General set proposals

Bundesrat

Re: General set proposals

Post by Bundesrat »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 pm
On the other hand, this could've been easily papered over and satisfied most fans if, when the Doctor, (Cyber)Bill, Missy, and the Master stood at the lift, a "Wheel in Space" or "Earthshock" model had trundled out. One additional costume.
Exactly - and like the Asylum episode I’m sure they’d have had no problems borrowing one if they hold none in stock.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

I loved the "History of the Cybermen" idea, but I think it does regrettably skip over some eras. Or require substantial new molds.

Why not work them into something like this.....

A History of Monsters

(If not a repack repaint, then a new head/wrap/etc is implied. A new figure will be designated, and rarely employed)

1st Doctor - 1st Doctor w/cloak & standard head, Tenth Planet Cyberman w/cloak (that DID happen!), Voord

2nd Doctor - 2nd Doctor with hat, "Tomb" Cyberman, Chameleon

3rd Doctor Third Doctor w purple lined cloak (red or blue jacket), Ice Warrior (70s repaint), Ice Lord

4th Doctor Season 18 (ideally with hat), "Revenge" Cyberman w/Cybermat, Stor

5th Doctor 5th Doctor in Season 21 colors, "Earthshock" Cyberleader, Omega (new head and wrap on Jek figure with Cape + costume remainder done with paint app)

6th Doctor "Real Time" 6 (making the coat affordable as it's a simpler paint job), Varl, Cybercontroller

7th Doctor TVM 7 with waistcoat wrap, Haemovore 1 & 2 (new heads/hands on 2 diff body reuses)

8th Doctor NOTD reissue, Kroton the Cyberman, Brian the Ood.

9th Doctor Black Jumper 9, Bride Auton, Gasmask child

10th Doctor "Time Crash" figure or paint variant, "The Next Doctor" Cyberleader, Andy/The Flood (technically doable with a new body wrap and head)

11th Doctor Green Coat 11, Series 7 Cyberman (New figure, obviously), Underhenge Cyberman with open mask

12th Doctor Series 9 12 w/waistcoat wrap & maroon coat, Mondasian Cyberman (repaint, optionally w new chest unit/tubes), New Series Ice Warrior (New Figure)

13th Doctor 13 coatless (new body wrap/arm swap), Cyberwarrior (New Figure), P'ting (More an accessory, but hey. If Ryan can make a big deal about him, so can I)

This would cover a lot of holes, and I feel like the new figures cover some pretty requested ground, just like the reissues or new head/wraps would.

Spannerintheworks

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
On the other hand, this could've been easily papered over and satisfied most fans if, when the Doctor, (Cyber)Bill, Missy, and the Master stood at the lift, a "Wheel in Space" or "Earthshock" model had trundled out. One additional costume.
Exactly - and like the Asylum episode I’m sure they’d have had no problems borrowing one if they hold none in stock.
Is... there a replica of one to borrow? I think the Experience only held a "Silver Nenesis" costume at one point. The rest of what they had were helmets. The "Earthshock" ones barely survived and what was left (they didn't look good) were sold via auction. I know a museum restored one. I think ONE "Moonbase" era suit survives in private hands (and it's also clearly 50 years old and discoloured/missing piping and tubing) and while some "Revenge" heads may survive, it was a big deal that even a GLOVE of the Invasion/Revenge costumes exist.

People build and rent Daleks all the time ("The Witch's Familar" is more rental than BBC held props), but I'm not sure Cybermen enjoy the same replica status. I've only ever seen "Earthshock" and New Series models at convention or Comic-Con.

Also - bluntly - knowing that a 60s or 70s era replica was going out in glorious HD on BBC1, I imagine they'd want to refine, say, a "Wheel" model so it looked less like a guy wearing whiffle balls and vacuum tubes. Much like they did with the "Tenth Planet" models.

Still, totally something they could've done. I'd have lost one Mondasian model for a midpoint evolution cameo before the Cybus or Nightmare model popped up.
Last edited by Spannerintheworks on Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roller74

Post by Roller74 »

3rd doctor cyberman is easy, radio times hybrid 😊

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 pm
Bundesrat wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Is... there a replica of one to borrow? I think the Experience only held a "Silver Nenesis" costume at one point. The rest of what they had were helmets. The "Earthshock" ones barely survived and what was left (they didn't look good) were sold via auction. I know a museum restored one. I think ONE "Moonbase" era suit survives in private hands (and it's also clearly 50 years old and discoloured/missing piping and tubing) and while some "Revenge" heads may survive, it was a big deal that even a GLOVE of the Invasion/Revenge costumes exist.

People build and rent Daleks all the time ("The Witch's Familar" is more rental than BBC held props), but I'm not sure Cybermen enjoy the same replica status. I've only ever seen "Earthshock" and New Series models at convention or Comic-Con.

Also - bluntly - knowing that a 60s or 70s era replica was going out in glorious HD on BBC1, I imagine they'd want to refine, say, a "Wheel" model so it looked less like a guy wearing whiffle balls and vacuum tubes. Much like they did with the "Tenth Plsnet" models.

Still, totally something they could've done. I'd lost one Mondasian model for a midpoint evolution cameo before the Cybus or Nightmare model popped up.
I said all along we should have seen other Cybermen not just Mondasian and the two latest. Theres hundreds of fan costumes around so would have been easy to do.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Dalekoddjob wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am
I said all along we should have seen other Cybermen not just Mondasian and the two latest. Theres hundreds of fan costumes around so would have been easy to do.
Hmmm... I'm willing to bet an interview with the production designer might reveal that "easy" might not have been so easy, but yeah, it would have been a nice nod.

Still, I can't say I particularly missed it at the time.

BOT, I just want the Silver/Season 8 Cyberman and the Season 12 Cyberman finally committed to plastic. :)

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm
Dalekoddjob wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am
Hmmm... I'm willing to bet an interview with the production designer might reveal that "easy" might not have been so easy, but yeah, it would have been a nice nod.

Still, I can't say I particularly missed it at the time.

BOT, I just want the Silver/Season 8 Cyberman and the Season 12 Cyberman finally committed to plastic. :)
Having had some photos taken with fan costumes at conventions I can say they stand up very well to the high resolution photos, I can’t think it would be in any way difficult to of included a couple.

BOT, I’d like to see some Time Lords; Monk, Valeyard, Inquisitor, Borusa - and of course Ainley Master

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Has anyone else seen this twitter? https://twitter.com/AndrozaniChap I stumble upon them every so often, they have really fun mockup sets, a lot of them I would love to see if they were real. Like this set for Terror of the Autons, they could totally make this, provided heads were compatible, I would so buy one Image

Spannerintheworks

Deborah J wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:13 pm
Has anyone else seen this twitter? https://twitter.com/AndrozaniChap I stumble upon them every so often, they have really fun mockup sets, a lot of them I would love to see if they were real. Like this set for Terror of the Autons, they could totally make this, provided heads were compatible, I would so buy one Image
I love this and would buy it even though they're all reuses/swaps/repaints, but....

Technically that Auton should have one of the glassy, mouthless heads. (Mind, that wouldn't be an impossible accommodation given recent sets.) And I'd probably buy it with the inaccuracy regardless.

Spannerintheworks

So less a set Proposal, and more an abridged discussion I had with another group that I could call....

The 1970s: What's left, What's do-able?

Sure, the line is probably going to look to the 60s and 80s (hopefully). But frankly, the 70s and 3rd/4th Doctor eras seem to be popular/good for figure sales.

But is there much left that can be done? These are bypassing minor/supporting characters (with a couple exceptions) and focusing on companions, Monsters, semi-regular characters, or alien races (as the line has done lately.)

Season 7
Stuff that easily could be done (with existing production means):Liz Shaw. An Alien Ambassador (in spacesuit). A Lab outfit or Miltary outfit Primord.
Stuff that could sell/appeal but need more production-wise: A Silurian. Bessie.

Season 8
Stuff that could be done: The Master in a Suit. (Or "Colony in Space" getup). Benton or Yates in dress uniforms/caps. Various Auton variants.
Stuff requiring more: An Axon variant (different head, tendrils, etc.)

Season 9
Stuff that could be done: A "Peladon" Ice Warrior. An Ice Lord (debatably)
Stuff requiring more: An Ogron. Alpha Centauri. A Mutt.

Season 10
Stuff that could be done: Um, they've done most of them. And then some! (Love that Drashig...)
Stuff requiring more: A Draconian.

Season 11
Stuff that could be done: Peladon Ice Warriors. Arguably an Ice Lord, again.
Stuff requiring more: The Whomobile

Season 12
Stuff that could be done: Nyder. A Sontaran Marshall. Harry Sullivan in his blue coat.
Stuff requiring more: A Wirrn

Season 13
Stuff that could be done: Not much that hasn't been. But Bif Bang Pow saw Sorenson as the Anti-man as figure worthy, and that's do-able.
Stuff requiring more: A Kraal.

Season 14
Stuff that could be done: Time Lords - multiple variant options, at that. Jago & Litefoot.
Stuff that requires more: Eldrad (either form).

Season 15
Stuff that could be done: No offense to fans of "Underworld", "Sun Makers", etc, but I think we've gotten the essentials within production means.
Stuff that requires more: A Rutan. The Nucleus.

Season 16
Stuff that could be done: The Black Guardian
Stuff that Requires More: The Pirate Captain.

Season 17
Stuff that could be done: Again, I feel like we've hit the essentials here.
Stuff that requires more: Movellans. Nimons. Mandrels

So....yeah. With some notable exceptions (mostly in the early Pertwee and Hinchcliffe eras) there is not much left that really screams "Make it a figure!". But some good ones if they have to dip back there. ;)

And I mean, if we get ALL new figures in production again... 8-)