General set proposals

skifflebits

Re: General set proposals

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am

Season 16
Stuff that could be done: The Black Guardian
Stuff that Requires More: The Pirate Captain.
I may be in the minority, but I'd totally shell out for a Stones of Blood set with the Ogri, Cessair of Diplos, and a barrister wig for Tom Baker.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:18 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:

Season 16
I may be in the minority, but I'd totally shell out for a Stones of Blood set with the Ogri, Cessair of Diplos, and a barrister wig for Tom Baker.
Further shoutouts to Aggedor, Bellal, the big-headed Ice Warrior, lotsa Spiders, Noah and Vira, Solon and Condo, Harrison Chase & Scorby, Borusa, Li'hisen Chang, Count Grendel, the Swampies, the Shadow, Duggan, & Skagra - Character absolutely could make some of these, but I would bet on finally getting that fur coat 2nd Doctor, Mel, or Dodo before any of them. Hence my other list. :)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 am
skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:18 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:

Season 16
Further shoutouts to Aggedor, Bellal, the big-headed Ice Warrior, lotsa Spiders, Noah and Vira, Solon and Condo, Harrison Chase & Scorby, Borusa, Li'hisen Chang, Count Grendel, the Swampies, the Shadow, Duggan, & Skagra - Character absolutely could make some of these, but I would bet on finally getting that fur coat 2nd Doctor, Mel, or Dodo before any of them. Hence my other list. :)
:)

I would also like to point out that a Swampie head can serve double-duty as a Movellan head. Not that pointing it out will affect anything. :)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

borusa seems doable, we have a timelord robed body, just need to take off the collar, and they could pretty much reuse the body 4 times, painted two different colours, to do all 4 borusii, so we can all get our favourites. My favourite borusa is invasion of time.

Spannerintheworks

So now that we KNOW they're at least looking at the 1960s....

So, hot take - Doing the Voord and Sensorites is an awesome move.

Because after them, there's....not much else beyond companions.

No, really.

So, if we look at:

*Single figures (not deluxe size) that fit B&M parameters
*Things that seem like they could be done off an existing base with new heads, wraps, extremities, etc. NOT 100% new figures.
*Characters/aliens that have some following/fan recognition. (They could do the Moroks, but would anyone care?)

Then we get...

Hartnell era
*Koquillion - This would look great, and really just need a new head/hands. Still a bit obscure, though.
*Drahvins - Totally seems doable, and they got name checked in the modern series. Still pretty obscure.
*The Monk - So, here's one that would get some interest. Literally the only returning actor/role in the 60s villain game. Yes, not "Master" level notoriety, but still. There'd be likeness rights to sort though, I'd assume. But hey! Eaglemoss did it...
*The Celestial Toymaker - Here's another one that people do remember, and would seemingly be pretty straightforward. Again, I imagine there's likeness permissions, and Michael Gough is even still pretty name-recognized. But, again, Eaglemoss did it...

Maybe?
*Monoids - I mean, you could approximate them but I feel like it'd be an all new figure
*Menoptera - I feel like they'd be a LOT. Yeah, it's a guy in a suit, but that's a LOT of suit.

Troughton
*Fish People - Laugh all you want, this would seem to be doable. Just not really sure it'd be of interest.
*Chameleons - Here's a GREAT one. Could probably just reuse Decayed Master hands too, if compatible. Seriously, a great option.

But after that....
Maybe?
*The Dominators - Let's ignore rights (It's the Yeti people); as apparently that might not be the issue we thought it was. First, there's actual actor likenesses. (Unless they imply it's just a generic Dominator, not from the story - if that's even possible.) Next, have you seen those fancy sleeves? It's either a LOT of new or some inaccuracy comes in to play.

*Salamander - This isn't the easy figure it seems like; It's a new head and the outfit requires a new body. Unless there's a (shorter) body reuse I'm not thinking of that lends itself to a new wrap.....

*Wheel In Space Cyberman - He's an "Invasion" Cyberman with a different head, different piping, modded "Tomb" chest unit, and different body wrap. Is that easy and cheap? Probably not. But it's also an iconic foe and the things we ARE seeing on figures (new heads, new wraps, modded parts, now new limbs) make it more feasible, especially if the "Invasion" base is reusable.

After those, we have historical characters (even New Who figures mostly avoided these, and the RTD era would've been the time to do them!), monsters who require deluxe figures (Yeti, Slyther), Monsters who are practically playsets/vehicles (The Rills, The Macra), Aliens who are SUPER obscure (the Aridians, any delegate in "Mission to the Unknown"), or regulars/villains who are of debatable wide appeal. (Thals, Tobias Vaughn, Professor Travers, the War Lord, etc.)

So yeah, unless I'm forgetting something, the Sensorites and (likely) Voord are kinda top of the heap here.

Unless we talk companions. ;)
Last edited by Spannerintheworks on Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I do feel like WIS cybermen would be doable with the current model, the base body is an existing figure, just needing new heads and possibly a new or retooled chest piece, and they could pop two in the pack together, a few years ago I'd have written them off but I feel like they'd be very doable I'd say, if they were feeling very flash, they could stick a Jamie in with them, but I think that would be too much new stuff since Jamie would need almost entirely new pieces, even if they went the easiest route with jacketless mind robber jamie that's still new legs and head and a kilt piece. So idk what else they could put in with the cyberbois, it would be a good set, I think cybies are quite popular so I imagine it'd sell well

Spannerintheworks

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm
I do feel like WIS cybermen would be doable with the current model, the base body is an existing figure, just needing new heads and possibly a new or retooled chest piece, and they could pop two in the pack together, a few years ago I'd have written them off but I feel like they'd be very doable I'd say, if they were feeling very flash, they could stick a Jamie in with them, but I think that would be too much new stuff since Jamie would need almost entirely new pieces, even if they went the easiest route with jacketless mind robber jamie that's still new legs and head and a kilt piece. So idk what else they could put in with the cyberbois, it would be a good set, I think cybies are quite popular so I imagine it'd sell well
It's "The Wheel in Space" so.....2 Cybermen and Zoe? New head/body reuse. Martha (red jacket) would be somewhat close. No less accurate than Romana 1 from "The Pirate Planet".

Seriously, if they dive into the Troughton era that Cyberman is a desirable figure.

TV8

Post by TV8 »

My 2 cents: I'd rather Character Options didn't overdo the idea of re-using old parts to make new figures. If that becomes more and more acceptable to management/bean counters, we might as well scrap the current figure format and go down the conceptually-barren Pop! Vinyl path of just painting different markings on the same body, over, and over again. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard the arguments about cost and profit, there's nothing new to be said there, I would just rather a trade off that results in fewer sets but with newer characters than a slew of "this sort of works if you squint at it" Frankenstein figures. You know, if that's economically possible.
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.

canton the Fifth

Post by canton the Fifth »

TV8 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 am
My 2 cents: I'd rather Character Options didn't overdo the idea of re-using old parts to make new figures. If that becomes more and more acceptable to management/bean counters, we might as well scrap the current figure format and go down the conceptually-barren Pop! Vinyl path of just painting different markings on the same body, over, and over again. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard the arguments about cost and profit, there's nothing new to be said there, I would just rather a trade off that results in fewer sets but with newer characters than a slew of "this sort of works if you squint at it" Frankenstein figures. You know, if that's economically possible.
I definitely agree that the Pop! Vinyl route would be a bad move for action figures, but I do think CO are a long way off from that kind of format. The recent B&M figures have made pretty effective use of old bodies - I don't think anyone would have blinked and eye if the Benton and Yates figures had been released as single-carded figures back in the day, especially as reusing parts wasn't uncommon, for example Rory or Count Scarlioni, both of which used Primeval figures as a base. There have been some recent figures which require squinting, like the first release of Romana I and the second release of Romana II, but overall I think CO have been pretty creative with using what resources they have.

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

TV8 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 am
As we've seen; I don't think CO have the budget for entirely new figures. Even the Thirteenth Doctor mould still uses Martha Jones' legs and isn't a wholly new figure itself, the only brand new mould we've had of late has been the Reconnaisance Dalek.

So if its a choice between a damn passable approximation (as with Romana II/Sarah Jane) or nothing at all, I know what I'm choosing. We're getting frigging Sensorites for gods sake! Action figures of characters we haven't seen on screen since 1964 for gods sake! These are halcyon days!

Your mileage may vary of course but its the B&M range that has inspired me to start collection the figures so I'm always going to sing their praises!