to many people an "Unearthly Child" 1st Doctor and TARDIS are not going to be that different from a Season 2 1st Doctor and TARDIS. But a whole "new" figure? That might help.

And make the rumoured wave a bit more believable (to me, anyway).

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

The "rumoured" wave is definitely genuine, the DoctorWhoSite checked it with B&M. And it does happen to align with the little hints and things we got from the Toymaker when they were still on these forums. I think if these were fake (which they're not), they'd probably feature some more Classic sets, considering we've tended to get Classic Who based sets for a while.

So we definitely are getting an 8th Doctor set, and hopefully we'll have some pictures of the contents of that set shortly (early-mid July), and not in late August or something.

Telecaster

Post by Telecaster »

I'm still puzzled by the fourth First Doctor figure within two years... although it'll be nice for people who couldn't get their hands on last year's TARDIS set to have another chance later this year.