General set proposals

skifflebits

Re: General set proposals

Post by skifflebits »

IIRC, Varl was a little shorter, too. Not that these figures are much in scale.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

yeah, varl would probably be heights with what they made Stike, Stikeyboi should have been taller, but they have one sontaran sculpt, they were never going to make a tall one, that would be a lot of effort with little purpose

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:44 pm
yeah, varl would probably be heights with what they made Stike, Stikeyboi should have been taller, but they have one sontaran sculpt, they were never going to make a tall one, that would be a lot of effort with little purpose
But... We're Doctor Who toy collectors. We're all about wanting CO to put in a lot of effort with little purpose.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

Can I have this set please
Whispermen
Whispermen
WhisprmenSet3.png (166.02 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

SJF

Post by SJF »

Snakedance Collectors Set
Tegan Jovanka (Androzani Peri body, new head, new pvc jacket if we’re lucky too)
Nyssa (Ace body without jacket repainted, new head)
The Mara (Prisoner Zero body, new head)

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Behold, I have envisioned a new wave (excluding HOTD sets)

Monster set:
Cyberman (Revenge of the Cybermen)
Whisperman (Snowmen 11th Doctor body, new head)
Kerblam man (Brig body, new wrap, hands and head)

Variant Monster set:
Sea Devil
Meglos (S18 4th Doctor repaint with added spikes)
Half-face man (Snowmen 11th Doctor body, new head and left hand)

Season 4 set:
2nd Doctor (Power of the Daleks, repaint)
Jamie (Evil of the Daleks, reuse of axon body, new lower legs (lower legs and boots all one piece for costs), new head, new hip section with kilt)
Cyberman (Moonbase/Tomb)

Season 6 set:
Jamie (the Mind Robber)
Ice Lord (Seeds of Death, new head, hands and a chest armour piece on axon generic body)
The War Chief (Delgado Master body, new head, added neckless, reuse ungloved hands from other figures)

TARDIS set:
8th Doctor (TLV, NOTD figure repaint)
TARDIS (The Movie, 13th Doctor TARDIS door sign reuse, new lamp, original base and stacked roof pieces)

7th Doctor and Davros set:
7th Doctor (Remembrance of the Daleks)
Davros (Remembrance of the Daleks)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

The Outcast wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 am
Behold, I have envisioned a new wave (excluding HOTD sets)

Monster set:
Cyberman (Revenge of the Cybermen)
Whisperman (Snowmen 11th Doctor body, new head)
Kerblam man (Brig body, new wrap, hands and head)

Variant Monster set:
Sea Devil
Meglos (S18 4th Doctor repaint with added spikes)
Half-face man (Snowmen 11th Doctor body, new head and left hand)

Season 4 set:
2nd Doctor (Power of the Daleks, repaint)
Jamie (Evil of the Daleks, reuse of axon body, new lower legs (lower legs and boots all one piece for costs), new head, new hip section with kilt)
Cyberman (Moonbase/Tomb)

Season 6 set:
Jamie (the Mind Robber)
Ice Lord (Seeds of Death, new head, hands and a chest armour piece on axon generic body)
The War Chief (Delgado Master body, new head, added neckless, reuse ungloved hands from other figures)

TARDIS set:
8th Doctor (TLV, NOTD figure repaint)
TARDIS (The Movie, 13th Doctor TARDIS door sign reuse, new lamp, original base and stacked roof pieces)

7th Doctor and Davros set:
7th Doctor (Remembrance of the Daleks)
Davros (Remembrance of the Daleks)
Maybe things have changed, but I remember Al at one point last year saying a Meglos 4th Doctor would require too much cost wise. (Admittedly, that's a REALLY detailed head/hands piece).

I'm also going to guess that the reason we haven't seen a fabric based rerelease (Omega, Sea Devils) is cost too. Anyone have any experience/more info with that?

But to be positive, "Remembrance" Davros is a GREAT figure and 100% deserving of a reissue. Shame it would be with either nearly an exact duplicate of 7 or Ace that we've had in the last couple years. But hey, make it a hatless 7 (white coat, of course) and that's better there.

And that Ice Lord! I've theorized that could be done in a similar fashion and new Sensorite feet make that even more reasonable. If they do 2nd Doctor era packs like they seem to be for Hartnell, I feel like it's going to be Cybermen (Tomb reissues or Wheel versions), that Ice Lord, or the Chameleons (VERY feasible).

Betcha the Kerblam! Man will wait until we get 13/current era packs again. (Especially as the way things are going, it's an option to replace the now probably avoided Captain Jack reissue that once seemed likely.) Al and crew have to be relieved that they're getting a Series 13 companion who will be an easy new head/"Primeval" body reuse again. ;)

Honestly I feel like the 8th Doctor TARDIS is a shoo-in at this point if they don't do Hartnell. We've had multiple 3s, 5s and 4s (And really, 5 variant repaints are almost exhausted barring the "Logopolis" Regeneration). You could do more of 3 and 4, but they'd need significant variants now. (Admittedly, there is a pretty popular 4 reissue - Season 18 - that they haven't done, and a Season 8 3 with a purple lined cloak is still outstanding. Outside of those two though....)

6 is, as far as we know, still not an option. And 2 and 7 have the same issue - The figure has seen rerelease recently in multiple forms, one even with a TARDIS. A new one is gonna need a new head, wrap, something to not seem repetitive. (Ironically, both have great coat-wearing prototypes we never got.)

Other than Hartnell, the 8th Doctor is a simple reissue/repaint with any of his 3 variants (TVM, Big Finish, Night of the Doctor) being collector-desirable with either a straight reissue or repaint/paint update. The TARDIS is an easy approximate now with the 13 roof. If TARDIS sets continue as they have, I'd comfortably wager him next after a potential 1st Doctor set.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

I'm not sure how they'd do it tbh but I'm dying for a set with Kate and Osgood. They could always throw in a repaint of 11 from DotD or another Capaldi paint variant to keep the costs down, given the other obvious inclusion from their stories would be an updated Zygon or Cyberman

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

I'd be keen on an Inferno set with Liz Shaw, Stahlman (made from a Doctor Constantine body with a new Primord head on top) and either the Brigade Leader, Season 7 Pertwee or Benton with another Primord head on top of his Axos body.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

So, thinking WAY ahead....

Let's ASSUME the rumoured "Marinus" set is a similar format to the leaked Sensorites set. (So, 2 Voord and a Doctor variant/MAYBE a companion. But less likely so the latter.) So basically, favour army build aliens/monsters and Doctor variants.

What would you want to see going forward?

1st Doctor
They just did the really good ones. (Sensorites/rumoured Voord). And the remaining "army-build" type 1st Doctor foes aren't necessarily best/appealing. (Robomen, Drahvins, etc.) So, if they do a further 1st Doctor set with this format:

"10th Planet" 1st Doctor (standard body/cloak/astrakhan) - 2 Cybermen

2nd Doctor
This era has barely been dipped into by comparison with others. Unfortunately, many 2nd Doctor foes would be elaborate deluxe figures, a la either Yeti or the Macra. That said, there are still some pretty cool options here.

With the "Sensorites" format:
2nd Doctor (Brown Tartan trousers) - 2 Chameleons

2nd Doctor (repaint, existing figure) - Ice Warrior (existing reissue/repaint) - Slaar (Jek body w/new head/chestpiece/hands)

2nd Doctor (New Hatted head) - 2 "Wheel in Space" Cybermen.

While the Doctor outfits aren't 100% in line with the stories, I just tried for variety along the parameters of what we've seen.

Alternatively, there's also THIS option:

Jamie McCrimmon (Black top) - 2 "Invasion" Cybermen
Jamie McCrimmon (White top) - 2 "Tomb" Cybermen

Jamie is, arguably, a case where you could make ONE companion for the Doctor and most would be satisfied with that companion representation. Plus, he could conveniently be packed with identical existing variants of arguably the 2nd most popular foe the show has which have been unavailable anywhere from 5-10 years.

Third Doctor
Again, there are some less celebrated options here I'll skip (Sure, you COULD do the Primitives from "Colony in Space"....) - Also, there are some Doctor - Master - (Insert monster) options, and Liz Shaw too. But focusing more on the "Doctor + 2 monster variants" angle...

3rd Doctor (Season 7) + Primords (As noted, you could put a new head and hands on a UNIT body or Dr Constantine and this would work)

3rd Doctor (red coat/purple cloak) - 2 yellow suited "daffodil" Autons (Either without "big heads", with removable big heads, or fixed big heads.)

3rd Doctor (Tartan Cloak) - Ice Warrior (repaint) - Ixzlyr (Jek body plus new hands/chestpiece w cape/helmet - Mind both the latter 2 are noticeably different from "Seeds of Death")

4th Doctor
I mean, is there much left? A lot is done, and others (Kraals, Wirrn) are beyond what we can expect right now.

That said, here's 3 with notable Doctor variants I'd pay for.

4th Doctor (Time Lord Robes) - 2 Time Lords (color variants) (Alternatively, a "Pyramids of Mars" 4th repaint with a hatless head works here too.

4th Doctor (Season 17 tan coat with corrected Scarf a la "Shada") - 2 Movellans with guns (Jek Body w new head/wrap)

4th Doctor (Season 18) - 2 Argolins (Jek body + new head/robe wrap. (This set could really go the extra mile and have an "Aged 4th Doctor" head. But the Season 18 standard figure is desirable on its own.

5th Doctor
So......MAYBE we're getting the Raston Warrior Robot and "Earthshock" android. If not, they totally fit here. But otherwise, it's kind of slim pickings.....

I guess, with some cheats regarding hanging belt items, you could do:

5th Doctor (Season 21) - 2 Dalek Troopers (Jek body plus new heads/chest wraps/guns)

But frankly, this era more than any other I hope we focus on companions (or the Master) and avoid Doctor variants.

6th Doctor
Look, we apparently can't even get a Colin costume, so why think a Vervoid is possible? He dealt with standalone individuals onscreen more often than army build aliens as well.

7th Doctor
Unfortunately we're back to less easily figure-based alien races (hello Tetraps), obscure ones (um, Hi husks), or both (Yay Navarinos).

But, one good opportunity would be:

7th Doctor (Hatted Season 26) - 2 Haemovores (New heads/hands and MANY distressed paint app body reuses. Marco from Series 6 and the UNIT bodies stand out as prime picks.)