B&M doctor who sets.

Geeker_Things

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Geeker_Things »

I remember Al mentioning at one point that the Dalek moulds needed sharpening because of the constant mould reuse since HOTD set 1 was released, but there's a fat possibility the mould for the slat/mesh section was damaged or in disrepair, and most of the budget for this year went to making a new one.

Which is an utter shame because I dislike the new sculpt, it is noticeably soft and the mesh is not sharp in any way. Looks deplorable. Sure the new slats themselves are bigger and have smaller rivets, but the mesh is the worst thing about it. I fear we are no longer able to have 2 paint application layers for the mesh. (For example the white base and gold layer painted on top for Necros Daleks). That key detail is now no more and is probably impossible to replicate.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:55 pm
Looking at the cover that the raggedy 10 is based on I think he's wearing the blue suit trousers, not the brown. Strangely that look only appears on the cover and isn't actually in the comic, where he just wears his blue suit and coat.
I mean, for variety and using an existing sculpt (11th Hour 11) I get why this exists.

The weird part to me is...

Ok, so this seems to be the same basic body and headsculpt. Correct me if I'm wrong but the arms and wrap are the only changes. So, I get why this could save money but still offer variety. Nothing new beyond paint apps, same body, and same headsculpt even.

That said, I get ONE 10th variant that is based on a comic cover, and gives us a feasible 10 variant (coat off, tie & shirt - he actually does this onscreen a couple times, and if you ignore the untucked shirt it's not a bad approximate). I get the "Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" long coated figure - he wears that most of the episode.

It's the almost identical blue suited figure that I find most confusing/reduces value & appeal for me. If there ever was an instance where a shirt or tie colour variation would've been helpful (and probably not bank-breaking; Look at the 8th Doctor set), it's here.

Again, just my opinion and personal appeal. This could've been a dream package of Ainley Master, Tegan, and Turlough or literally anything with Jamie. I still realize that's great for me, not necessarily everyone else on here. And that's not even considering Character's budgets and concerns. I'm sure some people want this. I just worry it's not as wide an audience as a 10th Doctor set with 3 Tennants potentially could even be.

idontremembermylogin

Post by idontremembermylogin »

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:55 pm
Looking at the cover that the raggedy 10 is based on I think he's wearing the blue suit trousers, not the brown. Strangely that look only appears on the cover and isn't actually in the comic, where he just wears his blue suit and coat.
Yeah I thought someething weird was up when I saw the tie in the cover image, because he only ever wore that tie with the blue suit.
i'm boring now

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

Insta-@gallifreycustoms
Twitter-@Gallifrey_C
YouTube- GallifreyCustoms

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over 15 years!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Wholords2 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:59 am
https://youtu.be/eJerC2uVqME
Lovely review, I love the tone of it, very open and honest about your own feelings on the set, enthusiastic without going over the top, nice balance of positives and negatives, it made for very pleasant watching. Congrats on getting the sets in advance, I'd been wondering earlier who else got them, I knew I did, and obviously batmanmatch and jimipie but I was sure there must be more than just the three of us.

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:34 am
Wholords2 wrote:
Lovely review, I love the tone of it, very open and honest about your own feelings on the set, enthusiastic without going over the top, nice balance of positives and negatives, it made for very pleasant watching. Congrats on getting the sets in advance, I'd been wondering earlier who else got them, I knew I did, and obviously batmanmatch and jimipie but I was sure there must be more than just the three of us.
Thank you! That’s so kind of you!

Yeah I’m on the influencer list for evolutionPR and I was one of the lucky few to get a sample set from the wave!
Insta-@gallifreycustoms
Twitter-@Gallifrey_C
YouTube- GallifreyCustoms

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over 15 years!

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:34 am
Wholords2 wrote:
The review comes from @Gallifrey_C on twitter ( or @gallifreycustoms on instagram). Splended chap!

Independently Cross

Post by Independently Cross »

JamieBate wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:11 am
I’m off to scower Death to the Daleks screen caps to work out which combinations of clear/orange dome lights, ovals between the gun boxes and machine guns appear…
If you're putting in all that admirable work, mate:
I'd love to know the answer, too!

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

I've also had a go at that and as far as I can tell there are these variants, and basically all of them have ovals which is a little annoying.

Goon variant:
Black base, silver top surface only
2x black ball joints
Black gun
Clear lights
No oval

Orange standard:
Orange Lights
Grey added to eyestalk
1x black ball joint on gun
1x silver ball joint on plunger
Black gun
Oval

Standard Variant:
Clear Lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x black ball joints
Black gun
Oval

Orange with machine gun:
Orange lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x silver ball joints
Machine gun
Oval

Standard machine gun
Clear lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x silver ball joints
Machine gun
Oval

Standard machine gun 1x black ball joint
Clear lights
Grey added to eyestalk
1x silver ball joint on gun
1x black ball joint on plunger
Machine gun
Oval

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Doctor What wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm
I've also had a go at that and as far as I can tell there are these variants, and basically all of them have ovals which is a little annoying.

Goon variant:
Black base, silver top surface only
2x black ball joints
Black gun
Clear lights
No oval

Orange standard:
Orange Lights
Grey added to eyestalk
1x black ball joint on gun
1x silver ball joint on plunger
Black gun
Oval

Standard Variant:
Clear Lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x black ball joints
Black gun
Oval

Orange with machine gun:
Orange lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x silver ball joints
Machine gun
Oval

Standard machine gun
Clear lights
Grey added to eyestalk
2x silver ball joints
Machine gun
Oval

Standard machine gun 1x black ball joint
Clear lights
Grey added to eyestalk
1x silver ball joint on gun
1x black ball joint on plunger
Machine gun
Oval
Thanks for all the hard work! I was just going to check Dalek6388 and see what they had but this seems very thorough. Looks like I’m going to have to get numerous sets to try and make these