B&M doctor who sets.

Emperor Omega

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Emperor Omega »

At least that part under the neck is easy to paint ourselves.

Directly under the slats & mesh? That's gonna be more tricky. Especially since it looks like these new slats sit lower.

What was the reason for the change? The old slats have been used for, like, 14 years. Did they just want to refresh it?

Frax Owen

Post by Frax Owen »

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:13 pm
I've asked him about similar production whoopsies like this in the past, and the answer seems to always be a miscommunication along the line, the people making these are following a set of instructions, they're not going to be ardent doctor who purists who know by heart what these things are meant to look like, they get a template, a set of instructions to follow and they do that, and every so often something will get missed out of their to-do lists, and we end up with a whole run of daleks with the wrong eyestalk, or a bit painted the wrong colour. Even Al isn't infallible, no-one can reasonably expect anyone to have the entire encyclopedia of small who trivia dedicated to memory, so occasionally a Benton figure will go all the way from Al saying "make it so" to the shelf with sergeant stripes when the figure is from a story where he should be RSM. Human error somewhere on the chain.

The error happens again and they still expect us to buy them as they know we will. Can they not request a sample for approval or something?
I’m getting a little tired of the make do and mend with this range, I’ve been a defender of this line for years but I’d rather they just said this year hey we don’t have the budget but we will be back next year. Kind of hoping we get a re release of history of the daleks sets 9 and 10 with corrected paint apps like the original releases, you know like 10 years ago when they could match paint colours and not miss bits haha…back when they had painting and communication skills. Maybe they could show them a pic of the 2008 and 2009 releases and ask them to match, we don’t have to get complicated. Make a massive blow up of the previous versions and slap it on the factory wall. Sorry I’m getting facetious now, maybe it’s the heat and the disappointment sinking in or both lol.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

10 years ago we had the multiple releases of that weird wrong colours overcoat tom, these mistakes happen, it's not that often. It's a shame, for sure, but it happens.

Frax Owen

Post by Frax Owen »

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:34 pm
10 years ago we had the multiple releases of that weird wrong colours overcoat tom, these mistakes happen, it's not that often. It's a shame, for sure, but it happens.
Yes but when they get it right first time surely they could just match it. I don’t know, even the planet supreme doesn’t look right and I can’t find any evidence that the new ones match behind the scenes pics? Anyway I’ll still get them but as an enthusiastic collector of the history sets I can’t help but be disappointed. It was a good opportunity to release the definitive versions of these classic daleks but these ones seem inferior to the originals.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Deborah J wrote:
I've asked him about similar production whoopsies like this in the past, and the answer seems to always be a miscommunication along the line, the people making these are following a set of instructions, they're not going to be ardent doctor who purists who know by heart what these things are meant to look like, they get a template, a set of instructions to follow and they do that, and every so often something will get missed out of their to-do lists, and we end up with a whole run of daleks with the wrong eyestalk, or a bit painted the wrong colour. Even Al isn't infallible, no-one can reasonably expect anyone to have the entire encyclopedia of small who trivia dedicated to memory, so occasionally a Benton figure will go all the way from Al saying "make it so" to the shelf with sergeant stripes when the figure is from a story where he should be RSM. Human error somewhere on the chain.
Thanks Deborah, yeah no one knows everything p, except maybe the guys at Dakek6388 who appear to know everything (although I’m sure even they don’t have it committed to memory). Most of these things are easy to fix anyway

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

If from the very outset something is designed with an error and that error is faithfully followed through on that's ‘one of those things’.

Where they have it right, then somewhere down the line something accidentally happens that diverts from design, and it (seemingly) goes undetected before the entire batch is made - that should not be happening.

Or maybe events happen that force a deliberate change, even if that change results in painted boots and long arms?

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

omega1963 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:38 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thanks Deborah, yeah no one knows everything p, except maybe the guys at Dakek6388 who appear to know everything (although I’m sure even they don’t have it committed to memory). Most of these things are easy to fix anyway
BUT you shouldn't need to fix things. Ok the great unwashed might not notice but these are clearly meant for us as much as them (who is the Who fan at B&M ?!) so getting it right isn't difficult (maybe it does cost a lot more for the black paint on a second piece!)

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Emperor Omega wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 pm
At least that part under the neck is easy to paint ourselves.

Directly under the slats & mesh? That's gonna be more tricky. Especially since it looks like these new slats sit lower.

What was the reason for the change? The old slats have been used for, like, 14 years. Did they just want to refresh it?
Put the dalek in boiling water to remove the slats, after removing the base, head and neck rings.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

RE the slats being a new sculpt, I hadn't even noticed that, and I've had the things in hand for weeks, but you're right, they are different. I'm not sure what the story is there, perhaps the old tooling had gotten damaged, or become soft from use, they have made a heck of a lot of daleks, especially the past few years.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Looking at the cover that the raggedy 10 is based on I think he's wearing the blue suit trousers, not the brown. Strangely that look only appears on the cover and isn't actually in the comic, where he just wears his blue suit and coat.